Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL w/activity pkg
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching around for a solution to my bike hauling needs. I do not like bikes on a hitch rack. I do not like bikes on the roof. With the tonneau cover, don't have room for bikes hanging over the tailgate...

I found the Swagman pickup fork mount bike rack and took a gamble that it would fit as the width of the bed in the Santa Cruz was possibly to narrow.

It arrived today and I had it installed in 15min. Originally I was hoping for it to mount into one of the cut outs in the bed itself. But those were just a little too narrow. I was able to mount it between the utility track rails.

It's not a permanent install and isn't the most theft proof, but it was an easy compromise for two bike transportation without any modifications to the truck.
The rack comes with two quick release mounts but I was able to find a thru axle mount that fits the same bolt pattern.

Pictures in the reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same one booked marked in my Amazon list, curious why the ones that came with the rack don't work?
If your talking about the two QR mounts included with the rack... My new bike that I am building has 12mm thru axles instead of Quick Release skewers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having the same feelings about roof and trailer bicycle carrying, as well as not wanting to take up bed space, this was my solution: Bike Carrying Minimalism

That looks great! If i end up needing to carry a bike with a full payload in the bed, your method will be my inspiration. As of now, I don't foresee too many times when that will be necessary for me. More likely I will be carrying a bike and a canoe or set of paddle boards on the roof rack, so I need to keep my bikes below the roof rack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I need to find something similar, we have 2 ebikes that weigh about 40 lbs without the battery in them. Normally, I'll just use a trailer hitch bike rack, but we do tow a trailer with a SXS as well. I had the perfect setup with my Tacoma and the c-channels. Now I just need to rearchitect this for the Cruz. Not feeling muscular enough to lift these up on top of the cover with crossbars.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,138 Posts
I need to find something similar, we have 2 ebikes that weigh about 40 lbs without the battery in them. Normally, I'll just use a trailer hitch bike rack, but we do tow a trailer with a SXS as well. I had the perfect setup with my Tacoma and the c-channels. Now I just need to rearchitect this for the Cruz. Not feeling muscular enough to lift these up on top of the cover with crossbars.
yep an e bike lift up to chest height would be a strain i'm sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't tested mine yet on the road, but I would guess the way I have it connected would not work with the weight of two heavy ebikes... Not enough surface area contact on the ends of the rack bar to the utility track. My idea for you would be this: cut the swagman bar end a bit shorter so it rests in one of the cutouts of the bed itself or buy some extruded T-Slot aluminum and figure out how to secure it to the utility track with at least two sturdy bolts on both ends... maybe a 90 deg bracket would work. Attach the fork mounts to the T-slot with appropriate t-nuts. The latter idea was my top choice until I found the Swagman rack.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,138 Posts
Do the factory rails work here, or are those aftermarket? If aftermarket, where can I get them?
I went with Yakima, from 'Racks for Cars Inc', definitely not the cheapest route.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts