Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
Much more powerful on the SC is only if you go with the turbo engine which is the sad part.
It's the only engine being offered in Canada, so that's what I have to base my everything on. I think I'd be looking at the lineup with different eyes if the NA/FWD option was even an option here.

Good catch on the footnotes! I still want to know what Ford's 2.0T mpg will be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How is 40mpg in the city and 37mpg combined on 87 octane poor for the existing Maverick?
Notice how I was careful to specify that I was talking about the AWD.

Depreciation is your highest item cost if you go to any of the online "cost of ownership" calculation tools.
I believe you're right for people who flip cars every few years, but I pay cash for my vehicles and then drive them for 10-20 years, which negates depreciation and other financing losses. And frankly depreciation is something I've been concerned with in terms of buying a gas-powered truck. I suspect (and I could end up being wrong) that trying to sell a gas vehicle in 10 years will be akin to trying to sell a horse and buggy in 1950.

And I'm not totally ruling out either the Maverick or the SC at this point. But I've gone from "definitely buying one of them" to "willing to wait a year or two and see what's coming next."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Depends on your current vehicle
Absolutely right. That's been one of my hang-ups. I drive a 2012 Ford Focus and routinely get 38 MPG on a tank of gas. I have a 115 mile round-trip commute to work every day too, so mileage matters in my case. Stepping back from 38 to 25 MPG is hard to swallow in a brand new vehicle.

And you may be thinking that with a commute like that I should be looking at a Model 3. The rub is I'm a part-time beekeeper and I need to transport hives occasionally. That's why having a bed is important to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oh I thought you were talking about the Maverick needing to be electric because they didn't offer an efficient option. FYI, the Escape that the Maverick is based on has a AWD plugin hybrid version available that can drive electric only for a certain range with a decently powerful electric motor. Its been confirmed looking under the truck that the space they cut out under the vehicle for the current 1.1KWH battery for the non-plugin is very oversized, meaning they likely plan to introduce a plugin hybrid variant at some point. Since we know the hybrid can also be had in AWD on this platform, we're also likely to see that come if you can wait.

The only downside with the plugin hybrid is that AWD versions need to use a totally different independent rear suspension which is expensive and bumps up the price quite a bit. But that is likely to come much quicker than a pure EV Maverick, possibly on year 2 as often they like to keep the assembly line simple for the launch to work out kinks.
I suspect (and I could end up being wrong) that trying to sell a gas vehicle in 10 years will be akin to trying to sell a horse and buggy in 1950.
I don't see gas vehicles going anywhere anytime soon, especially for large vehicles. As it is right now, I've seen 12 year old Dodge Rams like mine going for $14K, which isn't bad for 150K mile+ vehicles that sold for $30K originally, as that's almost 50% value retention and so far the only non-wear item that has had to be replaced has been a cheap interior climate fan that started screeching, a door lock regulator that became too weak, and the water pump/fan clutch assembly that started squealing and wobbling, very lucky with just a few hundred bucks maintenance in over a decade and we were able to do the labor ourselves.

Its usually 8+ year old electrics that are impossible to sell, because the batteries are out of warranty. For example, the BMW i3 has a relatively small battery, and yet BMW charges $16K to replace it out of warranty after labor. This has caused out of battery warranty or close to out of warranty electric i3s to have huge depreciation, and is the highest depreciation vehicle in BMW's entire fleet, losing 60% of their value after 5 years even though most have extremely low mileage on them.

Many people correctly assumed that lithium batteries are WAAY coming down in price, and so when it came time to replace the battery in their decade old electric vehicle the batteries would be super cheap! Nope... :( The batteries are proprietary designs, often liquid cooled and under dangerously high voltage, meaning it requires specially certified technicians trained on that particular vehicle and a proprietary old-stock battery provided by the manufacturer since most vehicles don't have reputable aftermarket options available yet, at least not low production ones like that BMW.

While that can be a concern with the hybrid too, generally speaking old hybrids can still limp along even with a pretty degraded battery, since most of the motive force is coming from the gasoline engine anyway so its not like an electric where a degradation to 75% or less original range is a major problem for most. Luckily, because the batteries are so tiny, even if proprietary the replacement cost isn't that great, and they tend to be just tacked on rather than integrated into skateboard frames so disconnecting them is less involved.

·
Registered
252 Posts

I think I'll be waiting it out..
I wonder if they are full of poop. As far as I know, the Santa Cruz is only being assembled in the United States, not Korea. The US plant right now at least are only setup to assemble vehicles with the American made 2.5 and 2.5T engines, and any hybrid vehicles are shipped straight from the Korean plant.

Personally, if you do the waiting game you can end up waiting forever as maybe a hybrid will be announced but then you'll wait a couple years for the electric etc. :p

I've narrowed it down to two extremes, I'm either going with a rather barebones hybrid FWD Maverick as an economy truck and enjoy all the extra cash in my pocket, or I'm going to splurge on a luxury truck and get a 2.5T Santa Cruz limited.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wonder if they are full of poop. As far as I know, the Santa Cruz is only being assembled in the United States, not Korea. The US plant right now at least are only setup to assemble vehicles with the American made 2.5 and 2.5T engines, and any hybrid vehicles are shipped straight from the Korean plant.

Personally, if you do the waiting game you can end up waiting forever as maybe a hybrid will be announced but then you'll wait a couple years for the electric etc. :p

I've narrowed it down to two extremes, I'm either going with a rather barebones hybrid FWD Maverick as an economy truck and enjoy all the extra cash in my pocket, or I'm going to splurge on a luxury truck and get a 2.5T Santa Cruz limited.
I'm in the middle....Maverick XLT W/Lux pkg... Or Cruz SEL

·
Registered
250 Posts
... if you do the waiting game you can end up waiting forever ...
Well, here we all are! 6 years and almost 15000 posts later on this forum,...
...still waiting... still hopeful... somewhat

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, here we all are! 6 years and almost 15000 posts later on this forum,...
...still waiting... still hopeful... somewhat
Just received a VM from the Ford dealer I specified for the Maverick, though after further consideration I probably won't be going with the Maverick, and at this point I'm souring on the Cruz as well; at least Ford contacted me, Hyundai nothing but a $100 charge on my credit card.

·
Registered
324 Posts
at least Ford contacted me, Hyundai nothing but a $100 charge on my credit card.
I had a message from the Hyundai dealer inside of 24 hours ... but they charge us $500 in Canada, so I'm entitled to expect more. LOL The dealer has been pretty good so far, answering my questions, making a change to my initial trim request, and letting me take a tour of the '22 Tucson to see how the size/interior suited me. I have no complaints with them ... just the parent company for holding out on the pricing info! I'm sure the dealers aren't too happy about it either, when they can't answer questions that come their way.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I believe you're right for people who flip cars every few years, but I pay cash for my vehicles and then drive them for 10-20 years, which negates depreciation and other financing losses. And frankly depreciation is something I've been concerned with in terms of buying a gas-powered truck. I suspect (and I could end up being wrong) that trying to sell a gas vehicle in 10 years will be akin to trying to sell a horse and buggy in 1950.

And I'm not totally ruling out either the Maverick or the SC at this point. But I've gone from "definitely buying one of them" to "willing to wait a year or two and see what's coming next."
In ten years’ time if selling an ice vehicle is a problem due to the proliferation of all electric vehicles you will not be able to recharge an all-electric vehicle reliably. Add millions of vehicles charging on an electrical grid based on the 1950’s and what do you think is going to happen. Ask the people living in Texas and California how their electrical grids are standing up to today’s demands. Get ready for power outages and rolling blackouts. Solar and wind energy are still a fairy tale.

If my memory services me right, I believe Apple announced that their facilities were completely “green” and using no fossil fuel. Here’s the little lie about that, Apple has not disconnected from the power grid and still pulls power off the grid at night, though they do produce more electricity than they use during the day. If you apply that logic to autos that would mean you only drive during daylight hours.

Our only real hope at this time for massive amounts of energy that do not cover massive amounts of the earth is nuclear.

·
Registered
489 Posts
However both the Santa Fe and Tuscon offer hybrids so clearly Hyundai could make a SC hybrid. But if and when are wild cards.

I firmly believe they will make a SC hybrid... but not until the this SAV has proven that it can sell enough units, or at least until its built some kind of reputation. Right now its just too new, thus I'd say your still 2+ years away. Of course the lack of a current hybrid may cause many to switch to a Maverick thus killing the SC completely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the mid trim is north of $30k I am out.

I think Hyundai can’t figure out how to price it competitively now after the Maverick reveal starting at $20k.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think Hyundai can’t figure out how to price it competitively now after the Maverick reveal starting at $20k.
But that $20K value is misleading. That's a VERY base, VERY stripped down, VERY option-free driving experience. Doesn't even offer cruise control as an option! So kick the dollar value up a bit to the XLT, which is where non-fleet buyers will seriously start looking at it. Still an attractive price, and the one where Hyundai will start to consider the Maverick in their pricing decisions. Even in base trim, the Santa Cruz will be a lot better equipped, so I'd be shocked if they aren't starting out 2-3k above a base XLT Maverick - in the US. It's going to be more in Canada, obviously, because our "base" model starts with the turbo and AWD standard.

Show me the numbers, Hyundai!

·
Registered
252 Posts
However both the Santa Fe and Tuscon offer hybrids so clearly Hyundai could make a SC hybrid. But if and when are wild cards.
Yeah, but check the window stickers, the Santa Fe and Tucsons are both made in Korea and imported. If the Santa Cruz was also being made in Korea, then I'd say absolutely we'd get one, but as it is they would have to retool the Alabama plant to be able to do hybrid powertrains as well, which right now its not setup for.

·
Registered
250 Posts
... they would have to retool the Alabama plant to be able to do hybrid powertrains as well, which right now its not setup for.
Isn't the Montgomery plant closed this week for 'maintenance?'
Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Isn't the Montgomery plant closed this week for 'maintenance?'
Hmmmmm...
This happens annually, though you are right it could be possible. I highly doubt Hyundai was able to retool the plant quick enough to make a hybrid just to respond to Ford. I could see them using downtime in December as well as next summer to scab on a Hybrid option for 2023 or for 2024, but that would be the earliest. Doesn't bother me since I only want the 2.5T, but the SE and SEL would be a lot better with a Hybrid. Not enough power to make them stand out against the Ford Mav Hybrid.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts