Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Blue Stone Limited
102 Posts
Looked in manual, went through nav, and even last resort asking salesman. Sorry no compass. Don't really like aftermarket or changing mirrors
If you have a Limited with the 10.25 screen, when the screen is split the 1/3 right side can be scrolled up and down, you will find compass on one screen and also find weather forecast on another. On the navigation screen and I believe on map screen when 2/3 of information screen small compass on upper left corner. I don’t know if it is the same on the 8 inch screens

·
Registered
23' AWD Atlas White SEL w / Activity Pack & Hitch
41 Posts
I just can't believe with this machine and all the technology that there is no compass!
Have had a compass in every vehicle I have bought since the 70s PITIFUL
It would help answering your question if we knew which model SC you own. From the Home Page, click on your avatar. In your case, this is the letter "I" in the dark grey banner at top of the page. This should open ACCOUNT DETAILS. In the middle of that page is a sub-title section listed as VEHICLE DETAILS. As an example, I entered mine as 23' AWD Atlas White SEL w/activity pack. With everyone knowing what year, model and package SC you have - makes it so much easier to reply with useful info. The Canadian guys & gals - they only have 1 model sold there - the Ultimate model which is similar to the Limited (but I think has a few more bells & whistles)!

Reactions: SmoovC

·
Registered
23' AWD Atlas White SEL w / Activity Pack & Hitch
41 Posts
No problem. I have had mine less than a month, 10/25/22. Lots of information to be gotten from owners here. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looked in manual, went through nav, and even last resort asking salesman. Sorry no compass. Don't really like aftermarket or changing mirrors
There is a compass, my fellow Santa Cruz Brocephus. It's located in the cluster choices you have for in-between your speed and RPMs. You can switch it up with the button on your steering wheel that looks like a piece of paper with writing on it. On each choice, you can then press the up and down arrows (also located on your steering wheel) to cycle through more options. The compass is on one of them, although I can't remember which one at the moment. Just go through each of your options and you'll find it. :)

·
Administrator
431 Posts
Only manual compasses are pure magnetic…too much interference in most things to be magnetic. Even a phone uses GPS compass.
Smartphones and smartwatches have magnetometers as do rearview mirrors that have a built-in compass display.

I ask because Hondas, for example, with factory navigation have a compass display, but it relies on movement of the vehicle to measure and display direction of travel using information from the GPS. If you place one of those vehicles on a turntable and rotate it in place, the compass display will not update. Older Hondas with compass displays in the rearview mirror or instrument cluster, but without navigation had magnetic compasses in the form of magnetometers that would measure and display magnetic north. If you rotate one of those models, the compass display will update.

·
Registered
Sage Gray Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
212 Posts
Smartphones and smartwatches have magnetometers as do rearview mirrors that have a built-in compass display.

I ask because Hondas, for example, with factory navigation have a compass display, but it relies on movement of the vehicle to measure and display direction of travel using information from the GPS. If you place one of those vehicles on a turntable and rotate it in place, the compass display will not update. Older Hondas with compass displays in the rearview mirror or instrument cluster, but without navigation had magnetic compasses in the form of magnetometers that would measure and display magnetic north. If you rotate one of those models, the compass display will update.
Fair enough but a magnetometer is an electrically induced magnetic field and not a true rare earth ferrous based compass (like a manual hiking compass). A ferrous based based compass will always attempt to turn towards magnetic North unless you spin it too fast. A magnetometer as it’s a powered device can measure North and if there is an offset electronically. This could be done in circuit or validated with GPS depending on manufacturer and use case.
Most phones these days you can do both. Leverage GPS or sit on a swivel chair and the phone will display the direction you’re facing.
So it will vary on manufacturer and how they decided to implement, it would make more sense to only have one magnetometer per vehicle for cost and consistency and how it works would be a code and again cost choice. Chip coding is expensive.

·
Registered
2023 SEL AWD Sage Gray with Activity package
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have scrolled through all the menus I could find. Don't think my $35,000 SEL has such a simple thing as a compass. Would have traded the lane assist and a lot of the other stuff I will never use for it!!!

·
Registered
Sage Gray Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
212 Posts
This thread inspired me to try the built-in dash compass. Yuck. 16 point compass, a bit slow to respond to directional change.

I didn’t try the center console compass, but that’s because wireless Apple Car Play through AutoSky is always enabled and that does a great job of which way I’m facing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts