Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Black Limited
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changed the backup bulbs out to LEDs today. I was hoping they would be brighter than the stockers. Could never see the backup lights during the day as I backed into the garage. Boy, I sure can now! These are great so far. as are the new LED brakelights (no more error msgs).
You can change them with the help of a flashlight or lamp and it would help if you're a contortionist!. No need to drop the bumper or anything hard at all. All you really need is a flat blade screwdriver to help push off the wiring connector. Just be sure you hear the locking clip CLICK as you push it in, both taking it off and putting it on. Once you hear the click then the screwdriver will help pry it off the wiring connector and also help push it on. You have to remove the wiring connector or you can't turn the lamp enough (1/4 turn) to remove the lamp. Lamp just pulls straight out, Then push in the LED and insert into bumper (here's gotta hold your mouth just right 😋 ) then reconnect the wires until it clicks. Not bad and I'm glad to see the backup lights now doing their job, even during the day!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Thanks - this is definitely on my must-do list for seeing down boat ramps at dark 'o clock AM.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL (Ice White)
45 Posts
Changed the backup bulbs out to LEDs today. I was hoping they would be brighter than the stockers. Could never see the backup lights during the day as I backed into the garage. Boy, I sure can now! These are great so far. as are the new LED brakelights (no more error msgs).
You can change them with the help of a flashlight or lamp and it would help if you're a contortionist!. No need to drop the bumper or anything hard at all. All you really need is a flat blade screwdriver to help push off the wiring connector. Just be sure you hear the locking clip CLICK as you push it in, both taking it off and putting it on. Once you hear the click then the screwdriver will help pry it off the wiring connector and also help push it on. You have to remove the wiring connector or you can't turn the lamp enough (1/4 turn) to remove the lamp. Lamp just pulls straight out, Then push in the LED and insert into bumper (here's gotta hold your mouth just right ) then reconnect the wires until it clicks. Not bad and I'm glad to see the backup lights now doing their job, even during the day!

I’m debating using a relay and adding some auxiliary reverse lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Black Limited
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
UPDATE: This backup lights are fantatic in the dark! Tried them lastnight and all I could say is WOW! Super bright and now I see why they call them stobe. They flast quickly 3 times when they first come on, then stay on. I like that as it's sort of an attention grabbing warning for whoever mght be behind you. Well worth the small effort.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Do they make these with out the strobe? I just want it to be BRIGHT.

·
Registered
652 Posts
When you're backing down into the slough at zero dark-thirty, don't you want to wake up the 'gators, moccasins, and pythons to get them out of the way?

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Before you go through all that work, try turning your rear cab bed light on to see if it illuminates your reverse area enough to meet your needs. I haven't tied it yet, but it just might work well.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Before you go through all that work, try turning your rear cab bed light on to see if it illuminates your reverse area enough to meet your needs.
Good idea any extra light out back should help, plus the button is right on the dash.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL (Ice White)
45 Posts
Before you go through all that work, try turning your rear cab bed light on to see if it illuminates your reverse area enough to meet your needs. I haven't tied it yet, but it just might work well.
I haven’t checked to see if the lights stay on in reverse. I know while driving you can’t turn them on. Learned that when some putz had their high beams on me In heavy traffic. I wanted to flash a light back at him but no avail.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you have some powerful battery powered lights, just try it first. I don't really turn around when reversing, and rely on my camera mostly, and I found that at least on a Ram 1500 after I installed the MUCH brighter LED replacements for the incandescent in the reverse lamp, anything brighter didn't actually light up more on the LCD screen so you ran into diminishing returns at some point.

BTW, I can't vouch for these, but if I weren't so lazy and happy with the LEDs I already installed, I would be curious to try these style out:

They are more similar to the headlight design, which generally produce much higher output due to superior cooling and often a better beam pattern too.

·
Registered
Black Limited
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, I can't vouch for these, but if I weren't so lazy and happy with the LEDs I already installed, I would be curious to try these style out:
Fyi… Think they would be a tight squeese if they'd fit at all, as I mentioned. Mine were a bit longer but they were longer inside, not on the outside which is a snug fit…

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fyi… Think they would be a tight squeese if they'd fit at all, as I mentioned. Mine were a bit longer but they were longer inside, not on the outside which is a snug fit…
Which brake lights did you get that are not getting an error message?

·
Registered
Black Limited
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which brake lights did you get that are not getting an error message?
Posted all that info in another tread and so far have not gotten one single error since I installed this set (unlike the first ones I did). Use the search at the top to get a lot more out of these forums. Lots of stuff already done and posted that may anwser a lot of questions. Not trying to come across snotty. This is just one of those "Teach a man to fish..." moments. Reply back if you can't find it. Hope this helps now and in the future...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I installed the reverse lights OP linked tonight and wow! What a huge difference they make. Here's a shot from the surround camera:
Rectangle Gadget Communication Device Font Telephony

I should have taken a before shot but I didn't think to do it. I'm sure the cameras also compensate for the exposure, I can actually see the rear view camera adjust and dial back the exposure just a bit when going into reverse.

They do. I could have sworn when I looked before ordering that the non strobe ones were not as bright in the listed lumens, but I don't see that now. I got the strobe ones because I thought it might be a safety enhancement. The non strobe ones should be here:

They are a few dollars cheaper although right now the ones in the OP show a 15% off coupon so they come out even cheaper. So far I'm super pleased with the ones I got. I almost ordered another pair for my other car but I don't know if BMW's canbus is more finicky about LEDs replacing incandescents. I may take the chance because I like these a lot.

They are more similar to the headlight design, which generally produce much higher output due to superior cooling and often a better beam pattern too.
Those are designed to shine straight out the tip of the bulb. They probably do cool better with the big aluminum housing. But the reflector on the SC is set up to get the light coming from the sides of the bulbs. They go into the bottom of the enclosure and the reflector kind of wraps around the sides of the bulb. With the circuit board style lights in the OP the LEDs on the biggest sides shine parallel to the bumper, which seems like it maximizes the light hitting the reflector and being sent out the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the LEDs that flash today and they’re nice and bright. Install was super easy.
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

This a pic from under the passenger side. The exhaust is kinda in the way but very easy to access regardless. If you take the plug off it makes it easier to get out. The passenger side is about an 1/8th turn towards you and the drivers side is an 1/8th away from you to get them out. Took me about 5 min to do both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts