Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
And, Kia with the Soulster, years before that! If you look at how much buzz these vehicles receive, it's obvious there must be SOME kind of love for this class. It just takes courage AND great marketing. As a triathlete, I can see the commercial where the couple is coming home in their CUV/SUV and all their wet, stinky gear is in the back, and they are dying!!! Fast-forward to the gear being thrown into the bed of the SC, the locking lid slammed down, and BOOM, all you see are taillights and happy people!

·
Registered
729 Posts
The fear other companies have of this class makes you wonder what makes Hyundai feel so confident to get into it, unless this has something to do with the changing times and now being the time for vehicles like this with Hyundai getting in early

·
Registered
102 Posts
The fear other companies have of this class makes you wonder what makes Hyundai feel so confident to get into it, unless this has something to do with the changing times and now being the time for vehicles like this with Hyundai getting in early
I think Hyundai really believes in this "urban adventurer" character, the twenty-somethings who are buying the lofts downtown. These kids want a vehicle that is multifunctional, but don't want to look like they are in their dad's pickup, on their way to a NASCAR race! I also believe Hyundai sees this as a global vehicle. I saw an interview with an Aussie reporter and the Hyundai exec was very clear that this could be a right-hand drive, "no problem".

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are definitely some cities where I could see it being more popular than others. I see people in Portland or San Fran liking this, but less so people in New York. That's just the impression I am getting.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Ford Ranger is a great little truck. My step dad had one for a long time when I was growing up. I guess its probably the same size as the Santa Cruz, the Santa Cruz is just lower to the ground so it feels more like you are driving a sedan.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Ford Ranger is a great little truck. My step dad had one for a long time when I was growing up. I guess its probably the same size as the Santa Cruz, the Santa Cruz is just lower to the ground so it feels more like you are driving a sedan.
Even the smallest regular cab 6 foot bed Ranger is still a foot longer than the SC. The SC is crossover based and so going by the height of the Tucson it should be just as tall as a Ranger.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think Hyundai really believes in this "urban adventurer" character, the twenty-somethings who are buying the lofts downtown. These kids want a vehicle that is multifunctional, but don't want to look like they are in their dad's pickup, on their way to a NASCAR race! I also believe Hyundai sees this as a global vehicle. I saw an interview with an Aussie reporter and the Hyundai exec was very clear that this could be a right-hand drive, "no problem".
Those are definitely things that would make it an even more viable product, especially the world vehicle approach, although I did see that one coming, and considering that... it might be time to consider how different it might be configured for the different world markets it will be going into! ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you really think it would be popular in a world context? Australia I think it would do well. Where else would this model be really popular? Perhaps Latin America?

·
Registered
286 Posts
This will be most popular everywhere else in the world but in the US.

In the US they will still need to get past the stigma here that trucks have to be a large masculine vehicle with big hauling and towing capability.

Australia has their Utes (which are going to be discontinued from Ford and Holden (GM) in the next two years or so. All they will have left are midsize trucks so there will be a hole in the market for a smaller car-based pickup/ute.

Latin America has several small FWD pick-ups (Ram 700, Fiat Strada, Chevy Tornado/Montana, etc.).

When compared to those other FWD pickups, and something like the Baja, the Santa Cruz does have its looks going for it. If it goes to production in the US they will absolutely have to maintain the looks as close to the concept as possible. The 2016 Tucson is close but they will have to do even better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't think Europe has many. They tend to prefer small vans. They do have midsize trucks like the Ranger and VW Amarok.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i think RAM wants to come out with some 750 truck, so with that being the growing trend, that lower and new segment of trucks to america... the whole truck industry might help to push that idea

·
Registered
102 Posts
i think RAM wants to come out with some 750 truck, so with that being the growing trend, that lower and new segment of trucks to america... the whole truck industry might help to push that idea
I could not agree more. If two or three others start bringing vehicles like this, it will change the perception of the public. "Wow, these things must be popular, because everyone's selling one!", as opposed to, "There's one of those weird Hyundai trux. What were they thinkin'?"

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm sure everyone is studying the idea but everyone else would be another model generation even behind Hyundai. Those existing small trucks are all based on low cost economy cars.
Chrysler's truck brands are Ram and Jeep. A crossover truck based off the Cherokee for either brands would be nice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ram 700.jpg

But, FCA already has this in their arsenal. It would only take a small amount of work to get this into their US mix, right?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I could not agree more. If two or three others start bringing vehicles like this, it will change the perception of the public. "Wow, these things must be popular, because everyone's selling one!", as opposed to, "There's one of those weird Hyundai trux. What were they thinkin'?"
Well yeah it helps to make this type of vehicle more a norm rather than some stand-alone model

1 - 19 of 19 Posts