Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the bed extender or bed fence, whatever you want to call it, the plastic cage to contain things in the bed. It has a strap on each side, which I presume is to keep it from hopping up from the tailgate when it is in use. I can't for the life of me, figure out where they are supposed to fasten on the tailgate. I tried fastening them to the latch on each side with no luck. I also tried to fit the ends into the little hole near the inside edge of the tailgate. Again, no go. If someone has figured this out, it would be a great help if you could let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have the bed extender or bed fence, whatever you want to call it, the plastic cage to contain things in the bed. It has a strap on each side, which I presume is to keep it from hopping up from the tailgate when it is in use. I can't for the life of me, figure out where they are supposed to fasten on the tailgate. I tried fastening them to the latch on each side with no luck. I also tried to fit the ends into the little hole near the inside edge of the tailgate. Again, no go. If someone has figured this out, it would be a great help if you could let me know. Thanks.
They go into the actual side latches on the tailgate. Same latches used when you close it. Almost like inserting a seat belt end. You then unlock the tailgate to release them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They go into the actual side latches on the tailgate. Same latches used when you close it. Almost like inserting a seat belt end. You then unlock the tailgate to release them.
Thanks. You are correct. I thought that was the only way it would work but I obviously wasn't pushing hard enough. I appreciate the quick response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Am purchasing a Santa Cruz and am adding a bed fence. Does the vehicle come with the attachments in the bed to put the fence in or do they need to install those at the dealership.
I am buying the salesman's bed fence so does he need to remove those from his truck or is it standard in every vehicle

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
All SC have the attachment points in the bed. There is tape covering the holes to protect them from collecting debris.

So get the fence, brackets mounted on the bed, and the hardware (6-screws). You can literally remove it from one vehicle and install it on the other in 15-20 minutes.

Click here for installation instructions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've never liked these things as this was an afterthought of sort because owners wanted a longer bed. I'm use to dealing with what we have and not try to over extend our boundaries. I mean if you wanted a longer bed, then the SC is not the vehicle for you.

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
Bed extenders have been around for years on different vehicles. Including full-size trucks with 5.5', 6.5', and 8' beds. Loads requiring a tailgate down are not uncommon either. I have seen tailgates removed completely over the years as well.

I have a vehicle with a secured bed that is perfect for me 95% of the time. Versus having a truck with an 8' bed that I need 5% of the time. Seems buying something based on a 5% requirement seems silly. Having a vehicle that is fine 95% of the time and a $400 accessory makes up that other 5%? Yes, please. It seems the bed fence/extender is a great tool to increase the utility for the few times a year I will need it. Not only does it extend the bed, when folded in the bed, it also helps to split the bed and control loads.

I have had my Santa Cruz for about 2 months. I have had two loads with the tailgate down and no tailgate. Then I have had three times where I had loads with the tailgate down and the bed extender in place. Zero issues any of those times. Then every day it keeps items I need near the tailgate where they are easily accessible.

But everyone has different feelings

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
For those without the Activity Package bed cover, does the bed extender lock in place when folded forward in any way so no one can steal it? IIRC the straps are locked into the tailgate latches when in use, but even that doesn't seem to be theft proof. It looks like the straps can simply be removed and extender taken (?).

Can you buy just the side bed mounts from Hyundai for the extender to be used/shared in different Santa Cruz's?

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
For those without the Activity Package bed cover, does the bed extender lock in place when folded forward in any way so no one can steal it? IIRC the straps are locked into the tailgate latches when in use, but even that doesn't seem to be theft proof. It looks like the straps can simply be removed and extender taken (?).
To remove it from the mounts, you have to have it facing rearward and up at like a 60-degree angle. So with the tailgate up and locked, you can't remove it. But unlocked, they can open the tailgate and remove it easily enough.

You could add a locking cable to it to make sure it isn't snagged easily. Like used to secure a bicycle to a post or bike rack.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
481 Posts
Since the extender has to be rotated to the 45-degree position to install or remove it, locking the tailgate should keep anyone from stealing it.

Don't know about your other question.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
244 Posts

Can you buy just the side bed mounts from Hyundai for the extender to be used/shared in different Santa Cruz's?
To remove it from the mounts, you have to have it facing rearward and up at like a 60-degree angle. So with the tailgate up and locked, you can't remove it. But unlocked, they can open the tailgate and remove it easily enough.

You could add a locking cable to it to make sure it isn't snagged easily. Like used to secure a bicycle to a post or bike rack.
As I understand it, to properly use the extender, the two straps are "clicked" into the latches on either side of the tailgate. Those latches are locked when the truck is locked. I'm guessing that when the tailgate is open, and the truck is locked, that the latches lock also. If I'm correct, that means the extender is locked to the tailgate by the straps & latches. I can check my theory this weekend (my extender is at home).

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
I think you can remove the straps from the buckle. Or a pocket knife could cut those straps easily enough.

If theft is a big concern to someone, the locking cable adds a little extra theft protection.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
244 Posts
I think you can remove the straps from the buckle. Or a pocket knife could cut those straps easily enough.

If theft is a big concern to someone, the locking cable adds a little extra theft protection.
I mean, yeah, anything can be stolen, if the thief is sufficiently motivated and has the proper tools & time to do so.

I think the straps are there more to stop the casual thief.

Besides, would our bed extenders fit other trucks besides the Santa Cruz?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bed extenders have been around for years on different vehicles. Including full-size trucks with 5.5', 6.5', and 8' beds. Loads requiring a tailgate down are not uncommon either. I have seen tailgates removed completely over the years as well.

I have a vehicle with a secured bed that is perfect for me 95% of the time. Versus having a truck with an 8' bed that I need 5% of the time. Seems buying something based on a 5% requirement seems silly. Having a vehicle that is fine 95% of the time and a $400 accessory makes up that other 5%? Yes, please. It seems the bed fence/extender is a great tool to increase the utility for the few times a year I will need it. Not only does it extend the bed, when folded in the bed, it also helps to split the bed and control loads.

I have had my Santa Cruz for about 2 months. I have had two loads with the tailgate down and no tailgate. Then I have had three times where I had loads with the tailgate down and the bed extender in place. Zero issues any of those times. Then every day it keeps items I need near the tailgate where they are easily accessible.

But everyone has different feelings
I found out when I got a Frontier with a bed extender that they are really useful. Later got one for my Tundra.

But, how do you use the brunk with a bed extender?

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
You have to remove the extender to access the brunk. It's easy enough to remove the extender with one hand at least.

I don't use the brunk much due to it being so shallow. If it was as deep as the one in the Ridgeline, it would be a different story. I mainly use the brunk for storing stuff I don't use often. Fire extinguisher, straps, emergency kit, Insulated grocery bags, bed net, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You have to remove the extender to access the brunk. It's easy enough to remove the extender with one hand at least.

I don't use the brunk much due to it being so shallow. If it was as deep as the one in the Ridgeline, it would be a different story. I mainly use the brunk for storing stuff I don't use often. Fire extinguisher, straps, emergency kit, Insulated grocery bags, bed net, etc.
Not to mention that the brunk cannot be used with the lid open making it even less useful for certain applications. Nice idea that was poorly executed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts