Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't quite figure out how to categorize this. The Limited doesn't seem to have an intermittent option, just automatic with a sensitivity knob. Mine doesn't seem to work worth a **** on auto. The wipers almost never come on no matter what I set it at. The wipers do come on once in a while on auto but not enough to be useful. Anyone else noticing this? Or have a clue how its supposed to work? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently tested mine in heavy rain; it worked reasonably well, though I wished it was a bit more aggressive. My understanding is that the rain sensor is behind the mirror (where the other sensors are as well). Maybe check if there is any visible blockage / dirty windshield etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would say that I've had a pretty decent experience with the automatic wipers on mine, though there are definitely instances where I'm thinking, "come on....any day." I agree, I don't think their algorithm is particularly aggressive with activating the wipers initially. Once they are going, I usually don't have any issues with accumulation of rain, and I think the sensitivity setting really applies after they are going. Probably doesn't help too much, but that's been my experience, and I think they are inline from my viewpoint with all the other cars that I've had that have had rain sensing wipers. Let us know if you discover anything along the way!

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited AWD
222 Posts
I was just thrilled to have a vehicle with rain-sensing wipers.
Put it on auto, went out in the SoCal downpour a few days ago.
Instantly it turned on as soon as I was out of the garage.
When the rain got heavier the faster the wipers did their job.
When I sped up, so did the wipers.
This is just amazing technology for me.:giggle:

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Mine work fine, I guess. I still kinda wish it was just standard intermittent though. Most of the time they're pretty spot on. Sometimes I'm sitting and wondering if they're on. Sometimes they freak out and start going almost full speed when there's barely a mist on the glass and I have to turn them off. I get the theory ... but give me plain ol' timed intermittent wipes and I'm good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine work fine, I guess. I still kinda wish it was just standard intermittent though. Most of the time they're pretty spot on. Sometimes I'm sitting and wondering if they're on. Sometimes they freak out and start going almost full speed when there's barely a mist on the glass and I have to turn them off. I get the theory ... but give me plain ol' timed intermittent wipes and I'm good.
I have no idea if my rain sensing wipers work. It will be a while before I find out here in the desert. 😉

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yep. First thing I did when I got it home was Rain-X. I haven't owned a vehicle without it since ... ummm, the first time I used it. At least a good 15 years now. I was an early skeptic, made my wife a convert too. She hates driving anything that isn't Rain-X'd now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Regular rain-x should never be used on plastic. There is a different rain-x spray made for use on just plastic. I use that one on all the plastic lens (headlights, tail lights, etc) too. Really important for us that live with snow, and with LED lighting, because there is so little heat generated that snow won't melt off.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I use the RainX window washer fluid - it works great. It re-applies more every time I use the washers.

And I'm glad my SEL has the good old-fashioned intermittent wipers. Seems like some of the "features" on the higher trims (like no wireless AA on the radio) aren't actually features.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I use the RainX window washer fluid - it works great. It re-applies more every time I use the washers.
Same here. The only issue I ever had with it was our old Dodge Journey did NOT like the -45 rated fluid. It always messed up the low fluid sensor, for whatever reason. It could be filled to the brim and it would ding low fluid. ONLY with that -45 formula. (And yes, some days even THAT would freeze on the windshield.)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My salesman called just to check in so I asked him. He suggested that there might be a setting under convenience for the wipers but there isn’t one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Same here. The only issue I ever had with it was our old Dodge Journey did NOT like the -45 rated fluid. It always messed up the low fluid sensor, for whatever reason. It could be filled to the brim and it would ding low fluid. ONLY with that -45 formula. (And yes, some days even THAT would freeze on the windshield.)
Dang, that -45 has got to be like toothpaste coming out 🤣 🤣 🤣

While we're speaking of washer/wipers, I wish the washer would spray a little higher on the windshield - it works great when stopped, but going any faster that 30 or so and it only hits the bottom 1/3 of the window. Haven't checked if I can adjust that - some cans you can.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Agreed. The spray pattern isn't great. Large sections of the glass don't get much or ANY washer fluid. Even stopped, I find it isn't all that good. Almost needs a third nozzle, because the pattern is so narrow from each one. If you find a way to adjust, do let us know! I haven't seen an adjustable nozzle on a car in a long time ... since they used to be basically a brass hose with a tip sticking out the vents in front of the glass.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got a chance to try the auto setting again yesterday as it rained all day. With it pouring pretty good it would run almost constantly on the highest sensitivity setting. On the lowest jt would let the screen get pretty well covered before activating. So I guess it is working, but I’d rather have manually set intermit wipers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
funny, my complaint about the automatic is that they're OVER sensitive! set as low as possible, and they still wipe way more than needed in a misting rain. I'd rather just have regular intermittent, thankyouverymuch.

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
676 Posts
In rain soaked Washington State, I find they work very well. Windshield is graphene coated, and sensitivity is at the lowest setting

Reactions: pyrat.biker

·
Registered
"Hopeful" 2022 Limited, 2004 TJ, 2017 VFR1200X, 2008 Volvo XC70
72 Posts
I couldn't quite figure out how to categorize this. The Limited doesn't seem to have an intermittent option, just automatic with a sensitivity knob. Mine doesn't seem to work worth a **** on auto. The wipers almost never come on no matter what I set it at. The wipers do come on once in a while on auto but not enough to be useful. Anyone else noticing this? Or have a clue how its supposed to work? Thanks!
Have you used rain-x by any chance. My auto sensor on volvo xc70 doesn't like the beaded water droplets. Luckily I also have variable intermittent. So when I get my Cruz limited I'll have to experiment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts