Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, but check the window stickers, the Santa Fe and Tucsons are both made in Korea and imported. If the Santa Cruz was also being made in Korea, then I'd say absolutely we'd get one, but as it is they would have to retool the Alabama plant to be able to do hybrid powertrains as well, which right now its not setup for.
Or just import the powertrain. If the demand is there they will find a way to make it happen. The harder thing to do is the engineering required on the platform... however since such models ARE available overseas that means that work has been done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've seen 12 year old Dodge Rams like mine going for $14K
Very true. There's a strong market for used cars right now, especially trucks. It's one of the reasons I just unloaded my Nissan Frontier. But I suspect we're at a pivot point, and in the next few years the 20th century technology of combustion engines will just not look appealing compared to 21st century EV technology. I'm not saying EVs are ready to take over right now, and I'm not saying ICEs will ever completely go extinct. But the vehicle tech, batteries, and charging infrastructure for EVs seem to be moving quickly thanks mostly to the growing market demand.

As for the power grid...I'm not an expert on any of this, but I believe the grid in 1950 could not have handled the current demand--not even close if I were betting. With only a couple exceptions, the grid has grown to meet demand throughout its history, and it will likely continue to do so. I also agree with @Jim 99 that a not-insignificant part of that expansion will need to be through modern nuclear reactors. Off topic, but I toured a nuclear power station a few years ago...it was an old, legacy reactor that had been in operation for many decades (and is still operating today). We walked a catwalk out over a large pool of water...looking down into the water were some containers that collectively were about the size of a minibus (if I remember right). That was ALL the spent fuel that nuclear power plant had created in its decades of operations. It had powered thousands and thousands of homes, factories, schools, etc. and the only waste was a surprisingly small stack of containers in the pool below me. Storing nuclear waste has to be done with great care, but it can be done safely. Nuclear energy is an important part of any credible green energy plan, and I think more environmentalists are coming around to that reality.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Storing nuclear waste has to be done with great care, but it can be done safely. Nuclear energy is an important part of any credible green energy plan, and I think more environmentalists are coming around to that reality.
Doesn't really have to be done at all. France has a nuclear recycling program for so many decades now problem free. I wish nuclear would take off, but unfortunately the boom is in intermittent power sources like solar and wind and they are causing most of the problems we have with the grid.

Because the grid is privatized and solar and wind are heavily subsidized, its hugely lucrative to build them, just look at Texas who only really cares about green when its in the form of US currency. We have more wind power than any other state and probably close to top on solar if not top. Problem is that if I'm building say a nuclear power plant, I have to compete with heavily subsidized solar and wind prices that during good times can in Texas be as low as 6c/kwh to consumers.

Problem is that while most of the time solar and wind are fine and so subsidized that they are super cheap, sometimes they work very poorly such as solar's time of day and seasonal output reductions not to mention severe weather reductions in output, and wind sometimes produces next to nothing if its very still.

But because solar and wind have displaced up to 30% of the power grid, if you have a really hot overcast day with very little wind, you have the power companies asking people to turn off their air conditioners to avoid rolling brownouts. This is something that doesn't happen with reliable power sources like coal, gas, and nuclear where they can not only produce the same power levels 24x7, but can generally also easily increase to some extent on demand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My wife HATES black interiors, so if we get the Santa Cruz, it will be a me-only vehicle, or more likely, we may just get custom leather done. We did that with her Optima, and were able to wrap the cost into the vehicle loan since we had it done through the dealer. It was only about $1200 and continues to bring us joy every time we drive that car. It doesn't change the dash and all, but I think it turned out well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
SWEET!!!!!!!!! Kudos!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
$39,974 to $90,474! 😱 Even with the $7,500 "potential" federal tax credit, that's a lot of wallet drain. Only $100 due today.*

*Fully refundable. You will be able to place your order beginning fall 2021. First shipment beginning spring 2022. (Sound familiar?)
The Lightening was sold out in 1 week....this years quota. The 40k one was a steal......(in todays fiat dollars)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Doesn't really have to be done at all. France has a nuclear recycling program for so many decades now problem free. I wish nuclear would take off, but unfortunately the boom is in intermittent power sources like solar and wind and they are causing most of the problems we have with the grid.

Because the grid is privatized and solar and wind are heavily subsidized, its hugely lucrative to build them, just look at Texas who only really cares about green when its in the form of US currency. We have more wind power than any other state and probably close to top on solar if not top. Problem is that if I'm building say a nuclear power plant, I have to compete with heavily subsidized solar and wind prices that during good times can in Texas be as low as 6c/kwh to consumers.

Problem is that while most of the time solar and wind are fine and so subsidized that they are super cheap, sometimes they work very poorly such as solar's time of day and seasonal output reductions not to mention severe weather reductions in output, and wind sometimes produces next to nothing if its very still.

But because solar and wind have displaced up to 30% of the power grid, if you have a really hot overcast day with very little wind, you have the power companies asking people to turn off their air conditioners to avoid rolling brownouts. This is something that doesn't happen with reliable power sources like coal, gas, and nuclear where they can not only produce the same power levels 24x7, but can generally also easily increase to some extent on demand.
You still have that old MONSTER Nuke Plant to deal with when it is decommissioned. I have never liked nuke..but have to live with it. On the other hand. Fossilized fuels are still super plentiful and can be REFORMED to different molecular structures. Which can reduce the carbon the Climatists are whining about. FYI You are carbon unit. ALL living things are carbon units.... so are we to wipe out all LIFE?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not second guessing, just comparing what Manufacturer gives me the most for my DOLLAR! IF the FREAKING despised car Dealers stay out of it with their GREED!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cancelled my deposit via email. They won’t accept phone calls referencing the San\ta Cuz. I liked everything about the Cruz except the price. At over $41K for the SEL Premium with a few options the new Tundra should be only $8-10K more. Plus I’ll make out on the resale much better than a Hyundai.

If they come out with an AWD N version I might still end up with a Cruz someday.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I cancelled my deposit via email. They won’t accept phone calls referencing the San\ta Cuz. I liked everything about the Cruz except the price. At over $41K for the SEL Premium with a few options the new Tundra should be only $8-10K more. Plus I’ll make out on the resale much better than a Hyundai.

If they come out with an AWD N version I might still end up with a Cruz someday.
An SEL Premium AWD is $35,680 + 1,185 destination for a total of $36,865, there aren't $5,000 of accessories available to add to it. How do you come up with $41k??

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don’t know how accurate the info I saw was, but read somewhere that Sage was $600 extra. Rumored green seat option? I assume the usual dealer installed extras like bed carpet, mud flaps, mats, cargo net and yet to be announced will add up. And the killer - a dark grill option which may not be available at all with the premium. We won’t know exactly until the build your Cruz shows up. But my experience is there is always stuff I want that costs extra. Maybe closer to $40 but still more than what drew me to consider the Cruzover the Tundra which my 2021 build came to $48K.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don’t know how accurate the info I saw was, but read somewhere that Sage was $600 extra. Rumored green seat option? I assume the usual dealer installed extras like bed carpet, mud flaps, mats, cargo net and yet to be announced will add up. And the killer - a dark grill option which may not be available at all with the premium. We won’t know exactly until the build your Cruz shows up. But my experience is there is always stuff I want that costs extra. Maybe closer to $40 but still more than what drew me to consider the Cruzover the Tundra which my 2021 build came to $48K.
Good luck finding a Tundra at MSRP this year, but maybe you'll luck out.

Mudflaps and stuff all add up to like < 500. Sage Gray is 400. You are looking at < 38k total. Not that this is cheap, but its definitely not 41k. Gray cloth seats are supposed to be offered on all but Mojave Sand IIRC.

Best of luck to you, so that you get what you want. I just wanted to provide the info (dealers have the add-on prices now for you to know for sure) before you buy something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, that’s a little better. If they gouge on the Tundra I still may get the Cruz. I need to save up some more anyway If I expect to pay cash.

And as always it comes down to the test drive. Uncomfortable seats have killed deals in the past.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good luck finding a Tundra at MSRP this year, but maybe you'll luck out.

Mudflaps and stuff all add up to like < 500. Sage Gray is 400. You are looking at < 38k total. Not that this is cheap, but its definitely not 41k. Gray cloth seats are supposed to be offered on all but Mojave Sand IIRC.

Best of luck to you, so that you get what you want. I just wanted to provide the info (dealers have the add-on prices now for you to know for sure) before you buy something.
With tax, depending on state, he's pretty close to 40-41k. Where I am in NY it's not far from 9%. Though any other vehicle will be similarly affected.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks, that’s a little better. If they gouge on the Tundra I still may get the Cruz. I need to save up some more anyway If I expect to pay cash.

And as always it comes down to the test drive. Uncomfortable seats have killed deals in the past.
Exactly, buying a vehicle, with all the variances of human anatomy, without sitting in it is crazy.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
Yeah, that's a fair point. Also why I went and had a seat in the '22 Tucson. Nearly identical interior, including the seats. They fit me to a T. Even the headrest had the right curve for my neck. If they only real change inside is the back seat, I'm ready to saddle up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm second guessing. I need something that can tow 10-12 times per year. About 4000lbs fully loaded and 450lb tongue weight

So unless the hitch and wiring are factory or dealer installed. And the tongue weight max officially listed, it will be a non-starter for me. I do have my pre-order choice and deposit with Hyundai Canada.

But will cancel and pivot back to the Ridgeline if forced to. I may even consider the 2022 Ranger or Frontier. The GM twins and Tacoma are both a no for me.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
The hitch is a dealer installed option - the wiring will be there from the factory. I dropped my $500 too ... my dealer still hasn't heard anything. My guess is they're going to put vehicles on the US lots for a month or more before they start shipping anything to Canada - given they STILL haven't released Canadian pricing. My 'guesstimate' math puts an Ultimate trim starting within $1k of a base Ridgeline here. All things equal, I think the 2.5T will tow easier than Honda's V6. It has a much wider torque band than a NA V6, coming on fully at 1700rpm. At max towing though, I'm thinking the SC will get pushed around a bit more on the road, with its smaller size.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was set on buying the SC out of the gate, because I love the entire design and it checks all the boxes. However, with the F-150 Lightning and Gladiator 4xe likely on the horizon, I am hard pressed to drop heavy coin on a limited SC with such ****ty fuel economy. Anyone feel the same and planning to wait and see if Hyundai will add a HEV/PHEV powertrain in the near future?
Not for me... was getting 8-12 MPG with my last two 1500 RAMs. Yes, not a fair comparison with SC vs. 1500, but towing with that kind of milllage was getting old. I'm not interested in an e version either. For those wanting better MPG than a full size truck, 22 seems pretty sweet. I need the occasional tow of 3800lbs trailer, so SC will meet my needs. I see that H will come out with an all e version next year, but we shall see what actually gets built. I considered a Ranger or Colorado, but those are not much better in terms of MPG. The other factor is garage fitment. Ranger/Colorado were both really "tight", but would fit. The Maverick is also a very worthy of comparison or even the Ridgeline. Both are much more truck like, I've been there done that (also owned a ranger years ago). For me, the size, features and ride quality were big factors. Price... yes, the SC tops out around $40k, so I would agree it is on the pricey side... I was thinking it would be less. But the features won me over... let us know which way you go... I'd be interested in how you make out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Not for me... was getting 8-12 MPG with my last two 1500 RAMs. Yes, not a fair comparison with SC vs. 1500, but towing with that kind of milllage was getting old. I'm not interested in an e version either. For those wanting better MPG than a full size truck, 22 seems pretty sweet. I need the occasional tow of 3800lbs trailer, so SC will meet my needs. I see that H will come out with an all e version next year, but we shall see what actually gets built. I considered a Ranger or Colorado, but those are not much better in terms of MPG. The other factor is garage fitment. Ranger/Colorado were both really "tight", but would fit. The Maverick is also a very worthy of comparison or even the Ridgeline. Both are much more truck like, I've been there done that (also owned a ranger years ago). For me, the size, features and ride quality were big factors. Price... yes, the SC tops out around $40k, so I would agree it is on the pricey side... I was thinking it would be less. But the features won me over... let us know which way you go... I'd be interested in how you make out.
I can understand your POV. Where did you read they are coming out with all electric version next year?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts