Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with built in nav are you using that or carplay for apple / google / waze?

I am really liking the build in nav as it has a more premium feel and feels more accurate. However I don't know how good the traffic data is and for longer trips I probably will want to keep it on Waze for fuzz alerts and whatnot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using both. Seems easier to add/find a location via Google or Apple maps first that connect to car play vs. entering directly into the navigation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For those with built in nav are you using that or carplay for apple / google / waze?

I am really liking the build in nav as it has a more premium feel and feels more accurate. However I don't know how good the traffic data is and for longer trips I probably will want to keep it on Waze for fuzz alerts and whatnot.
Don’t have my SC yet, but I’ve always used Waze on my other vehicles… shows the crowed sourced radar traps and now photo radar locations… 🤨

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been using both. Seems easier to add/find a location via Google or Apple maps first that connect to car play vs. entering directly into the navigation.
Oh yeah, I did notice that. It was harder to search for addresses. But I set my home, work and daycare to my favorites and that covers 90 percent of my trips.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
I have had good luck with the factory Nav. It seems to do a good job of finding what I am looking for. I have used Bluelink to send a location to the vehicle before I get into the vehicle.

But Waze does have a nice feature, already mentioned, that makes it hard to get away from using it. haha

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Don’t have my SC yet, but I’ve always used Waze on my other vehicles… shows the crowed sourced radar traps and now photo radar locations… 🤨
Same here. Plus Waze, Google or Apple Maps get updated constantly where the built in Nav will be out of date very quickly if their is any road construction. In my other vehicles I've only used the built in Nav to make sure it would worked in a pinch like losing my phone or having no cell coverage.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
189 Posts
We use the factory navigation in our Veloster fairly regularly. The only issue we have with it is that it's a 2012, so the maps are rather out of date. We're going to look into having them updated, because my wife wants it updated (and it's her primary vehicle).

My SEL Premium does not have navigation, so I have to use CarPlay. I used it the other day, and it seemed to work ok. I just wish the screen would have the split-screen option, so that I could have both SiriusXM and the map up at the same time. It might be able to do it, but I haven't found out how to do it yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts

There is no factory NAV. as far as I know.. Have the SEL Limited.. Works off Google maps on your phone...

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
40 Posts
The limited should have come with the 10.25” touchscreen NAV radio. It has wired CarPlay, built in Nav, HD radio, etc. It’s upgraded from the Premium trim level, which has the 8” touchscreen, wireless CarPlay but no Nav.

All that being said, I have built in Nav in my Jeep. Upgraded the maps June of this year, the maps are from 2019. All factory systems maps will always be behind Google maps, Waze, etc. I still find the built in Nav useful though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have had good luck with the factory Nav. It seems to do a good job of finding what I am looking for. I have used Bluelink to send a location to the vehicle before I get into the vehicle.

But Waze does have a nice feature, already mentioned, that makes it hard to get away from using it. haha
Especially with those 2.5 Turbo models.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same here. Plus Waze, Google or Apple Maps get updated constantly where the built in Nav will be out of date very quickly if their is any road construction. In my other vehicles I've only used the built in Nav to make sure it would worked in a pinch like losing my phone or having no cell coverage.
Someday, hopefully that won't even be a concern anymore.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I lose cell signal, I still have the Garmin app, I purchased, when I had the IPhone 3 back in 2009 - I use it in the states and Europe, as it doesn’t use data and cell signal not required.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
When I lose cell signal, I still have the Garmin app, I purchased, when I had the IPhone 3 back in 2009 - I use it in the states and Europe, as it doesn’t use data and cell signal not required.
I think Google Map now preloads most of the data once you select a route, but you can also force it download. MAPS.ME (MapsWithMe), detailed offline maps of the world for iPhone, iPad, Android is good for overseas use to avoid data roaming charges. Having all the data onboard is about the only reason I still like having a built in Nav system... which is why I mentioned the cell data issue.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
I take trips into the mountains and can't get cell service. Google Maps allows you to download areas ahead of time for use when you don't have cell service. It is handy. I think it keeps them loaded for like a year or so. Then the app prompts you to download them again if you want to keep them.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz limited
14 Posts

I was really hoping to run Waze alerts in the background while using the SC navigation but that doesn’t seem possible from what I’ve tried.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been using Google Maps, Waze, and the built-in Nav to compare, and I'm surprised that I'm leaning toward the built-in Nav as my first preference. The voice recognition has been really good for finding destinations including business names instead of saying addresses, and I really like that I can use split-screen to have CarPlay on the left with the Hyundai Nav map on the right or I can put the Hyundai Nav map on the left and put the "now playing" from CarPlay on the right. Finally, when using the built-in Hyundai Nav, you can scroll to the very basic navigation directions on the instrument cluster directly in front of you. Pictures attached for examples if unfamiliar. Options abound for all!

P.S. "Easter Egg" - the map on the "Splash Screen" is actually a live map, also. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Finally, when using the built-in Hyundai Nav, you can scroll to the very basic navigation directions on the instrument cluster directly in front of you.
This type of integration is the best part of built in Nav. That split screen feature looks helpful too since the screen is wide enough to display more stuff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The built in NAV on my Veloster N is quite good. I much prefer it to fiddling with the phone. Good Reason for both though..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts