Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 10 years every vehicle I had was the top trim. Just had to have it! After selling my 2022 Ridgeline Black Edition (retiring and cutting expenses) I wanted a cheaper vehicle.

Went with the SEL, AWD version. Needed AWD for those Maine winters. I looked at higher trim levels and the activity package with envy. Almost went there. But had to remain focused on my objective.

A few days ago I did a 600 mile round trip in same day. What a surprise! A very pleasant surprise. All the best safety features, really comfortable seats and a pleasure to drive.

Discovered I had everything I needed at this trim level. Absolutely no regrets. No more trim level envy. Plus this SC was about $18K cheaper than the Ridgeline which I sold for almost what I paid for it. Objective meet. One day closer to retirement!

Gusto!

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
733 Posts
Unlike you, I'm already retired and still have to have all the bells and whistles. :D
I'm with that; enjoy the fruits of your labor. (y) :)

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
299 Posts
Congrats my man.. I have the limited but only because it was the next available that came up and I was tired of waiting for 2-3 months and missing out because someone beat me to the purchase line. I was literally beaten to the purchase by a phone call, I showed up 10 minutes after the dealership opened because my sales guy gave me a heads up that they had just unloaded one that morning. I drive over there. I'm looking at the car and ask to take her for a spin. The sales guy goes to find the keys and when he came back, he said someone called the office and plopped down a deposit to get first dibs. After that, I did the same and ended up with the limited trim.

But I really thought the SEL AWD was the better value. The one I really wanted as the Sage Gray, SEL AWD. I still get envy when I see folks on here with that one. But I love my Limited White, Activity Package. I have side rails that I never use and a roof rack that I'll likely never use as well. But at least I got mine while interest rates were still low. So it worked out in the end.

·
Registered
SEL w/ ‘Activity Pkg’ in Sage
257 Posts
“I did a 600 mile round trip in same day.”

Wow! Good for you! I haven’t driven like that in a long time, and as a retiree with health problems, don’t foresee doing so in the future.
Mind telling where you went?

Gusto! 😁

·
Registered
340 Posts
I love how you think that the Ridgeline had all the bells and whistles, even in the Black Edition 😂 Hondas are so far behind in terms of technology it's ridiculous. They still don't even offer a surround view camera on any trim level on their Ridgelines.

I get what you're saying though. Yet, here I am, having traded in my SEL Premium and awaiting delivery of my Limited because I miss all the bells and whistles that I've had on all my other vehicles that I thought I wouldn't miss such as Adaptive Cruise, Surround View Camera, or heck, even a heated steering wheel.

For some of us, once you've gone down the road of having all the bells and whistles, it's hard to go without them.

I knew I should never have upgraded from that Hyundai Excel :ROFLMAO::cool::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
SEL Premium costs almost the same as a base Ridgeline. For some people it's worth the $7K extra for the turbo and activity package. Choosing the SEL in the low $30Ks is actually a much easier shopping decision. It's a heck of a vehicle for the money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love how you think that the Ridgeline had all the bells and whistles, even in the Black Edition 😂 Hondas are so far behind in terms of technology it's ridiculous. They still don't even offer a surround view camera on any trim level on their Ridgelines.

I get what you're saying though. Yet, here I am, having traded in my SEL Premium and awaiting delivery of my Limited because I miss all the bells and whistles that I've had on all my other vehicles that I thought I wouldn't miss such as Adaptive Cruise, Surround View Camera, or heck, even a heated steering wheel.

For some of us, once you've gone down the road of having all the bells and whistles, it's hard to go without them.

I knew I should never have upgraded from that Hyundai Excel :ROFLMAO::cool::ROFLMAO:
I have to agree with your take on "bells/whistles". My Limited has yet to arrive - this week I am told. The decision to go with that trim was essentially the same as your decision to trade-up. While I have had a difficult time adjusting to the myriad of "safety" features on cars I have so equipped in recent years (GTI Autobahn, for instance), I have made it work over time. I among the geezers here, and I do find my reaction times etc have waned with years. The safety features on the SC will likely "save" me - as have those on my GTI have. We keep the GTI, BTW!

·
Registered
2022, Hyundai, Santa Cruz, SEL w/ Activity Package
146 Posts
For the past 10 years every vehicle I had was the top trim. Just had to have it! After selling my 2022 Ridgeline Black Edition (retiring and cutting expenses) I wanted a cheaper vehicle.

Went with the SEL, AWD version. Needed AWD for those Maine winters. I looked at higher trim levels and the activity package with envy. Almost went there. But had to remain focused on my objective.

A few days ago I did a 600 mile round trip in same day. What a surprise! A very pleasant surprise. All the best safety features, really comfortable seats and a pleasure to drive.

Discovered I had everything I needed at this trim level. Absolutely no regrets. No more trim level envy. Plus this SC was about $18K cheaper than the Ridgeline which I sold for almost what I paid for it. Objective meet. One day closer to retirement!

Gusto!
I think there is a perfect middle ground. My previous car was pretty basic but I was content for the most part (No backup camera sucked tho). The santa cruz is pretty good in the SEL trim. Not too pricey but still gives lots of goodies.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
620 Posts
I can certainly relate to you, @MaineMan. We are going to sell our 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R (20-25 mpg) and get the new Kia Sportage Hybrid (38 mpg). They have multitudinous trim levels, but we chose a mid-level trim that has everything we need. I have never purchased the top trim of any automobile we have ever owned, because the payments were just to high. I like to stay around $300/month or less. We will have a very small payment ($100) on the Sportage after we sell the Outback.

The Sportage Hybrid EX ($32K) has similar features to the SEL Premium of the Santa Cruz. I crossed the Sportage and the Tucson off my list because their hybrid versions only average a bit over 30 mpg in real world driving. Not good enough for a hybrid vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 SE AWD - Phantom Black
122 Posts
My sentiments exactly. I've had a couple of top trim vehicles. My Dodge Nitro stands out the most. It was an SLT.

So, my Nitro had several issues. It was bumpy as ****, due to the 20s and low-pro tires. The leather got really annoying to take care of. The bluetooth didn't work half of the time. SiriusXM didn't work after a couple of years.

So, the next vehicle was a Jeep Patriot Sport. I think Jeep went too cheap with their bottom of the range model. The thing didn't even have power locks or windows, cuz Jeep. I had decided that I was going to want a little more than that when I got a new vehicle.

So, I looked at everything that comes with the SE Santa Cruz. I've got all the stuff I wanted, particularly Android Auto, power locks and windows, cruise, etc. I don't actually want, or need, the couple of differences between the SE and SEL or SEL Premium. I hate low-pro tires so, I didn't even look into the Limited. I also think it's ridiculous that the Limited requires me to either plugin for Android Auto, or buy the little USB adapter thingy.

I'm perfectly content with my SE AWD...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
“I did a 600 mile round trip in same day.”

Wow! Good for you! I haven’t driven like that in a long time, and as a retiree with health problems, don’t foresee doing so in the future.
Mind telling where you went?

Gusto! 😁
I took a trip from mid Maine, near the coast, to mid Connecticut near Hartford. I left about 7 AM. I picked up a truck full of furniture and boxes. Stayed for 2-3 hours. Headed back to Maine. Ran into heavy traffic on return trip. Took an hour longer to get back home.

I downloaded an 11 hour book from Audible before I left. Great book by John Connelly helped pass the time. Round trip took 13 hours including a few stops.

A point of interest was 3 different guys wanted to talk about my SC when I took a break. They all had heard about the new vehicle but none had seen one. Of note, I was a good ambassador for new truck!

Gusto!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Years ago, in an old life I was a truck driver. I delivered office furniture, very expensive upscale and plush, to the high rise buildings in NYC! Back in late 70s I had one company President go over with white gloves looking for dings, dirt and blemishes. He found none. I got a $200 tip! It was a good day.

Gusto!

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
I think there is a perfect middle ground. My previous car was pretty basic but I was content for the most part (No backup camera sucked tho). The santa cruz is pretty good in the SEL trim. Not too pricey but still gives lots of goodies.
My sentiments exactly. I've had a couple of top trim vehicles. My Dodge Nitro stands out the most. It was an SLT.

So, my Nitro had several issues. It was bumpy as ****, due to the 20s and low-pro tires. The leather got really annoying to take care of. The bluetooth didn't work half of the time. SiriusXM didn't work after a couple of years.

So, the next vehicle was a Jeep Patriot Sport. I think Jeep went too cheap with their bottom of the range model. The thing didn't even have power locks or windows, cuz Jeep. I had decided that I was going to want a little more than that when I got a new vehicle.

So, I looked at everything that comes with the SE Santa Cruz. I've got all the stuff I wanted, particularly Android Auto, power locks and windows, cruise, etc. I don't actually want, or need, the couple of differences between the SE and SEL or SEL Premium. I hate low-pro tires so, I didn't even look into the Limited. I also think it's ridiculous that the Limited requires me to either plugin for Android Auto, or buy the little USB adapter thingy.

I'm perfectly content with my SE AWD...
SE vs SEL is a tough call if you really don't care about the turbo or activity package. The SE's price alone makes you think twice, but the SEL gives you so many safety and convenience features as standard equipment. I normally go for base models, but the SEL just seemed like better value.

·
Registered
122 Posts
SE vs SEL is a tough call if you really don't care about the turbo or activity package. The SE's price alone makes you think twice, but the SEL gives you so many safety and convenience features as standard equipment. I normally go for base models, but the SEL just seemed like better value.
My deciding factor on SE was that I'd never had any of those safety features before. I wanted Android Auto, AWD and a cool color. That led me to a black SE AWD. We named her Fantasma (Phantom in Spanish).

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
My deciding factor on SE was that I'd never had any of those safety features before. I wanted Android Auto, AWD and a cool color. That led me to a black SE AWD. We named her Fantasma (Phantom in Spanish).
I've definitely turned down/off some of the safety nanny features, but my wife feels a lot better thinking that I use them. She demanded heated seats for the 2 times a year when we go up North. It's 106 here today. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've definitely turned down/off some of the safety nanny features, but my wife feels a lot better thinking that I use them. She demanded heated seats for the 2 times a year when we go up North. It's 106 here today. 🤷‍♀️
In my last truck my wife was always nagging at me to stay in my own lane!! When my wife dropped me off to pick up my new SC I drove it home and discovered a problem. Apparently, my wife was right. in the 25 miles heading home on back roads the lane keeping assist must have gone off a dozen times or more - ouch! Maybe I do need a 'little" help staying in my lane.

I currently have the LKA set up, so it only gives me a warning. No vibration required. Now it's a game I play. Try to never have it "bark" at me!

Gusto!

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my last truck my wife was always nagging at me to stay in my own lane!! When my wife dropped me off to pick up my new SC I drove it home and discovered a problem. Apparently, my wife was right. in the 25 miles heading home on back roads the lane keeping assist must have gone off a dozen times or more - ouch! Maybe I do need a 'little" help staying in my lane.

I currently have the LKA set up, so it only gives me a warning. No vibration required. Now it's a game I play. Try to never have it "bark" at me!

Gusto!
I use LKA and LFA. I really like both of those. I've also had the forward collision thing beep at me a couple of times from being a butthead in traffic.

My attention monitor always shows a full cup of coffee, when I remember it's there. :coffee:

·
Registered
SEL w/ ‘Activity Pkg’ in Sage
257 Posts
What cracks me up is driving with two fingers on the btm. of the wheel and it telling me to put my hands on the wheel, haha! Other times I’ll take them off to test it/show off, and 1/2 the time, nothing!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts