Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Peripheral Computer keyboard Input device Automotive design Office equipment

Well, looks like you can add me to the door peeling problems, noticed this morning, just over 2000k miles, looks like a thin coat of plastidip.

This seems to be a common problem and should not be happening, ill be going to the dealership to see what they say.

Edit: Just called into the dealership they said they were aware of the problem and ordered the part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The “paint” or whatever the **** they coated this plastic with is pealing and comes off very easily with a finger nail.

Can anyone with the limited verify that this portion or part of a the plastic trim is shiny/glossy?

View attachment 8551
It's not a problem, treat your car right like most of us on here and you wont see any issues.
Mine did the same thing I have had it for 5 months. Dealership said it’s a defect and they will fix it. Same side door too. This actually happened when it was in there care for over a month.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Update on my door panel: Replacement was done without any issues. It's actually an entire door panel that is replaced, not just the small top panel that has the peeling issue. Service advisor did say he has now seen others with this issue and only on the S.C. It's a rubberized coating. Hyundai is advising to replace once and after that he doesn't know what will be done if it repeats.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
It's a rubberized coating.
I had a 2000 VW Passat with a similar "soft touch" rubber coating. In 7 years it all peeled off, doors, dash, anywhere they put that stuff it came off like a bad sunburn. I painted the pieces myself as the vehicle was out of warranty. Not sure why manufactures continue to make these upscale materials that are doomed to failure... for example piano black. Actually I do know why: car reviewers love this stuff. My Dakota is made from cheapest hard plastic ever put in a vehicle but here I am 20 years later and it still looks brand NEW inside.

·
Administrator
344 Posts
I had a 2000 VW Passat with a similar "soft touch" rubber coating. In 7 years it all peeled off, doors, dash, anywhere they put that stuff it came off like a bad sunburn. I painted the pieces myself as the vehicle was out of warranty. Not sure why manufactures continue to make these upscale materials that are doomed to failure... for example piano black. Actually I do know why: car reviewers love this stuff. My Dakota is made from cheapest hard plastic ever put in a vehicle but here I am 20 years later and it still looks brand NEW inside.
I just remembered the black dash trim on a new '99 Regal I bought was covered in that rubbery coating. I don't recall any of it failing during the 7 years I owned it, but it wasn't really a "touch area". The black paint on the preset buttons on the radio and the power windows switches was a different story.

Vehicle Speedometer Car Gear shift Motor vehicle

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow!!! I absolutely forgot my 98 Passat and ‘04 Jetta with all the peeling rubber coating. 25 years and the OEMs still can’t figure it out. 🙄

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
265 Posts
So, an update. Took the SC in to the dealer with 3 issues 1-drivers door hand grip pealing, 2-crack in steering wheel leather, 3- auto dim headlights overly sensitive (on when in shade for 1 second, off takes 1-2 mins). The dealer solutions: 1- new door panel ordered-no expected date 2- had the detail shop clean the steering wheel, crack not covered under warranty (what?) 3- operating normally. They had the SC from 8am till 5pm. Service manager said yes it looks like a crack in the leather on the steering wheel, but I need to contact Hyundai Customer Care because the dealer has never seen this before. He also said there was grease on the wheel, which is why he sent it to be cleaned up. Bull sh1t. If there was grease on the wheel it’s from them. SC has 6800 miles on it, and it’s 11 months old today. I have pics, going to call Hyundai tomorrow but what a load of crap…..
Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive design Vehicle Car Steering wheel Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
had the detail shop clean the steering wheel, crack not covered under warranty (what?) 3- operating normally. They had the SC from 8am till 5pm. Service manager said yes it looks like a crack in the leather on the steering wheel, but I need to contact Hyundai Customer Care because the dealer has never seen this before.
Interior trim is considered a wear item and thus rarely covered under warranty. I don't agree with it but that is the state of the auto industry.

3- auto dim headlights overly sensitive (on when in shade for 1 second, off takes 1-2 mins).
My wife's Infiniti has the opposite problem - it has to be pretty dark for them to come on. So much so she doesn't use them and prefers manual mode. My C7 is a touch overly sensitive too... a cloud comes over, you drive under a tree or overpass and the lights come on, then stay on. I've just learned to ignore it - I'd rather have them come on too often that not enough. Since its a safety thing I believe they err on the side of caution and leave the lights on longer vs having them switch off too quickly.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts