Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t found any kits so I ran to advanced auto and found a filter that’ll fit this intake. 3.5” is a little to big but not that bad. 3.25” would probably fit better so I’m going to order one of those for it. Larger filter area too.

I was looking up the sonata N line kits and they sure look like they might work.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Auto part

·
Registered
109 Posts
Haven’t found any kits so I ran to advanced auto and found a filter that’ll fit this intake. 3.5” is a little to big but not that bad. 3.25” would probably fit better so I’m going to order one of those for it. Larger filter area too.

I was looking up the sonata N line kits and they sure look like they might work.
I noticed you still have the protective plastic wrap on your black box. The service prep guys forgot to remove it on mine and they removed the plastic prior to me leaving the dealer. Not sure why it is wrapped in the first place.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's a sick hot air intake
LOL... hot being the key word there... unless you isolate the air intake from pulling in air surrounding the engine, there will be very little gain. The trick with any of these intakes is to pair with a cat/back kit, plus isolate the intake to be outside the engine compartment. Otherwise, very little gain and in fact... due to the hot air draw from the engine, you might even lose a few ponies. Sorry to be a doggy downer, but the data is everywhere on the topic. Here is just one:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any audio clips? I put one in my taco and it sounded really badass at low/medium throttle but when you floored it, it resonated and vibrated too much and too loud.

I ended up swapping it for a box style KN filter(basically just replacing the factory filter and not changing the box into a cone) + straight pipe without resonator and it's a lot better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stock airboxes and filters are much better than they were decades ago. New air boxes typically flow enough air stock and with small increases in power. But not always. Sometimes removing a resonator tube pre-filter or opening the cold air feed into the airbox can increase flow.

I'd like to see if the stock airbox is restrictive stock as well with the JB4 93 octane tune. It's not hard to test. You drill a hole in the air tube between the turbo and air box. Then a vacuum gauge to that. As the vacuum increases, the restriction increases.

That open-element filter could be fine with an addition of a simple shroud made of plastic sheet and some glue/tape. Maybe get really trick and add some DEI reflective sheets on the engine side of the shroud. Helping reflect the engine heat. That cheap DYI setup could allow fresh air, block heat, and allow the cool turbo spooling sounds. :)

Another thing to keep in mind with making an airbox or air filter is the Mass Air Flow sensor. Typically you will want a nice straight shot of air into the MAF. Turbulent air or a mix of fast & slow-moving air on the wall after a curve can cause issues for a MAF. As well as a tuner making custom tunes.

I really need to dive into the technical aspects of the SC. I don't know much about the engines, hardware, or software they use. But I also told myself to leave this vehicle alone. But deep down I know I was lying to myself. lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is a common practice for aftermarket air filtration companies to use a filtering media that allows a larger micron size of contaminates to pass through the media than the OEM media. Which in turn allows less restriction, hence more airflow, but decreased filtration.

·
Administrator
77 Posts
In addition to the negatives of sucking hot air from the engine compartment - particularly on a turbocharged engine, it can also be counterproductive to modify the factory plumbing in such a way that eliminates any resonators which exist to smooth air pulses to reduce noise and improve air flow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya I can’t say there’s much of a difference when the lower portion of the stock box is open to the cab. The ram air port is still installed so it’s getting plenty of fresh air. And for now, what other options does anyone have? 🤣😂. But hey, we’ll see what the draggy says and go from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 2422
have you gotten any codes yet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have you gotten any codes yet
from the air intake, no. The jb4 set off a bunch but that’s another topic, new board coming from burger. I will say I didn’t notice any difference in air intake temperatures with my “hot air intake” so I wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
from the air intake, no. The jb4 set off a bunch but that’s another topic, new board coming from burger. I will say I didn’t notice any difference in air intake temperatures with my “hot air intake” so I wouldn’t worry about it.
cool thanks I'll put one on soon

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 2422
what model do you have your engine bay is different then my 2022 Santa Cruz
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

1 - 20 of 27 Posts