Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
832 Posts
Um, that is what the access cover is for?

·
Registered
2022 SC Preferred
16 Posts
"Cleaning the Canister" is on page 9-60 of the owner's manual (Cdn version). 2 screws. Remove lid. Clean out debris. Replace. Torque screws to 1.8 Nm. They recomment LockTite. Once a year. That hardly qualifies for "bad design".... And for the record, the roll-up tonneau cover is a great idea and a deal-breaker for many. Interesting for a first post.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Sage Gray (non turbo)
291 Posts
Once I watched several videos about the shortcomings of the OEM cover I knew my only real option was the AWD SEL (non- turbo) w/o the activity package. You don’t get stuck with a tonneau full of gremlins.

IMO (not worth much) a poor design, issues in winter and too many moving low end parts to stand up to the abuse over time. Nothing I’ve read lately changes my opinion.

Consider LOMAX!

Gusto!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I once watched several videos about the lack of power in the NA SC, and knew my only real option was the Limited. You don't get stuck with under 200hp in a 2+ ton vehicle that gets worse gas mileage.

Like anything else in life: if you take care, things will last. Don't let it fly open freely; use the strap to open it gently. Keep the rails clean and lubed with paraffin wax. Clean out the drains and canister periodically. If it does fail, exercise the warranty; that's what it is for.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Sage Gray (non turbo)
291 Posts
I once watched several videos about the lack of power in the NA SC, and knew my only real option was the Limited. You don't get stuck with under 200hp in a 2+ ton vehicle that gets worse gas mileage……..

This is why there are several different models with a set of add-ons.

Agree with your statement about taking care of things. Very few SC were available when I went looking. Glad I got what I wanted. But truth be told, I would have taken a SEL with activity package if it were the only choice at MSRP when I was trying to find one. I too would have learned what to do to extend the life of the factory tonneau.

As far a performance with less than 200 HP you need to know one thing. No matter what direction I travel from home it’s always downhill. So not an issue here in Maine to maintain highway speed! - 😂

Gusto!

·
Registered
832 Posts
That is exactly my point: there is no wrong choice; pick what suits your use case scenario & enjoy!

Although, I am a little confused: you never go home; which would be uphill?! 🤔 😉

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
139 Posts
His first post is this… feels like baiting to me. Let’s not all play that game. We love what we got, we modify it into what we love, or we get rid of it. Seems pretty simple to me. If you feel that the oem cover is a bad design, but you were stuck getting it because you wanted a limited… then take it off and replace it with something else. The cover doesn’t bother me like the rear bumper/hitch design that we CAN’T change. Lol

·
Registered
832 Posts
Feels like he didn't do any research, as all roll top tonneau covers (OEM and aftermarket) have the same access panel; and all require maintenance.
At the end of the day, he made his decision and has to live with it. 🤷‍♂️ 😉 ......unless there is some sort of car loan forgiveness program I don't know about. 🤣

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
400 Posts
I really wanted the OEM tonneau cover with my SEL but was disappointed that I had to buy it as part of a package. The only thing in the package that I wanted was the cover so got an after-market cover and am very happy with it. I still like the OEM though.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium, Blue Stone
24 Posts
I was very pleased/delighted that this SC came with the Tonneau cover, standard on the SEL Premium package. A selling point for me.

But as this is my first truck-like vehicle I have no experience with Tonneau covers. I even had to look up the term—total noob here.
So I never thought to ask questions about maintenance of the sliding cover.

SmoovC mentioned a paraffin wax... a spray-on?

I did see one video where the guy (in Canada maybe?) had the cover frozen shut by a recent ice storm. We get those too in MN and people's doors/trunks can temporarily get frozen shut but I'm not too worried. It will be parked in a heated garage all winter so should rarely be an issue.

·
Registered
832 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts