Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one thing I really dislike. Why don't the bed lights turn on when the tailgate is opened? Worse because I have to go inside to turn them on.
I am looking for some help from anyone who might have access to the electrical service manual. Looking to see the sections that show the wiring for the interior switch, the wiring for the bed lights, and information about the sensor that turns on the lights when the bed storage cover is opened (wiring, part number, location). I will gladly buy access to get the complete manual if it contains sufficient information to understand how this circuitry works, but I would hate to waste money if it doesn't show anything useful.
My goal is to find a simple and easy way to turn on bed lighting without opening the storage cover or going inside to use the switch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is one thing I really dislike. Why don't the bed lights turn on when the tailgate is opened? Worse because I have to go inside to turn them on.
I am looking for some help from anyone who might have access to the electrical service manual. Looking to see the sections that show the wiring for the interior switch, the wiring for the bed lights, and information about the sensor that turns on the lights when the bed storage cover is opened (wiring, part number, location). I will gladly buy access to get the complete manual if it contains sufficient information to understand how this circuitry works, but I would hate to waste money if it doesn't show anything useful.
My goal is to find a simple and easy way to turn on bed lighting without opening the storage cover or going inside to use the switch.
i can not find also .they did a dumm thing should turn lights when tail gate opens

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
676 Posts
My Hampton Gray Limited is still en route, so I don't have the ability to do some electrical testing as of yet. But from what I know, opening the brunk triggers the bed lights.

That means there is a switch (probably in the latch assy) that triggers the lights. Once the correct circuit is identified, it would really be a simple matter of interfacing a mag switch to trigger when the tailgate is opened.

The other possibility is that since the tailgate triggers a door open warning, it may be possible to use that signal to trigger the trunk lights.

Again, I am not able to identify and test as of yet; but I cannot see where either of these solutions are not viable.

·
Administrator
209 Posts
Why don't the bed lights turn on when the tailgate is opened?
Because having white light emitted from the rear of a vehicle (except while driving in reverse) would violate motor vehicle lighting standards that require only only red light (or amber or yellow for signaling devices) be emitted from the rear.

The Ridgeline, for example, activates its bed lights when the tailgate is opened from the side, but not while lowered.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Because having white light emitted from the rear of a vehicle (except while driving in reverse) would violate motor vehicle lighting standards that require only only red light (or amber or yellow for signaling devices) be emitted from the rear.

The Ridgeline, for example, activates its bed lights when the tailgate is opened from the side, but not while lowered.
That information needs to be shared with all the BroDozer drivers I see driving down the road with their cargo lights and/or aux reverse lights on. 🤣

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This seems to be the running theory as to why the lights don't come on when the tail gate is dropped. Having such a short bed means many will drive thier SC with the tail gate down. The easy fix is having the lights only on when the vehicle is in park. Does the dash switch work that way?

As noted by the OP we just need the wiring diagram for brunk to find which wire triggers the lights then add a manual switch or alarm pin to complete the circuit.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
The tailgate doesn't trigger a door open alert - the BRUNK does. Incessantly. Every time you stop. Loudly.

I thought I read (in the manual? I don't recall) that the cargo lights will automatically turn off when the vehicle is put in drive. That solves the problem of them being on while driving with the tailgate down if it was wired that way. Future year revisions will probably address it, but not for us. #earlyadopterproblems

·
Registered
676 Posts
The tailgate doesn't trigger a door open alert - the BRUNK does. Incessantly. Every time you stop. Loudly.

I thought I read (in the manual? I don't recall) that the cargo lights will automatically turn off when the vehicle is put in drive. That solves the problem of them being on while driving with the tailgate down if it was wired that way. Future year revisions will probably address it, but not for us. #earlyadopterproblems
Ah yes, you are right! Not having one yet puts me at a disadvantage.... 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

·
Registered
353 Posts
My Hampton Gray Limited is still en route, so I don't have the ability to do some electrical testing as of yet. But from what I know, opening the brunk triggers the bed lights.

That means there is a switch (probably in the latch assy) that triggers the lights. Once the correct circuit is identified, it would really be a simple matter of interfacing a mag switch to trigger when the tailgate is opened.

The other possibility is that since the tailgate triggers a door open warning, it may be possible to use that signal to trigger the trunk lights.

Again, I am not able to identify and test as of yet; but I cannot see where either of these solutions are not viable.
I wouldn't modify any electrical circuit while under 5/ 60 warranty. Last thing you want is the dealer to say "sorry but you made an unauthorized mod and fried the ECM. $2500 please." Now if the dealer will do it then have it done. It would be simple to do though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thread I posted about lights I got from Amazon - the are motion activated and are very bright (they also have light sensors so they don't come on if it's light out). They pop on as soon as I drop the tailgate or roll the cover back. They have a magnetic strip with 3M tape that sticks to the bed and a strip on the light itself so you can pull them off and keep them in the cab if driving with the cover open (and easily replace the batteries as needed). Cheap (like $7) solution and I didn't have to monkey with the electrical system. Now, if you don't have the tonneau, that kind of ruins the whole idea!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I wouldn't modify any electrical circuit while under 5/ 60 warranty. Last thing you want is the dealer to say "sorry but you made an unauthorized mod and fried the ECM. $2500 please." Now if the dealer will do it then have it done. It would be simple to do though.
You may not...... but I would. ;) :)

Reactions: AndyJones and JMII

·
Registered
676 Posts
A circuit properly designed, integrated and interfaced into Factory wiring is by no means "a hack job". (y)

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps if I get to see the documentation, nothing will need to be "hacked".
What if the brunk sensor could be relocated? What if a magnet could turn on the lighting? What if we look at the possibilities before we dismiss trying?

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.