Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Because, why not?

Here is a render of a pickup based on the Audi A4. The chances of this happening, close to zero, but its fun to look at anyway.

It would be luxurious, and you could definitely cart quite a bit of stuff with you in the bed. You wouldn't be able to cart your kids around with you though as there is only two seats in the cabin. In my opinion, it does look very nice.

What do you guys think of this imagined luxury pickup?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercedes is going to make a truck similar to this, so perhaps its not so far fetched. Seems like VW would come out with a truck before Audi though.

Speaking of which, I guess VW is thinking of selling the Amarok in North America.

From Wikipedia:
a recent[when?] exodus of other mid-sized pickup lines in North America has created an opening in the market. VW is in talks with Canadian and U.S. dealerships to introduce the pickup to the continent.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is a very odd looking pickup. Looks like they chopped off the rear end of a sedan and stuck on a tuck bed instead.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Someone should do this to an S5 ;)

Because an M Performance Coupe turned into a truck shouldn't be the only one...

·
Registered
728 Posts
That actually looks better than the Audi A4 model. Most likely because the back is not curved.
And it helps that the M3 truck actually happened but it was a one off. Audi has better lines that would work better with the cut off the M3 has.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did not know it was actually produced and sold. Had to look it up and the truck bed looks constricted weird slant inwards from the sides.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It was a one off, as I mentioned. Highly doubt they'd sell many of them if it actually was decided to go to market.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The idea of having a convertible truck does sound interesting. Don't think any other compact truck has it besides the M3. Possible idea for the Santa Cruz?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Convertible truck? Someone would want it. It looks kinda cool, but I am not sure who the archetype of customer would be that this would be targeted towards.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good point. It does seems to be more of a Targa top than convertible. I think it'll be an option geared towards a niche crowd.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the issue is that it combines two things that don't really go well together. Convertibles are for pleasure cruising. They are not meant to be practical. Pickup beds are exactly the opposite. Not for pleasure. They are practical. Doesn't really make sense to combine them.

·
Registered
728 Posts
And that's why it will always remain a one off and never what meets a production process with models you can buy through a local dealer.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And that's why it will always remain a one off and never what meets a production process with models you can buy through a local dealer.
I can't think of any truck convertibles that have gone to production. I remember the Murano convertible. That was terrible.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I can't either and don't think anything ever has also doubt there ever will.

The closest there might be is a truck with a panoramic roof but i don't know what the chances of that is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The most we'll probably ever get on trucks is a sun roof. Panoramic roofs take up too much space that can be used for roof racks and carrying things on said racks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Unless a panoramic roof can be done in such a way that it wont be an issue, and with the positive repsonse i've been seeing of pano roofs, that's bound to be something we'll see more of in the future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts