Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specifically, are people following your SC around while you're out driving?

It happened to me recently. I don't mind people pointing, looking, commenting from open windows, giving thumbs up or whatever, but I dislike being actually followed. So I successfully took action and broke contact.

Anybody else been followed while Cruzing? :unsure:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe they are just heading in the same direction as you...:unsure:
Perhaps this time. Maybe. I didn't let it go on long enough to find out.

Twenty years ago I was involved in an attempted carjacking and it started out with the bad guys following me an extended distance and time.

Back then I was also driving a unique, popular and rare vehicle (2001 Mustang Bullitt) so it didn't surprise me when folks were interested. But the carjackers went much farther (literally) and became a real threat.

So, I made a drastic move and evaded them. Or so I thought. They turned around and chased after me. When I got stuck at a stoplight, the passenger started to get out with a gun in his hand. I was very lucky that the cars in front of me turned right and I was able to move forward. That happened twice and each time the bad guy passenger got back in their (stolen) car.

When I got to the light myself, I forced my way into the cross traffic and blasted down the 25MPH speed limit road at 90MPH. Fortunately, it was all clear for me and the bad guy's clapped out Toyota couldn't follow.

Later, after I reached home, I turned on the news and those two guys were prominently featured because they were on the run from murdering somebody in South Carolina after a carjacking there.

We Santa Cruz owners have a rare and unique vehicle too. So being aware and prepared is not a bad idea. Sort of like the Boy Scout motto. ;)

Let's all stay safe out there! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not saying you’re paranoid but…
We are more likely to be carjacked for a Honda Accord or Dodge Ram. Don’t think the Santa Cruz will be hot in the chop shop game.
Hahaha! You're funny! 🤣

It's not always about a chop shop. Sometimes it's about just driving around for awhile in a "cool" car. Or trucklet! :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Today we stopped for a Sunday paper and a fill-up on our way home from church. Two different people wanted to look at our Mojave Sand SEL Cruz with cargo package. They had seen advertisements on television and had questions. One was a construction project manager in a Mini Cooper. She lamented she could not haul anything in it. I showed her how the tailgate lowers to a second position to support a sheet or two of plywood. Both really liked the looks. My story is not as dramatic as your almost carjacking, and no one followed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that’s why we need, and I exercise, Second Amendment Rights. Try carjacking me. Your getting a 9mm slug in your forehead before I drive away.
Yup. In my case 20 years ago, I had a .45ACP in my hand near the end of the event.

As I said in my original post, I don't mind people showing genuine interest. I've had plenty of admirers with my SC, both while parked and rolling and it's all good stuff! Just a couple days ago I had 2 different folks approach me at 2 different places about the trucklet and I was happy to give them "the tour" of the SC. :cool:

But, like the bad guys 20 years ago, change lanes to be near the vehicle over a 5 mile distance; I make a sharp left hand turn across 3 lanes with no notice, then they miss the turn and blow on past, but a couple minutes later come flying up behind me on a 2 lane 30MPH road and I got ready. I'm just glad that I didn't have to do more than drive in order to get clear of that situation. 🙃

·
Registered
81 Posts
As a Sheriffs 911 Dispatcher I know there are real threats out there. Most car thefts these days are old models e.g. '94 Hondas that can be easily stolen for joyride then dumped. The SC has an immobilizer function that shuts off the engine if someone takes it who doesn't have a key. Using the Hyundai app you can track your SC if it is taken.
Call 911 if it is taken from you. Stay on the line and 911 will have your location from the phone. In the end, a car can be replaced.

Reactions: Jdnorton22

·
Registered
2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS
34 Posts
Perhaps this time. Maybe. I didn't let it go on long enough to find out.

Twenty years ago I was involved in an attempted carjacking and it started out with the bad guys following me an extended distance and time.

Back then I was also driving a unique, popular and rare vehicle (2001 Mustang Bullitt) so it didn't surprise me when folks were interested. But the carjackers went much farther (literally) and became a real threat.

So, I made a drastic move and evaded them. Or so I thought. They turned around and chased after me. When I got stuck at a stoplight, the passenger started to get out with a gun in his hand. I was very lucky that the cars in front of me turned right and I was able to move forward. That happened twice and each time the bad guy passenger got back in their (stolen) car.

When I got to the light myself, I forced my way into the cross traffic and blasted down the 25MPH speed limit road at 90MPH. Fortunately, it was all clear for me and the bad guy's clapped out Toyota couldn't follow.

Later, after I reached home, I turned on the news and those two guys were prominently featured because they were on the run from murdering somebody in South Carolina after a carjacking there.

We Santa Cruz owners have a rare and unique vehicle too. So being aware and prepared is not a bad idea. Sort of like the Boy Scout motto. ;)

Let's all stay safe out there! :)
Dang.

That instance sounds like they just wanted a faster car though, being on the run and all. Now-a-days they do the bump tap to get you to stop then rush the vehicle. I live around Chicago and it's on the news constantly.

Agreed though, watch yourself and stay safe y'all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts