Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a weird question but I had an issue with a previous vehicle where I could not leave it running with the doors locked (think going to the store with dogs in the car). Typically most cars allow this by using the physical key and locking the door after you get out (Ridgeline and Mini). If anyone with an actual SC could confirm this, I’d sure appreciate it! Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I know this is a weird question but I had an issue with a previous vehicle where I could not leave it running with the doors locked (think going to the store with dogs in the car). Typically most cars allow this by using the physical key and locking the door after you get out (Ridgeline and Mini). If anyone with an actual SC could confirm this, I’d sure appreciate it! Thanks!
You should be able to do it a couple ways. Not sure about manually locking it with the key, I didn't pop the door handle apart to try it, but as long as you have the SEL or above, you have remote start on your key fob so if all else fails, you can lock it and then hit the remote start before you walk away. Also SEL & above have Blue Link and you can start it remotely using the app on your phone. The only question is how big of a shopping trip is it - I believe both remote start features only start the car for 10 minutes and if you just leave the car idling and can lock it manually with the key it will shut off after 30 minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be able to do it a couple ways. Not sure about manually locking it with the key, I didn't pop the door handle apart to try it, but as long as you have the SEL or above, you have remote start on your key fob so if all else fails, you can lock it and then hit the remote start before you walk away. Also SEL & above have Blue Link and you can start it remotely using the app on your phone. The only question is how big of a shopping trip is it - I believe both remote start features only start the car for 10 minutes and if you just leave the car idling and can lock it manually with the key it will shut off after 30 minutes.
thanks for the reply. That’s how I thought it would work for the Ridgeline but it will only run for 10 minutes. You can restart it one more time then not again until it’s reset be starting it normally. We figured out that with the physical key it could be locked and run indefinitely. It’s one of those quirky things that can only be found out in person or on a forum.
thanks for all the info you provide!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what I do on my cars.

1) Very important, make sure that the keyfob is with you.
2) Roll down the window
3) With the engine running, get out, close the door and lock it.
4) Roll up your windows using the Auto option.
5) When you get back use the key hidden on your key fob to unlock the door.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

2) Roll down the window
Hey thanks!
I think that would work. But I looked at the owners manual and the physical key is only intended for emergencies so you need to pop off a piece of molding around the door handle to use it. Not really ideal but…
There is also the question of the backseat child detection feature and can it be disabled?? I guess you can cover the sensor.
I’m getting the picture that Hyundai is not too dog friendly in their design:-/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey thanks!
I think that would work. But I looked at the owners manual and the physical key is only intended for emergencies so you need to pop off a piece of molding around the door handle to use it. Not really ideal but…
There is also the question of the backseat child detection feature and can it be disabled?? I guess you can cover the sensor.
I’m getting the picture that Hyundai is not too dog friendly in their design:-/
I was able to turn the backseat warning off on my sonata in the system settings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to turn the backseat warning off on my sonata in the system settings.
That’s good to know. I thought it was true based on some Santa Fe info but I couldn’t find it in the owners manual.
I just need to figure out how much of a hassle removing the handle trim piece is.
Thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts
The ROA (rear occupant alert) can be turned off via User Configuration settings.

Remote start (SEL and above trims) will let the vehicle run for 10 minutes. If you leave the vehicle running it (for example after parking) the engine will automatically shut off after 60 minutes. The manual says you can override this by having the drivers seat belt fastened.

·
Registered
20 Posts

2) Roll down the window
This works and can use remote app to unlock instead of taking trim off to use key.

But note the key fob button will not unlock it, only phone app or physical key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope they come out with a SC PHEV. That way you can leave the AC running and use the 12V outlets while the car is not running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts