Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
243 Posts
5,800 miles mine started doing the same thing AND there is a crack in the steering wheel. WTF, garage kept, 9 months old, under 6k miles….better not give me a hard time about replacing both.

·
Registered
Ice White SEL 2.5 AWD non turbo w/activity package
66 Posts
Im at 13k and it just started not too long ago.
Makes me wonder if it’s got something to do with heat. Possibly the coating is reacting to extreme summer heat in a car. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD, Blue Stone
35 Posts
Took my car in for an oil change last week @ 5K miles. Showed the peeling to the SA and he set me up with another appointment today to have the armrest panel resurfaced/painted. **** thing looks brand new. Hopefully it will be more durable then the factory coating. If it happens again, SA said we can redo the resurfacing or just replace it. The process took about 5 hours and was covered under warranty.

before/after
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Grey

Vehicle Automotive design Car Line Personal luxury car

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting, did you watch them paint it? Does it have a slight paint smell? I would have not guessed that the labor to remove the old finish and then mess up a clean spray gun….would have been inexpensive….or maybe Hyundai uses an aerosol finish (from a can)? Seems like replacing the plastic part would have been less expensive on Hyundai. The finish looks flawless…and even textured correctly, and I almost want to be skeptical that they refinished this? 🧐 Sorry, not doubting your word….just asking.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,816 Posts
5,800 miles mine started doing the same thing AND there is a crack in the steering wheel. WTF, garage kept, 9 months old, under 6k miles….better not give me a hard time about replacing both.
Wow! I had no idea this many people were having the coating peeling issue. If one could peel all the coating off and just have the smooth black plastic underneath like the old school cars it would be better; or upgrade to the piano black ones. :unsure:

"...there is a crack in the steering wheel."

Now that's a shocker! You got a picture of that? I know the sun bakes in AZ, but a cracked steering wheel in under 6,000 miles? 😬

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD, Blue Stone
35 Posts
Interesting, did you watch them paint it? Does it have a slight paint smell? I would have not guessed that the labor to remove the old finish and then mess up a clean spray gun….would have been inexpensive. Seems like replacing the part would have been less expensive on Hyundai. The finish looks flawless…and even textured correctly, and I almost want to be skeptical that they refinished this? 🧐 Sorry, not doubting your word….just asking.
No I did not watch it. I had to work. But I was right next to the SA last week when he called the third party to book an appointment for me. Also, I doubt that the dealer would have been able to get a replacement over the weekend. I see from several posts above there’s a two month lead time for a replacement. The color/texture/finish looks so good I even stated that it must of been replaced when I picked up the car. Did not put my nose to it to smell it (yet) but did not smell anything on my drive home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My SEL is 9 months old and the peeling started about 2 weeks ago. My husband was the first to notice. I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow morning. He said bring it in and we'll order "the parts" if needed. Of course it's needed! This should not be happening on a 9 month old vehicle. I just happened to see some kind of covers for the arm rests that someone posted on here. Has anyone tried them? Of course I'm going to insist that they take care of the issue first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took it to my Hyundai Dealership this morning to take a look at it. They are ordering a new door panel. Not sure how long as he said it can be 3-5 days for 3-5 weeks. Regardless of when I told them I wanted it repaired properly,, not spray painted!!

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5T AWD 🛻 Hampton Grey
9 Posts
Noticed mine about Three months of me receiving the vehicle. It looks exactly like Scoopercoopers Photo.
I thought it might have been from cleaning the arm rest. I,m glad to see that this is an actual issue and nothing I did.
When I take it in for an oil change I will tell the dealer. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
159 Posts
On your steering wheel….not sure, since I can’t see it in person ….but the “crack” you mention appears to be a defect in the leather covering on the outside of the steering wheel, to my eyes. You should mention it to your dealer. Looks like possibly the tanned leather had either a cut or separation defect and when the leather processor applied the final dye and surface finish (color coating), the defect was temporarily covered up. Leather of course is natural and moves some (expands and contracts) over time and with temperature extremes and humidity levels. And now the leather has shifted a bit and the defect is beginning to show up from underneath, up to the surface.

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
243 Posts
Yes it’s in the leather wrap and yes it’s a tear/cur/ defect whatever you want to call it. You can feel it with your fingernail. Either way it’s got to be fixed because it will only get bigger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife’s ’17 Santa Fe limited ultimate developed a similar scar but on the opposite side of the wheel (10 o’clock) it’s right where her wedding ring sits so I presumed that it was a scratch/scrape in the leather from her ring dragging across it. But once I pointed it out to her it hasn’t grown or spread.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts