Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
22 Ice White SEL Activity AWD
260 Posts
I would like to think this would be happening to ALOT of people if it was due to being cheaply made. I never saw a video of the manufacturing process so it's hard to make that assessment, not sure how cheap it is compared to other models. Mine seems fine, but I'm sure things like car keys, loose change, or a ring could wear it off or damage it somehow. I wonder if the "over 6 month" owners seen any issues?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Late 20XX and early 201X model infiniti vehicles had this "soft touch" coating applied. I dont' think your "appears" to be coming off due to fingernails and such but man the infiniti cars sure did. Womens nails and their rings tore the heck out of that stuff on the drivers door, some still when the car was young and you had a fight on your hand as warranty didn't cover it. Older cars with no scratch damage would still eventually wear through just with normal usage. There are interior repair guys that can redo it with the same feel but a more durable product in my experience, others can rework it with a satin finish paint without the "traction" type feel and that held up very well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The “paint” or whatever the **** they coated this plastic with is pealing and comes off very easily with a finger nail.

Can anyone with the limited verify that this portion or part of a the plastic trim is shiny/glossy?

View attachment 8551
I hate to say, but it doesn't look like you take care of your vehicle that well. A little TLC goes a long way in keeping a vehicle clean.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1st gen VW Touareg all the soft touch surface peeled and it was abundant... Steering wheel buttons, AC controls, stereo, door trim and switches, etc. On a car that cost as much as $70k some 18 years ago. Crazy this is still a problem.

I hate the piano black on the Limited, but I will take it over the peeling soft touch in my V10 Touareg.

Rectangle Gesture Automotive lighting Font Gadget

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD, Blue Stone
35 Posts
I would like to think I keep my car clean. It's always clean and garage kept along with all of my other cars. I read this post even before I bought the car so I was always careful of that particular area yet it still happened. I don't use sanitizer, lotions or even put my wedding band on. Anyway, I will keep monitoring this area to see if it gets any worse. No issues on the passenger side yet.

Good to hear that it is not happening to others besides me and 1is2many. Maybe we were just unlucky. Just adding my experience on the forum so that we can keep track of this if it does become a bigger/widespread issue.

·
Registered
22 Ice White SEL Activity AWD
260 Posts
I believe you, I always thought it was one solid piece of molded flat black plastic, not sure why they would put a plastic coating over it that can wear or tear over time. I went through the motions of touching that area and it's usually when you get out your left index finger hits that spot, so I can only think maybe you have long or sharp fingernails? Or your wife has long nails? I chew mine down to the nubs lol.
Your photo looks like something is catching or snagging on that area? Either way sorry it happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has just over 6000 miles on it. I don't have long nails, don't use sanitizer, and keep the car as clean as possible. It's peeling inside the handle, and in front of the window control buttons. Pretty much everywhere that gets touched on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Contacted Hyundai dealer. In the mean time, the passenger door has started peeling as well. Nobody's even sat in that seat more than ten times. Hyundai had me email them numerous pictures of the doors, vin, and odometer. They've ordered the parts to replace. Waiting for a call when they arrive. They'll warranty it to 60,000 mi or 5 years.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD, Blue Stone
35 Posts
Thanks for the update. I’ll bring up the issue once my car is due for the first oil change. Currently at 3,700 miles. The peeling is getting bigger.

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Grey Rim

Contacted Hyundai dealer. In the mean time, the passenger door has started peeling as well. Nobody's even sat in that seat more than ten times. Hyundai had me email them numerous pictures of the doors, vin, and odometer. They've ordered the parts to replace. Waiting for a call when they arrive. They'll warranty it to 60,000 mi or 5 years.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I had a VW Passat in which all the "soft touch" plastic coatings peeled off after about 5-7 years. Nissan reported had this problem too but I never encountered in with my 350Z over 7 years. Do you have rings or watches that are chipping the coating?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think this has been reported before, as having occurred on non-piano black style armrests. I think the dealer will have to warranty these. Curious….when was your SC made? I think I also read about an issue with chrome peeling on front grill, and that was on some SCs that were made during a certain time period. I wonder if this is a similar issue?

21 - 40 of 81 Posts