Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
492 Posts
Follow the sun my friend 😜
I spent my work life as a Lutheran pastor. One day there was a funeral at our church in the late morning. A woman was arriving early and phoned me for directions. She had exited the Interstate and was feeling more and more lost. The street at the exit ran north and south. I asked her if she was headed south. She asked how she would know that. I said, “Is the sun coming into your driver’s side window or your passenger side window?” Then she sounded a little disgusted with herself that she did not think of that.

· Registered
492 Posts
I believe if you don’t have factory Nav you do not have a compass. In 2022 only the top trim had factory nav. I’m not sure on the 23’s…
I have a 2022 SEL. Its Infotainment screen is the smaller type. The maps it displays from my phone always place north at the top of the display. That gives a general indication of compass heading, even if not shown down to degrees and seconds. And, I just discovered I can turn on a compass display within Maps in Settings on my iPhone X.

· Registered
492 Posts
I just can't believe with this machine and all the technology that there is no compass!
Have had a compass in every vehicle I have bought since the 70s PITIFUL
In case you do not see my response to another who posted, my 2022 SEL uses maps from my phone. Those always place north at the top of the display. My vehicle is displayed on the screen as an arrowhead to show direction of travel. While it does not give degrees and seconds, it does indicate a general compass heading. And, I just discovered the Settings on my iPhone X give the option of a compass within Maps when navigating to a destination. See the attached photo. There is no need for Hyundai to duplicate what is already on your smart phone and available for display on your Infotainment screen. (With the Compass turned on and navigating, north is not always at the top of the screen.)

The more I use my Santa Cruz, the more it appears to be an extension of my iPhone. If you cannot find a feature on the Santa Cruz, check to see if it is on your smart phone and will play through the Infotainment Center as an extension of your phone. (I have almost 12,000 miles on my Santa Cruz and I am still learning about it.)
Product Font Circle Electric blue Table

· Registered
2023 SEL AWD Sage Gray with Activity package
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To Phil 75 Thank you for your input. Found that my Iphone maps did not have the compass turned on. This is first vehicle that did not have factory nav so never needed it. Not 100% as good because you have to have a destination set - but a whole lot better than an aftermarket. Still a little disappointed that vehicle lacks this feature as factory but I can live with this. Thank you again!!

· Registered
492 Posts
It is helpful that the top of the map display indicates north when not navigating. So much dependence on a smart phone is a definite paradigm shift in thinking. But, the phone based navigation quit on me a couple of times when I was about to need it a lot. I always carry a GPS, just in case. (See my next post below. A direction indicator does show on the display, despite what prompts on the phone say.)

· Registered
492 Posts
To Phil 75 Thank you for your input. Found that my Iphone maps did not have the compass turned on. This is first vehicle that did not have factory nav so never needed it. Not 100% as good because you have to have a destination set - but a whole lot better than an aftermarket. Still a little disappointed that vehicle lacks this feature as factory but I can live with this. Thank you again!!
By this time, you have probably already discovered what I am posting here. With the Compass feature turned “on” in Safari within Settings on my iPhone X I get a general heading indicator in the upper right corner of the display when no destination is set in the navigation. It does not show exact degrees, but eight classifications: N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, and NW. The map is zoomed out a little to show a broader area, and the map rotates with changes of direction so that north is not always at the top, but the direction I am driving at the moment is shown. (2022 SEL, smaller of the two screens, no onboard navigation, phone connects wirelessly.)
Plant Gadget Audio equipment Font Technology

· Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
572 Posts
Don’t know much about the US spec but, does your rear view mirror have the direction on it?
My Limited does not display the compass direction on the mirror. That's kind of disappointing as my wife's 2017 Tucson Limited does.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts