Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited White, Alfa Romeo 4C white/red, 996 Turbo violet metallic, 1M white, MSMiata red
135 Posts
Baja was cool for its day, but that's like a jet fighter parked behind a ww2 prop plane.
Forehead Nose Cheek Chin Hairstyle

More comparable than you realize. The base Baja has the WRX engine, and the Baja Turbo has the same EJ25 turbo engine that’s in the 2021 STI.

@JASmith - You knew I was going to respond to that! I took the bait without hesitation. 🤣👍

·
Registered
377 Posts
View attachment 1955

More comparable than you realize. The base Baja has the WRX engine, and the Baja Turbo has the same EJ25 turbo engine that’s in the 2021 STI.

@JASmith - You knew I was going to respond to that! I took the bait without hesitation. 🤣👍
Barely. The 05 06 turbo used the EJ255. The non turbo was sohc ej251 or 253. 160ish HP.

The current or even back several years (08 i believe) sti is a far more aggressive ecm, dohc with variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust. Treated crank, different head. Much stronger pulling engine and higher redline. Some years actually had less compression than others. The current EJ257 after 09 shares no big parts with an EJ255 from a Baja.

It does however start with EJ. Ive built and worked on subaru since 00. In Subaru world EJ casts a mighty big net. Everything from early Dohc back to SoHC then back to DOHC. No variable cam timing to single cam timing to dual (AVCS they call it) . Map sensors to Maf sensors.... at least 10 different blocks and as many head designs. D25 b25. W heads. Dished or non dished pistons. Treated cranks after the non treated. Lol

I agree that the baja was great. Ive had many in my shop. And the turbo (5 speed is best but 4eat is ok) is an excellent car more comparable than people think. As far as maintenance the Turbo was pretty much a disaster on par with a VR4. The boxer is crammed down in the hole and the dohc coil on plug design makes everything, even changing plugs, pretty much an engine out job. The sohc non turbo is a delight to work on. No coil on plug and enough room to do head gaskets with the engine in.

·
Registered
377 Posts

That one is lifted. I like it. And most likely a turbo BUT some NA did have the scoop. And some turbo didn't. that one has the up trim headlights though. Likely a turbo.

The Subaru really should get more credit than it did. Went from the brat/justy/GL etc cars that were embarrassing to drive to the rally glory years of the 22b/sti/wrx/xt. The low flat boxer engine. The perfect weight balance, both left right/ and front back.excellent bias with the viscous diff and not terrible with the low end. No torque steer from front bias. Ridiculously low drive train weight. There is no other affordable ride that is as fun to sand rally IMO. Even the EVO was a step down IMO. IF WRC Hadn't lowered the CC limit and Subaru and Mitsubishi had continued that focus and competition I think the cars today would be amazing..... instead we get the crosstrek. Tribeca (WTH) . Bad cvts and oil burners with blown head gaskets.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited White, Alfa Romeo 4C white/red, 996 Turbo violet metallic, 1M white, MSMiata red
135 Posts
@Akfan You know your Subaru. This is my Baja turbo (2004). It is not lifted. OEM suspension but 15” Method 502 Rally wheels with 1” rear wheel spacers and AT tires. It is a turbo and also a 5-speed (hard to find…searched for almost a year). The engine is the same as the STi but smaller turbocharger. Grille and headlights are imported JDM. Bull bar was a brief run by Gorilla.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts