Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why it seems that the Canadian version has been announced for a late 2021 ship date seems to have more info out and are taking actual orders when the US version is expected to be available much sooner, as in summer of 2021?

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
765 Posts
Do Canada models get built in the same location as US models?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
906 Posts
I'm on the Hyundai Canada site right now, ready to drop my $500 deposit ... and it says late SUMMER 2021. One of the Canadian YouTube interviews with Hyundai's head office said they should be released in Canada in late August. I believe that's about the same as the US launch timeframe.

I actually appreciate that they're only sending the AWD/2.5T models to Canada. It's a good move - avoiding what Ford will do with advertising 6.3L/100km and "under $26,000" on a vehicle that almost NOBODY will actually order. How, in 2021, can you release a new vehicle without standard cruise control??? Specced the way I would consider ordering it, the price hit Just over $44,000CAD. I'm reasonably certain the SC will come in well below that, comparably equipped.

I'm really trying to figure out if I want to mark the Preferred (base) or Preferred with Trend (mid-trim) Santa Cruz. The trend add stuff I want, but also stuff I'd rather not have. Sucks not being able to order one the way you want vs. how they want to give it to you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do Canada models get built in the same location as US models?
Yes, they are all built in Montgomery, AL

I did notice they have a lot fewer options (only awd turbo models) maybe that's why they can release specs...
Actually I had noticed that before with other Hyundais - fewer trims & colors as well as the AWD. To me, it's a good thing - there really is such a thing as too many choices - the more choices, the less likely you are to find exactly what you want on the dealers lot.

I'm on the Hyundai Canada site right now, ready to drop my $500 deposit ... and it says late SUMMER 2021. One of the Canadian YouTube interviews with Hyundai's head office said they should be released in Canada in late August. I believe that's about the same as the US launch timeframe.

I actually appreciate that they're only sending the AWD/2.5T models to Canada. It's a good move - avoiding what Ford will do with advertising 6.3L/100km and "under $26,000" on a vehicle that almost NOBODY will actually order. How, in 2021, can you release a new vehicle without standard cruise control??? Specced the way I would consider ordering it, the price hit Just over $44,000CAD. I'm reasonably certain the SC will come in well below that, comparably equipped.

I'm really trying to figure out if I want to mark the Preferred (base) or Preferred with Trend (mid-trim) Santa Cruz. The trend add stuff I want, but also stuff I'd rather not have. Sucks not being able to order one the way you want vs. how they want to give it to you.
Late August would be 2/3 of the way thru summer, so they may still be talking about the same time frame as the video you saw.

In the US when you go to reserve one, it lets you choose the 2.5 Turbo either FWD or AWD, but one article I was reading said the early Turbo production will be all AWD.

I wish the packaging was different here in the US as well - on the Tucson the SEL w/Premium package gives you leather seats on the Santa Cruz you have to go to the Limited to get it. With Android Auto, I don't need navi and could do without the rest of the Limited's equipment.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm surprised they'd put the turbo with FWD at all ... I can't imagine the torque steer that would suffer from!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm surprised they'd put the turbo with FWD at all ... I can't imagine the torque steer that would suffer from!
If you're curious, get on YouTube and search for K5 GT or Sonata N-Line reviews.... apparently it's quite a mess!

My wife's Santa Fe Turbo is FWD (the old 2.0T -- only 235hp I think). It doesn't bother her, she's a conservative driver, but it would bug me if I was using it daily. It's a good motor, I have fun zipping around in it, but pulling away from a stop, especially while turning to merge into traffic... Nothing zaps the fun out of having lots of torque and HP at your disposal like TC constantly kicking in.

I don't NEED AWD here in TX, but it's well worth the price to me for a more dynamic, fun experience (y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I enjoy Savage Geese reviews.

So what I got out of all of this, is that you need the AWD to handle the turbo's power. Got it, no problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think it was a pretty fair review, honestly. Putting that much torque through one wheel will lead to some inexperienced driver hopping into mom and dad's sedan, punching the throttle, and winding up in oncoming traffic because they weren't ready for the wheel to jerk out of their hands. And I'm sure it would be horrible on ice or snow. But still looked like he was having a lot of fun driving it with that big grin on his face while Jack ranted. :D

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
765 Posts
I can hardly wait for these guys to test the SC -- Yipee-ki-yo, yipee-ki-yea!
Should be interesting to watch. I saw nothing but sh!ts & giggles every time they punched the peddle. 🤩

·
Registered
156 Posts
Or an ELSD as fitted to the 275 hp Veloster N. You'd hardly know it's a front wheel drive...
Yep... I'm sure the answer is cost cutting, but it baffles me how manufacturers who have and use an LSD in other models refuse to put it into others where it would clearly be of benefit... I think the Sonata N-Line / K5 GT (and the Honda Accord with the 2.0T) are interesting, but I really don't want to deal with an open diff and 300+ lb ft of torque. At least make it available as an option....

The Elantra N is something I have my eye on as well, I just need more space than the Veloster has. If they sold the i30N (what was the Elantra GT in N. America) there would likely be one in my garage already.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Totally, unless you're light on the pedal, or if they're offering an electronic LSD....which wouldn't be great either. I'm normally not an AWD guy, but a Cruz with the turbo, yes.Those old Mazdaspeed 3's were notorious for torque steer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Canadian here. I have a reservation through Hyundai Canada. Dealer has contacted me to confirm my order and get details of my trade in.

Hampton Grey "Ultimate" and I chose the "Dark Green Two Tone Leather". Basically took the Ultimate for the surround view monitor and ventilated seats. I didn't know I wanted these options until my current car came with it, now I can't go back to living with out it.

I have NO IDEA how the leather is going to look. Possibly will look awful. Could look cool. I was close to choosing Sand, Sage or Blue but I chickened out as I'm not sure if they will age will.

But a fun car does deserve a 'fun' colour, I just couldn't do it. So I took a gamble on the green leather as my token bit of 'fun factor'.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've got the Sage Grey Ultimate reserved too. They didn't have the two tone interior option listed when I booked it though, have to see if the dealer can get that changed. I'm assuming at this point Canada is going to have a much later launch than the States, since we still don't even have pricing. Also wondering if the green will be changed to grey like they did in the States. I can't see them giving us a special color option, but maybe...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts