Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
🍎 🍊 🍎

Out of curiosity and since ppl have been talking how much cheaper Maverick is compared to SC… thought, I’d visit Ford.ca to have a look.
In Canada, top of the line Lariat with the luxury package and first edition package would be comparable to the mid range Preferred with the Trend package added on…

With delivery and destination fees added on, they are not far off… (Canadian Pricing)
Product Azure Font Material property Screenshot Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
185 Posts
Yeah, when the Maverick was announced, I was drawn in to the Hybrid option, then I looked up options and compared pricing, and realized that the price for equivalently optioned trucks is about the same.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
Yep. For about $2k more, I can't fathom why I would rather have the Maverick over the Santa Cruz, other than having two local Ford dealers to work on it when it needs service vs. a 150km drive (each way) to my Hyundai dealer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Style and function i think are the two biggest reasons for choosing one over the other when you do an actual comparison. A fleet vehicle is often toted as the best use of the cheap hybrid Maverick which there is no SC comparison. Otherwise if you want a more rugged, less plush interior, maverick. good case for this if it's a truck you use for work or work in a job where you get really dirty. I simpler interior might make sense and be easier to clean. It also looks like the Maverick out of the box is designed to be a lot more adaptable for mods; again thinking work truck functionality. And some love the box truck look. This maverick is a small pickup and should look like one.
Santa Cruz is an CUV with a bed imo. nicer interior and perhaps better look, if you don't like typical pickup box look. comparisons have been done at this point to the nth degree. I hate the styling of the maverick because i don't like the truck look. i also don't like Ford quality but that's also a personal opinion. I have had a few hyundais and those that didn't get totaled in accidents have 300K vehicles.
What drives me nuts and i have commented in other posts is people say oh the maverick is 20k and gets 40mpg and can tow 4000lbs etc. It's very misleading because the cheap hybird can't and the version that can tow isn't cheap or getting the mpg. But that is all marketing and Ford is definitely winning imo. I just hope that the sector as a whole does well and we see these vehicles around for a while so we can see updates and improvements, especially for the SC.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've said before that when I calculated a comparable Mav to SC Limited AWD they were within $2-3k of each other depending on which options you consider must haves. The SC has more and better tech along with more standard features, so you have to check a lot of boxes on Mav to bring it up to the same level. Even then the Mav has less power and towing capacity. Also no hard bed liner available on the Mav when configured this way, instead you get a spray in bed liner.

SC Limited AWD = $39,720 + $450 tow hitch + $1,185 destination =
$41,355

Mav Lariat EcoBoost = $26,575 + $745 tow package + $540 Co-Pilot360 + $3,340 luxury package + $795 black painted wheels + $1,160 hard tonneau cover + $795 moon roof + $3,305 AWD + $1,495 destination + $645 acquisition fee =
$38,310

$3,045 difference

While SC's are hard to find right now I wonder how difficult it will be to get a Mav configured exactly this way. Apparently Ford is going with an custom order system thus you will not be able to walk onto a lot and just buy one. For some people this could be a deal breaker. On the flip side you get better exterior color choices and don't have to get the moon roof on the Mav if you don't want it.

As others have stated in the end it comes down to mostly a style decision. You either like the old school boxy truck-like Mav or (if your like me) you hate that look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm keeping my options open. I have been sold on a Santa Cruz since 2015. The styling is 1000x better than the Maverick, but when a Maverick is on the lot and I can test drive it, if I haven't gotten a Santa Cruz yet I'm going to have a hard time not getting a Maverick for 10K less (I don't need AWD or a moon roof or a couple of those other options, but Hyundai doesn't let you spec like that). And I'm cheap, so the fact that I still want to give HMA 42K for a Limited says a lot about how much I like it.

If my next vehicle is a Maverick it is solely because Hyundai corporate teamed up with my local dealer to bungle this launch badly enough to override six years of built up desire. Sure, they did it bit by bit, a little letdown at release, a little more at a vague reservation program, more at the pricing announcement, and repeated paper cuts every time I interact with them since. But the only reason I'd even be out at the orange stand looking is because Hyundai keeps dropping the apples out of the cart.

I get it. Supply sucks. But if you took my reservation and actually reserved me a car, I'd be tickled so pink Victoria's Secret would put my picture on sweatpants. Even if it said hey, you won't get it until December, but here's your VIN, here's what you're going to pay, there's no uncertainty here, I would be patiently waiting. Instead I get a steady stream of we don't know anything or that one is already sold or it's not here yet but the price is $xK over sticker, are you ready to sign? Frustration at every interaction is decimating all that goodwill I had built up.

So yeah, if the blue oval starts delivering oranges and I still haven't gotten the apple I desire at the price they advertised, I may be over at their stand checking it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts