Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I miss my CD's. SiriusXM is great but I have a large collection of CD's that I want to listen to in my Santa Cruz. I have tried putting them on a USB using my home computer and they don't play. Can anyone here tell me the easiest way you put music on a USB?
My second question is about CD players with a USB plugin. Any recommendations for good ones I can use in the SC? Thanks for your help.

Reactions: DeSOB

·
Registered
147 Posts
I could never get in to SiriusXM. The sound quality is way too compressed for me to enjoy.

What format are you ripping your CDs to? Have you tried putting the files on your phone and using a player on your phone through bluetooth?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
About 12 years ago, I spent hours on hours transferring most of my CDs to iTunes… I have t bought a CD since, but, now I have them all on my iPhone. I can’t recall how I did it, but I’m sure there’s a YouTube video for it. 🤪

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any recommendations on transferring my CD's to my SD card for my phone? Do I need to go through itunes or can I use a program to convert music to mp3 directly on my computer and then copy it to the SD card?

Reactions: Daedalus

·
Registered
24 Posts
CD's are .wav files, dont think they will play on a usb stick. you need to use MP3's. i usually use a tool like this to convert youtube videos to mp3's then transfer them to a usb stick. just put in the url of the video and it converts the audio to mp3. and its free.....there are many online companys that do it. just do a search on "youtube to mp3 converter"

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
676 Posts
I could never get in to SiriusXM. The sound quality is way too compressed for me to enjoy.
That, and the fact that SXM is like a stalker ex-girlfriend once your trial period expires.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
That, and the fact that SXM is like a stalker ex-girlfriend once your trial period expires.
Forget the trail period ending… they called me multiple times just when it started. Had to hang up on the after multiple times, telling them I was t interested in extending (at the special introductory price). Followed up by couple small mails…

·
Registered
382 Posts
I did a little experiment in case you do want to use a USB stick for your music. That said, if you have a good way to transfer your music to your phone, streaming your phone via Bluetooth is an excellent way to listen to your music. iTunes should be able to rip your CDs for you -- here's a quick "how to" in order to at least do the conversion from the CD to your computer: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-copy-a-music-cd-to-itunes-2438865

I'm not an Android user, so you might have to Google around a little to get the music onto your phone from that point (on Mac, iTunes does that when you sync your phone to iTunes).

Back to USB, in order for the Santa Cruz to play USB music, it appears that the music file type needs to be .mp3 (selectable in iTunes when you rip the CD). There may be other file types, but I know for sure that my music that was file type .m4a does not work on the Santa Cruz. Then, simply copy the directories and MP3s that iTunes creates onto the USB stick (hint -- you can right-click a song in iTunes and find information about the directory that song is in). Here's the sample directory that I constructed:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

To start playing music, plug in the USB stick into the left USB port in the Santa Cruz, press the Media button on the dashboard, and select USB Music:
Gadget Communication Device Font Screenshot Display device

The Santa Cruz will probably just start playing something, and it will look something like this:
Gadget Font Screenshot Display device Multimedia

A really useful button is in the upper-right corner, called "List" -- that will show you more information about the directory on your USB stick. You can choose songs or artists, etc. by clicking on the left side.

Font Screenshot Electronic device Gadget Electric blue

Hope this helps a little bit in some way!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Any recommendations on transferring my CD's to my SD card for my phone? Do I need to go through itunes or can I use a program to convert music to mp3 directly on my computer and then copy it to the SD card?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hlacoss- Big thanks for your very informative post. I found some old mp3 files on my computer and transferred them to a USB as a test. They played great when I tried them in the SC. Now I need to start converting my cd's to mp3s. That's going to take some time. How many mp3 tracks should a 128 gb USB hold?
My next step will be to move them to my SC card and try them in the truck.
Thanks to everyone for the good advice and help.

Reactions: TNCruz

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hlacoss- Big thanks for your very informative post. I found some old mp3 files on my computer and transferred them to a USB as a test. They played great when I tried them in the SC. Now I need to start converting my cd's to mp3s. That's going to take some time. How many mp3 tracks should a 128 gb USB hold?
For the average mp3 song (standard 3 - 5 minutes) 128GB should hold roughly 30,000 songs or so (depends on encoding). That should get you through your commute 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE FWD
908 Posts
The big problem is..You can't use android auto and play USB Music... but you can from your cell..

·
Registered
513 Posts
The big problem is..You can't use android auto and play USB Music... but you can from your cell..
Depends on your system. With my SEL I can - I don't have the Bose "premium" stereo so I have wireless AA (will never understand how premium has fewer features!). I actually never unplug the USB stick unless I'm adding more music to it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You bet, happy to help. A 128GB USB will hold...a lot. :) Realistically, it should easily be in the thousands or tens of thousands of songs at least.

You're on the way -- perhaps USB is the first step for you and should you try to eventually put them on a phone, I think you'll also have a great experience using Bluetooth streaming or Android Auto, as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help where I can!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ripped some Christmas music from CDs we own and I loaded it onto my iPhone X. The music and maps start automatically through CarPlay. Ripping to MP3 can be done through Windows Media Player or iTunes. There are alternatives to iTunes for loading the MP3. iTunes sometimes makes me want to tear my hair out in clumps. One problem is that the sound level on commercial CDs sometimes varies. Audacity is a free program that allows one to adjust levels so you are not reaching for the volume control repeatedly. I did need to go into WAZE and adjust its volume level so the prompts are similar in volume to my music. Once in iTunes I synchronized my phone with iTunes and my music is on my phone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think for now, I will use a USB. It should hold all the music I need and can just be left in the SC. Thanks!

Reactions: hlacoss

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am going to qualify this statement that converting your CD collection to a Digital format ie MP3, FLAC,... is actually a Copywrite infringement.

That being said one of the best tools I have ever seen for handling something like this was Media Monkey you could rip the songs you wanted Tag them properly, apply album art and move them to the USB drive in a single motion.

I quit playing with the likes of mp3's as I have had access to apple music or youtube/google music for years. But remember if you are ripping your music and not using something like FLAC or a similar format you will not be getting a lossless format and you will have digital compression.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have figured out the process and I'm putting music on a USB right now. It works great and when I get done with my music, I'm going to make one for my wife and her music to use in her Tucson.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts