Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Bed Light Mod

13K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  PK 62 
#1 ·
#3 ·
You need to diode isolate the two circuits; the kit is pre-built with the correct components to do so.

#7 · (Edited)
If you have this mod installed and use the remote to open the tailgate, the bed lights will not illuminate; effectively giving you the manual control you are looking for.
Want the bed lights on: open with tailgate handle.
Don't want bed lights on: open tailgate with remote.

#9 ·
If I backtracked what is being done here correctly if you wire it without a diode the button in the car that used to trigger the lights will trigger the lights AND the bed release if you wire it without a diode. Might be useful and I cant really think of a time when I would want to trigger the lights from inside the truckar but not open the gate. I might go that route then literally you don't need anything special

#10 ·
I installed the mod today. Took 10 minutes and works just like the video. I had to cut back the top wire cluster sheath a little bit to get enough access to the wire to tap it. The kit's wire taps are big, not sure if they make them smaller but dang that would have been better.

The bottom wire cluster was pain to remove. There is a small tab on top of it that you have t press while pulling, but it was tight. Not sure if the video was a different trim, but I have a limited and the space in there was much tighter than what the video shows. Anyway it worked and works as expected. It basically turns the tailgate button into a light control. This will be much better when loading groceries or what not at night.

#26 ·
I installed the mod today. Took 10 minutes and works just like the video. I had to cut back the top wire cluster sheath a little bit to get enough access to the wire to tap it. The kit's wire taps are big, not sure if they make them smaller but dang that would have been better.

The bottom wire cluster was pain to remove. There is a small tab on top of it that you have t press while pulling, but it was tight. Not sure if the video was a different trim, but I have a limited and the space in there was much tighter than what the video shows. Anyway it worked and works as expected. It basically turns the tailgate button into a light control. This will be much better when loading groceries or what not at night.

#12 ·
I am assuming the guy who is selling for half price reverse engineered it. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Jmitchelltfo
#13 ·
Old joke: TV repair bill is $75 for a few minutes work. (Well, I said it was an old joke!).
Customer complains, "All you did was turn one screw a little bit!"
TV Repairer, "Oh, that was free. The 75 bucks is for knowing which screw to turn!"

#14 · (Edited)
Old joke: TV repair bill is $75 for a few minutes work. (Well, I said it was an old joke!).
Customer complains, "All you did was turn one screw a little bit!"
TV Repairer, "Oh, that was free. The 75 bucks is for knowing which screw to turn!"
You are so right. It really amazes me how many people think that someone's time, skill and knowledge has no value. I mean, c'mon: the guy took the time to figure it out, design a kit, build them, produce and post a video, make an eBay listing, process payments, and ship them. That, and it is only $20 people!

Value of a job:

A customer asked me how much it cost to do this job....
I answered him: $ 1500
He said: So expensive for this job?
I asked: How much do you think it would cost you?
He answers me: $ 800 maximum... That's a pretty simple job right? !"
  • For $ 800 I invite you to do it yourself.
  • But.... I don't know how to.
  • For $800 I'll teach you how to. So besides saving you $700, you'll get the knowledge for the next time you want
  • It seemed right to him and he agreed.
  • But to get started: you need tools: A welder, grinder, chop saw, drill press, welding hood, gloves etc...
  • But I don't have all these equipment and I can't buy all of these for one job.
  • Well then for another $300 more I'll rent my stuff to you so you can do it.
  • Okay, he says.
  • Okay! Tuesday I'm waiting for you to start doing this work
  • But I can't on Tuesday I only have time today.
  • I'm sorry, but I'm only available Tuesday to teach you and lend you my stuff. Other days are busy with other customers.
  • Okay! That means I'm going to have to sacrifice my Tuesday, give up my tasks.
  • I forgot. To do your job yourself, you also have to pay for the non-productive factors.
  • That is? What is this?"
  • Bureaucratic, tax, vat, security, insurance, fuel etc.
  • Oh no!... But to accomplish these tasks, I'm going to spend more money and waste a lot of time!
  • Do you have them? You can do it to me before?"
  • Okay!
  • I'll make you all the material you need. Truck loading is done Monday evening or Tuesday morning you'll have to come by 6 loading the truck. Don't forget to be on time to avoid traffic jams and be on time.
  • At 6??? Nope! Too early for me! I used to getting up later.
  • You know, I've been thinking. Y'all would be better at getting the job done. I'd rather pay you the $1500. If I had to, it wouldn't be perfect and it would cost me a lot more.
When you pay for a job, especially handcrafted, you pay not only for the material used, but also:
  • Knowledge
  • Experience
  • Study
  • Tools
  • Services
  • Time to go
  • Punctuality
  • Accountability
  • Professionalism
  • Accuracy
  • Guarantees
  • Patents
  • Sacrifices
  • Safety and security
  • Payment of tax obligations
No one can denigrate other people's work by judging prices.
Only by knowing all the elements necessary for the production of certain work can you estimate the actual cost.

#18 · (Edited)
jObviously someone is bored. There are two mounting points, solder in the diode. Plug it in, if it works it is the right way. If it doesn't reverse the connections. Solved. I will let you know how it works out.
Be sure to at least thank the gentleman who actually identified the wires for you. 🤣

Reactions: robtdonna
#19 ·
This post went sideways fast :D If you can figure it out the parts probably aren't that much. For me getting the kit made it simple to install. Not endorsing the kit, I have not connection to this at all, just came across it on Youtube. But if you like it, get the kit otherwise try to work it out yourself and educate the community here to what you did.

For the mod, it works great and has been fantastic for me.

#21 ·
As well you should. :)

#22 ·
I installed this today in about 20 minutes. It is pretty difficult to get the t-clips on the wires just because there is so little space between the wires. I had to cut back the cloth sheath a bit.

The only problem I have with this is that when the lights are on and you close the tailgate, the lights stay on.

You have to open the tailgate again, press the button on the gate one extra time so they turn off, then close the tailgate. Unless I’m missing something.

#23 ·
I installed this today in about 20 minutes. It is pretty difficult to get the t-clips on the wires just because there is so little space between the wires. I had to cut back the cloth sheath a bit.

The only problem I have with this is that when the lights are on and you close the tailgate, the lights stay on.

You have to open the tailgate again, press the button on the gate one extra time so they turn off, then close the tailgate. Unless I’m missing something.
I thought it was said push the button again before closing gate or press the button on the dash.

#25 ·
What I'd like is to be able to turn the light on while driving. I was going to add a little more lights and want to use as rear trail lights for backing up or just to see the trail behind me better in the camera. I don't have the extra lower lights. Mine is just an SEL AWD.

#30 ·
This mod is amazing! I installed it today in about 20 minutes. The written directions were harder to follow so I watched the video as I was installing. The hardest part was getting the taps in as the wires were so tightly taped together and installed. Worried about accidentally unplugging or breaking the wires. But once the taps were in…boom!!! Worked as advertised. I didn’t need the mod, and odds are most of the time it will be irrelevant, but the few times I do, it’ll be a no-brainer convenience. My only advice if you buy the kit, push the tape wrapping the wires back at least 3-4 inches. It’ll make the installing the taps easier and less risky.

#33 · (Edited)
Almost any common silicon rectifier diode will work. 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4003, 1N4004…5….6. All of these have higher reverse voltages (specification) than needed. If I had my pick…it would be a 4003 or 4004, but like I said…any in this series will work. They are about 20 cents each….so good luck finding just one….maybe at a local electronics parts store…Radio Shack used to have these…and Frys.. but they are out of business now. If you have a junk circuit board or power supply in your garage or closet…you can probably salvage a diode off of one of the circuit boards. These diodes are very very common to find on circuit boards. Other diode types and manufacturers are also likely to work…as the specs necessary for a diode to work in this application are common with just about every rectifier diode made. All the diode does is just form a one way electrical valve….which permits current flow one way, but not the other.

#37 · (Edited)
Hi guys, just installed using the video but got no change at all with the lights. Checked my wires, rechecked, and can't find anything that looks different from the video. I am new to using wire taps. Do they truly just clip on and done? Just a good hard push, make sure it's closed and then wire is exposed in there?
Also, any "top" or "bottom" to the red and blue connectors? Nothing leads me to believe there is, looks like as long as I have the placement correct, just sliding them on is all it takes. Just trying to troubleshoot.

NVM...after another round of checking things out and twisting the wiring alllll around, I noticed that the silver pin in the blue connector was pressed against the side so it wasn't sliding into the wire tap. All is GREAT!

#38 ·
It works! Well worth it.

Easy to install. 10 min max. Can access fine t the fuse cover panel

will be great for times I'm looking for something in the dark under the tonneau cover.

seller also emailed color pix that show clearly which wires to tap into (below)

One note. The plugs have a white button on one side to press and release the plug.

Only hard thing for me was replugging the lower plug. The wire has to bend a bit to get it plugged back in. Had trouble lining up the plug with the socket but eventually wiggled it into place

Lower plug
Automotive tire Textile Sleeve Font Bag

upper plug
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Gas

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Wheel

Upper plug
Gesture Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Cable

#42 ·
It works! Well worth it.

Easy to install. 10 min max. Can access fine t the fuse cover panel

will be great for times I'm looking for something in the dark under the tonneau cover.

seller also emailed color pix that show clearly which wires to tap into (below)

One note. The plugs have a white button on one side to press and release the plug.

Only hard thing for me was replugging the lower plug. The wire has to bend a bit to get it plugged back in. Had trouble lining up the plug with the socket but eventually wiggled it into place

Lower plug View attachment 19998

upper plug
View attachment 19999

View attachment 20000

Upper plug
View attachment 20001
Do you mind sharing the ebay listing? The one originally linked here is no longer available.

Edit: Nevermind, found it here. I don't know how to delete posts though, so I'll leave it here for anyone in the future :D