Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any Limited owners frustrated by the lack of wireless carplay I use a cplay2air adapter for wireless access.

I had been using it in my Civic for the past year and a half and it worked pretty good 95 percent of the time.

First 2 days with it in the Santa Cruz I was getting frequent restarts.

I updated the firmware last evening and it immediately seemed more stable.

However I did order an Carlinkit 3.0 which is based on a newer version the hardware that is supposedly faster and more stable. I'll update this thread for comparisons once I get it.

And on a related note has anyone heard any rumors as to whether Hyundai is hoping they might be able to add wireless capability to the Limited infotainment? I believe the consensus was the reason it is missing is because the Carplay standard requires access to the car gps signal for vehicles with built in Nav. So hopefully it might be a matter of Apple certifying that for wireless vehicles with available gps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hyundai has hinted at possibly enabling wireless Carply via a software update on their 10.1" units, but I wouldn't hold my breath. More likely, they'll ignore the thousands of existing owners and find an excuse as to why they can't update them, but then start offering it on new vehicles going forward.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyundai has hinted at possibly enabling wireless Carply via a software update on their 10.1" units, but I wouldn't hold my breath. More likely, they'll ignore the thousands of existing owners and find an excuse as to why they can't update them, but then start offering it on new vehicles going forward.
I wouldn't be surprised. My last 3 Honda's had crappy infotainment. I bought a Fit that they were hyping a generational update on and they vaguely hinted at adding support for Carplay. And I think something similar happened with my Civic where it included Carplay but they might add Android Auto later.

I guess the question is is 10.1 infotainment brand new? Or is it recycled from a previous year? If its brand new then maybe they would be encouraged to update since they want to get a few years out of it. But if its already a year or two old maybe they would wait for the next refresh.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised. My last 3 Honda's had crappy infotainment. I bought a Fit that they were hyping a generational update on and they vaguely hinted at adding support for Carplay. And I think something similar happened with my Civic where it included Carplay but they might add Android Auto later.

I guess the question is is 10.1 infotainment brand new? Or is it recycled from a previous year? If its brand new then maybe they would be encouraged to update since they want to get a few years out of it. But if its already a year or two old maybe they would wait for the next refresh.
Recycled. It's in the '21 Palisade and Sonata that I know of. Also, Kia has the same issue with their 10.1" systems since I'm assuming they share the same software. So there are literally thousands and thousands of cars out there with the 10.1" head unit. And for all I know, they may even be in 2020 models as well, although I cannot confirm.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
27 Posts
Recycled. It's in the '21 Palisade and Sonata that I know of. Also, Kia has the same issue with their 10.1" systems since I'm assuming they share the same software. So there are literally thousands and thousands of cars out there with the 10.1" head unit. And for all I know, they may even be in 2020 models as well, although I cannot confirm.
This 10.25” unit first appeared on the 2020 Sonata and 2020 Telluride, followed closely by the 2020 Palisade. It’s been on many other Hyundai/Kia models since then.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Sounds like not to much hope they would update this. Seems a shame. I have an adapter for wireless carplay and it makes carplay so much better. But I really would prefer native support. There is some lag with the aftermarket adapters and I worry about bugginess.

Also as far as updates what do you think the chances are they are able to add support for digital keys for iphones? I believe the rumor was this was only missing due to an exclusivity agreement with BMW that is now expired.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait, what?!!! The limited doesn’t have wireless CarPlay? Why would they do that?
So what people who claim to have knowledge about the technicals have said is that the issue is the built in Nav on the Limited.

If a car has a GPS signal available Carplay will use it, and for the Carplay to be certified apparently it has to be able to use it. So it seems like there is problem with accessing the the GPS signal over wireless. So its unclear if that's an issue Apple needs to fix or Hyundai.

BMW I believe is the manufacturer that has supported wireless Carplay the most consistently and the longest. Since built in Nav is a more common feature for them I would be interested to hear if their vehicles have the same limitation.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,134 Posts
If it's just a CarPlay issue ... the solution is easy. Enable wireless Android Auto until Apple fixes their sh*t. :p

Peter on the Hyundai Kia Channel just addressed this again. He's getting silence on it after originally being told they expected a software update to enable it down the road. So, basically, he's saying the tune has changed and don't hold your breath. If wireless is a must-have for you, you'll either have to go the adapter route or step down trim levels until you're back in the 8" display. (Which also nets you some physical button action ... not the worst thing, except for all the other stuff you lose when going down trim levels. I don't need wireless AA/CP that badly.)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's just a CarPlay issue ... the solution is easy. Enable wireless Android Auto until Apple fixes their sh*t. :p

Peter on the Hyundai Kia Channel just addressed this again. He's getting silence on it after originally being told they expected a software update to enable it down the road. So, basically, he's saying the tune has changed and don't hold your breath. If wireless is a must-have for you, you'll either have to go the adapter route or step down trim levels until you're back in the 8" display. (Which also nets you some physical button action ... not the worst thing, except for all the other stuff you lose when going down trim levels. I don't need wireless AA/CP that badly.)
Is there wireless android auto?

And I should go on the BMW websites and look at some of their higher trim levels and see if it loses the wireless function for Carplay.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
He's getting silence on it after originally being told they expected a software update to enable it down the road. So, basically, he's saying the tune has changed and don't hold your breath.
This rule goes for anything an OEM says about future models, features, etc. The SC could be the poster child for this since the concept came out in 2015.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
Ya, my salesperson said the Hyundai rep that does the training them on the new models told them the wireless will not be an option with this 10.2" radio. "It isn't a software issue, it's a hardware issue".

There is a lot of incorrect info out there. So maybe down the road will see that is incorrect and an update will be offered. But I definitely wouldn't count on that happening.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, my salesperson said the Hyundai rep that does the training them on the new models told them the wireless will not be an option with this 10.2" radio. "It isn't a software issue, it's a hardware issue".

There is a lot of incorrect info out there. So maybe down the road will see that is incorrect and an update will be offered. But I definitely wouldn't count on that happening.
I can't see how its a hardware issue if it works for wireless Android. I wonder if saying it's a hardware issue is referencing the issue Apple requiring access to the GPS signal if available.

Alternatively on Reddit I read some speculation that the widescreen layout is not support in wireless carplay.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Alternatively on Reddit I read some speculation that the widescreen layout is not support in wireless carplay.
I've seen screen size referenced before as to why wireless isn't supported. Rumor or truth? Who knows... but this add on aftermarket box provides a fix.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a couple of the Chinese adapters. They work though they are not without their own issues. I was getting some random restarts of the device and in some instances causing the entire usb port to shut down and need to reset the infotainment to get it back. Though that might have been fixed with a firmware update.

And even if you don't get serious bugs often you get some audio delays.

In general it would be beautiful if the wireless would just work. Less clutter in the center console tray which is pretty small and you'd get that usb port back.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
I can't see how its a hardware issue if it works for wireless Android. I wonder if saying it's a hardware issue is referencing the issue Apple requiring access to the GPS signal if available.

The 10.2" Bose system does not offer wireless for Carplay or Android Auto

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 10.2" Bose system does not offer wireless for Carplay or Android Auto
Hmmm. Still all the hardware should be in place for them to implement it. My understanding is Wi-Fi is the main hardware that needs to be available. And I believe blue link has wireless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts