Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know there have been a few discussions about bike hauling.

But now its been over a month I was curious what those with tonneau cover are doing since that limits the options quite a bit.

I'm hoping I will have a limit more leeway since I'm on the shorter side and my largest bike is 27.5 wheels.

I ordered a bed extender (not just for this) and was hoping I could get at least one of my bikes with the front wheel either turned 90 degrees or just removed.

I'm also a little limited on options because the main bike I would want to haul is an ebike so its too heavy for most racks. Mine is not crazy, no fat tires and it looks mostly like a regular except for that fat down tube for the battery. Though again still to heavy for most rear and roof carriers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't have a solution as of yet. But I have ordered some rails so I can build a rack over the bed using the t-slots like Crschol7 did. I plan on using my roof rails for a kayak and the bed rack for one or two bikes. Both the roof and bed cross bars are set to arrive on Friday. Hopefully I can have something completed over the weekend, with some pictures.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a solution as of yet. But I have ordered some rails so I can build a rack over the bed using the t-slots like Crschol7 did. I plan on using my roof rails for a kayak and the bed rack for one or two bikes. Both the roof and bed cross bars are set to arrive on Friday. Hopefully I can have something completed over the weekend, with some pictures.
Thanks. Please do. I’d love to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use a tailgate pad if the bed is empty. If I have stuff in the bed I'll throw on a bike rack on the tow hitch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a tailgate pad if the bed is empty. If I have stuff in the bed I'll throw on a bike rack on the tow hitch.
You are able to get a bike over the tailgate pad with the tonneau cover installed? On some Youtube videos people couldn't fit a bike or they could only barely fit one bike angled.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I know there have been a few discussions about bike hauling.

But now its been over a month I was curious what those with tonneau cover are doing since that limits the options quite a bit.

I'm hoping I will have a limit more leeway since I'm on the shorter side and my largest bike is 27.5 wheels.

I ordered a bed extender (not just for this) and was hoping I could get at least one of my bikes with the front wheel either turned 90 degrees or just removed.

I'm also a little limited on options because the main bike I would want to haul is an ebike so its too heavy for most racks. Mine is not crazy, no fat tires and it looks mostly like a regular except for that fat down tube for the battery. Though again still to heavy for most rear and roof carriers.
I have the tonneau cover and use two tailgate pads to carry two bikes. The larger of the two bikes is about the same size as at least some versions of ebikes I'm familiar with. I've attached a picture for reference in case how I have this set up is helpful. Also of note, I can also get a bike in the cab if I take the front wheel off (thanks to another forum poster for the suggestion!). I may pursue another option using a fork mount, but I'm not super convinced of my solution yet as my bike will not fit well in the bed by itself as-is and simultaneously allow me to close the bed (more pics attached for reference of size of my situation).

Hope this helps!

Automotive tail & brake light Car Plant Wheel Vehicle
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Crankset
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle seatpost
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the details and pictures. Do you know which tailgate pad you are using?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the details and pictures. Do you know which tailgate pad you are using?
Sure thing, here's the link -- it's the MNJ Motor Tailgate Pad ($26) on Amazon.

Note: something I didn't expect with that tailgate pad is that the padded section doesn't rest on top of the tailgate but rather on the corner of the tailgate (rotate the pad when you install it to have the padded section where your frame meets the truck). Also, with my configuration, the pad supports the frame of the bike underneath and not up between the bike frame and the fork. I initially thought the position of the padded section would be much farther forward on the bike than it is. In any case, this pad works like a champ, and my bikes don't move at all while turning or at highway speed, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So it takes a little more tinkering than I would like, but we did have success with two mountain bikes (one 29 in, one 27.5 in) in the bed with a tailgate cover. I also have the tonneau.

The back wheels hit the tonneau cover, but not with any real pressure. You just have to really have the bike at an angle, instead of going parallel with the side of the bed.

Bicycle Automotive bicycle rack Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
15 Posts
So it takes a little more tinkering than I would like, but we did have success with two mountain bikes (one 29 in, one 27.5 in) in the bed with a tailgate cover. I also have the tonneau.

The back wheels hit the tonneau cover, but not with any real pressure. You just have to really have the bike at an angle, instead of going parallel with the side of the bed.

View attachment 3181
May I suggest turning your wheels the other direction to not get dirt / oil on your discs from your tailgate pad.

Great picture. Without the cover do you think the bikes would fit straight ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 3181
Thanks, that's helpful that you did actually manage to get them in angled. The pictures from the previous poster were also helpful but the way he had it resting with the fork so far away from the tailgate makes me worried that wouldn't be stable for long rides.
One other thought I had was adding the bed extender accessory and carrying with the tailgate down and and the bike laying flat on a blanket with the front wheel removed. But if it even fit that way is that viable for long trips? As someone who has never owned a truck before (I dont care what you say it has a bed its a truck unibody or not) I legit don't know if carrying cargo with the bed down is a no go for extended highway trips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
May I suggest turning your wheels the other direction to not get dirt / oil on your discs from your tailgate pad.

Great picture. Without the cover do you think the bikes would fit straight ?
@Sbleezy - Agh didn't even think of that! Great suggestion. And yeah I do think there wouldn't be an issue getting the bikes in straight w/o the tonneau cover. This felt very secure though. I think people who need to carry 3+ bikes will have to make a hard choice though (Tonneau or not).

The only thing I'm not happy with is that when we angle the bikes we lose almost all usable bed space. I'll def. get a hitch attachment (after I get a hitch...) since I want to be able to have camping gear + bikes.

Thanks, that's helpful that you did actually manage to get them in angled. The pictures from the previous poster were also helpful but the way he had it resting with the fork so far away from the tailgate makes me worried that wouldn't be stable for long rides.
One other thought I had was adding the bed extender accessory and carrying with the tailgate down and and the bike laying flat on a blanket with the front wheel removed. But if it even fit that way is that viable for long trips? As someone who has never owned a truck before (I dont care what you say it has a bed its a truck unibody or not) I legit don't know if carrying cargo with the bed down is a no go for extended highway trips.
@Bensonr2

The way we had it above felt viable for long trips. And yeah, I also didn't want the fork to be so far from the tailgate.

And no idea on whether it's bad to have the bed down - I've never had a truck before either!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once I get a pad for the tailgate, I'll try loading the ebike I have that way. I don't want to try until I have a secure cover as I would hate to scratch the tailgate after less then a week.

But the main bike I want to load is going to be tough. It's an ebike so its 65 lb, probably 55 with the battery removed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Once I get a pad for the tailgate, I'll try loading the ebike I have that way. I don't want to try until I have a secure cover as I would hate to scratch the tailgate after less then a week.

But the main bike I want to load is going to be tough. It's an ebike so its 65 lb, probably 55 with the battery removed.
If you had somewhere you could back the truck up to that brings the ground closer to tailgate heigh (cement ledge, etc.) it could help. Or use a board to roll bike up? I'm sure there's more sophisticated ways!

Keep us posted on what works!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah unfortunately the last owner of my townhouse had the loading bay removed lol.

But its not a bad suggestion. But even if I had somewhere at the house, then whenever I get where I am taking the bike to might not have a similar spot.

Really I think at the end of the day if I'm going to be taking that ebike on trips regularly I need to get the hitch along with a heavy duty hitch mount that has the flat shelf for the wheels to rest on. But I think the Thule one is like 800. So with a hitch that's a minimum 1k investment. I would consider it, but probably not until the sting of my Limited with 2k markup starts to subside lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, great news 👍, at least I think so. I was inspired to build my rack after seeing the one that was built by Crschol7.

I ordered some crossbars from Amazon, I just was searching for universal bars with no application in mind. I was looking for something that was at minimum 51 inches since the slots on the side of the bed are the far apart. Anyway I found a set on clearance for $23 and ordered them.

Here is what I got....

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car
Font Line Material property Parallel Newspaper
Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel

This is actually for the roof of a bed topper. It fits the slots with no modifications and mounts with standard 1/4 - 20 carriage bolts.

For me it couldn't be simpler. I now just have to mount a bike rack on the crossbars.

I figure this can be used as a reference to find other brands that will do the same thing if this one is not available.

MJ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you happen to have the Amazon link?
Ok, so here is the link. The bars pictured is not what was sent to me. The bars I ordered are $29 with a $10 coupon to make them $19 + tax. Anyway what arrived is what I've shown pictures of, the ones in the link is what I was going to build a mount for.

I'm tempted to order another set to see what arrives.

Mj

·
Registered
2022 Ice White Limited AWD SC
31 Posts
Ok, so here is the link. The bars pictured is not what was sent to me. The bars I ordered are $29 with a $10 coupon to make them $19 + tax. Anyway what arrived is what I've shown pictures of, the ones in the link is what I was going to build a mount for.

I'm tempted to order another set to see what arrives.

Mj
Doesn't look like it is the same one. So it came with the mounts and crossbars? Can you provide a screenshot of the order details?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts