Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

In the middle of driving, these warnings came on
Pulled over to check brake lights and turn signal in the back, they are fine. Not sure why, I will be doing more testing at night.

Although warnings are bad and upsetting, but I'm very pleased with the detailed warning message and clear indication. My old vehicles would just hyper flash in this case

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
update:
The brake/rear turn bulbs were tested last night, no problem at all in park or drive situation and over multiple engine on-off cycles.

Today during the day, can't reproduce the same warning.

speculation:
I think this might be heat related, during the time the warning persisted, ambient temperature reached near 100 degrees, and the rear end had been basking under the sun for a while, especially the left rear pointing towards the sun.
The heat potentially triggered some sensor malfunction.

And interestingly, we're in a chip shortage crisis, and OEMs are buying whatever they can find, so perhaps chips that aren't made with the exacting standards of temp range are allowed in none mission critical parts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
View attachment 1697
View attachment 1698

In the middle of driving, these warnings came on
Pulled over to check brake lights and turn signal in the back, they are fine. Not sure why, I will be doing more testing at night.

Although warnings are bad and upsetting, but I'm very pleased with the detailed warning message and clear indication. My old vehicles would just hyper flash in this case
Geez, based on some of the comments on this forum, sure you're not driving a Ford? Good the warnings are clear.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hyundai's definitely not cheap these days, that has to be Mitsubishi
This is my first Hyundai, hopefully not many of these electric glitches, or probably I'll have to trade it for something else after bumper to bumper warranty expires. I think the drivetrain will last 10 years 100k miles trouble free if I maintain it meticulously

·
Registered
221 Posts
1987: "Sensible features, like an electric rear-window defroster, five full-size radial tires, and reclining bucket seats."
2021: What?!?! No wireless Apple CarPlay.

LOL. Amazing how much has changed.
The one thing hard to come by these days is the full size spare.
I have a car paid 20k for in 1987 (good amt. of money then); no electric door locks, no airbags, manual steering, manual seats....no wireless anything, lol. Oh, does have a full size spare.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yeah, that's why Hyundai need that long warranty, because you actually will use it.
LOL, well Hyundai as a brand isn't quite at Toyota or Honda levels, but they are better than say long established brands like Ford. That said, if there was going to be a poor reliability year for any product, it would certainly be on the first six months of a brand new product as a few teething issues are unavoidable. Its also how a vehicle that used to be below average reliability like the Dodge Challenger managed to become one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, as its getting so old with nothing but a bit of a refresh back in 2015.
LOL. Amazing how much has changed.
There were some cars way ahead of their time though, like a Corvette way back in 1997 already had heads up display on the glass, memory power seat that was tied to the fob, you could lower all the windows with the fob, and it already had a computer controlled adaptive suspension that could help it predict and respond to bumps or just go to different overall stiffness settings. A lot of cars in 2021 don't even have that.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, well Hyundai as a brand isn't quite at Toyota or Honda levels, but they are better than say long established brands like Ford. That said, if there was going to be a poor reliability year for any product, it would certainly be on the first six months of a brand new product as a few teething issues are unavoidable. Its also how a vehicle that used to be below average reliability like the Dodge Challenger managed to become one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, as its getting so old with nothing but a bit of a refresh back in 2015.
True, my last Toyotas all lasted problem free way after the comprehensive warranty expired, if Hyundai copy others, definitely should copy Toyota's Kaizen method, but don't be greedy like Toyota putting a 5-speed auto transmission in a $50k 2021 4Runner

·
Registered
77 Posts
Average price of a new car was $12,500 back then. Now, the average is $41,000
🤦‍♂️
Adjusted for inflation, that $12,500 car is more like $30,000 today. Not quite $41,000 but I'd say we're getting a decent amount of tech, safety, and quality for the extra $11,000. Even with many cars costing between $25k-$30k, we're getting a lot more for our dollar. Sometimes I miss the 80's and there were some great cars from that time, but I don't think I'd want to give up any of the cars I have today or will have (did someone say Santa Cruz).

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Maybe he had been driving the whole way during rush hour stop-n-go traffic.
How about it, @soldthetaco, how's your gas mileage doing now?
Not good, AC on full blast all the time, ventilated seats at max
In the city I get like 15 mpg
On the highway from Houston to Austin, average speed 85mph I get 22 mpg (and that's on ethanol free 92 octane gas)

I think mpg will improve after 3k miles

·
Registered
79 Posts
In 2003 I bought the Elantra 5 door hatch: 285k miles running strong before accident.
2011 I bought brand new sonata we with turbo: 308k and still driving it. Giving it to my daughter instead of trading it.
Take care of them and they will last.
Note* the sonata engine was recalled around 160k. But they covered the cost even though I was over warranty.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not good, AC on full blast all the time, ventilated seats at max
In the city I get like 15 mpg
On the highway from Houston to Austin, average speed 85mph I get 22 mpg (and that's on ethanol free 92 octane gas)

I think mpg will improve after 3k miles
Does the A/C with ventilated seats feel as good as I dream it will on these hot summer days?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts