Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I plunked down $100 to "reserve" an SC. It really doesn't mean much, just that I might be first in line to buy one locally.

My biggest concern is that Hyundai will try to charge MSRP to us that buy first. Does anyone have any experience with Hyundai and being an early buyer of their product? I certainly will never pay MSRP for a vehicle, even if the news right now is that new car sales have skyrocketed.

A comparison to getting a deal on a yet to be released vehicle is the Bronco. I am also in line for one of those - still deciding on what type of vehicle I really want. These are in such high demand that certain dealerships around the country are offering great deals on them if you order through them. I live in NH and will be ordering in W. VA and will get pricing $1,000 below invoice, which is a > 3K savings over MSRP.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anytime a new vehicle launches it normally goes for MSRP and often more. All depends on supply and demand. New vehicle often = high demand + low supply whichs means higher pricing. The manufacture sets the MSRP but dealers buy inventory at a lower price. The difference is down to how much profit the dealer wants. Due to hold back, various incentives and even financing kick back the dealer can still make money while selling below MSRP.

I would be amazed if you could get a Bronco at below MSRP - they are a hot ticket item right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would be amazed if you could get a Bronco at below MSRP - they are a hot ticket item right now.
Heard a guy recently sold his used dually truck for more than he bought it. Only deals you can get seem to be on sedans, which are going a bit out of fashion. Crossovers and trucks are hot, and SC is basically a crossover truck, lol!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup... bought my '19 ranger for 34... Carvana is offering 33 for it now w/13k miles on it... very tempting ... mine is a Lariat but some with the lower XLT trims are getting really crazy numbers... like 4-8k more than they paid... if mine reaches that ... I'm dumping it and putting the money in a mutual fund until I'm ready for the SC... Mine keeps going up about 500 every few days... lol.. I got the Miata to drive for necessity so I'm in a good place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The entire used market is crazy right now. Lack of new sales = no trade ins, plus this chip shortage and other COVID related complications have flipped the market upside down. I could basically sell my C7 for MORE then what I paid for it 2.5 years ago despite doubling the mileage.

Before the SC was announced I was looking at used Rangers and inventory was low not offering me much choice... its one of the reasons I held off on buying one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anytime a new vehicle launches it normally goes for MSRP and often more. All depends on supply and demand. New vehicle often = high demand + low supply whichs means higher pricing. The manufacture sets the MSRP but dealers buy inventory at a lower price. The difference is down to how much profit the dealer wants. Due to hold back, various incentives and even financing kick back the dealer can still make money while selling below MSRP.

Yeah, the Bronco thing is kind of crazy. I reserved a 2021 over a year ago on the second day and I have to wait for a 2022, there were so many reservations. A few dealers around the U.S. jumped on the Bronco Forums and offered below MSRP for buyers that switched their reservations to them. They are going for volume and making their money via hold back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lack of used inventory is creating a great market for new vehicles that are not subject to the chip shortage or models with excessive inventory. I'm seeing lots of TV ads for incentives on all sorts of vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would fully expect MSRP for the early adopters. Anything over and I walk. Heck, I bought a C8 Vette at MSRP and was one of the first on the road...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go MSRP but anything over...forget about it. A lot of dealers are doing these "Market Adjustment" thing for the popular models....not worth it. If that is the case I would then look at a "real" Pickup, instead.

·
Registered
2012 Mini Cooper 2007 Honda CR-V 1968 IH Travelall 4X4
37 Posts
As a $100 "Insider" myself, I'm hoping pricing stays in the mid-twenties like the 2022 Tucson or I'm most likely out. I've never paid more than MSRP Out-The-Door (OTD) for a new car. If the dealers play games with the price I'd walk away like others have stated. With that said, I love what I've seen so far. Mid-twenties base SE to start sounds reasonable.

I have a friend that went through a similar process with the new Bronco Sport for his wife. He took delivery a couple weeks ago. Ford didn't play games with the MSRP from the price he reserved at the time of his deposit. Unfortunately Hyundai hasn't announced what MSRP will be, but my thought was to get in early and tell them what model, trim and color I'm interested in now; in hopes of getting into a Santa Cruz early this Summer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The entire used market is crazy right now. Lack of new sales = no trade ins, plus this chip shortage and other COVID related complications have flipped the market upside down. I could basically sell my C7 for MORE then what I paid for it 2.5 years ago despite doubling the mileage.
Need to convince my SO to sell his old C5 that just sits around taking up space anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts