Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I recently wrote about the possibility of an off-road Santa Cruz, inspired by the Hyundai Tucson that is heading to SEMA. One of the main barriers that I mentioned was the absence of a viable AWD system.
Today I saw this video that features the new AWD for the Genesis. Could this be exactly the thing that was missing?

They installed several strips of LEDs on all four wheels, a bit like what people do to their bicycles. This helps us better visualize how each corner of the Genesis behaves.

They then put the car to the test on a skid track. When the vehicle senses one axle loses traction, power is sent to the other one.
The HTRAC all-wheel drive system was developed as a multi-mode system, providing an electronic, variable-torque-split clutch with active torque control between the front and rear axles.
The Genesis is by no means an off-road vehicle, but neither is the Santa Cruz really. Maybe this AWD system is just the thing that the Santa Cruz needs for an off-road version. Think of it more as a styling package with some extra features. It would look more rugged, and have AWD, maybe be raised a bit. Still, it won't be the height of off-road driving. Great for urban people who want that look and some extra capabilities.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wish they will come out with an AWD version for the Santa Cruz. Helps when you're trying to drive through the winter snow.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wish they will come out with an AWD version for the Santa Cruz. Helps when you're trying to drive through the winter snow.
Actually it has been proven that winter tires are more effective with winter driving than just AWD. All AWD helps with is getting out of deep snow, and it surely won't help with braking which is one of the biggest issues with winter driving, tires help you with that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I always have a set of winter tires but every year without fail I get stuck at least once after a big snowstorm. AWD would have helped when I was stuck halfway out of my driveway. Barely made it back onto the driveway after I got stuck. :crying:

·
Registered
729 Posts
That sucks. There are indeed those times where you need AWD. I try to compensate by moving the vehicle back and forth helping to pack the snow down so there's somewhat of a surface to drive on and to launch the vehicle into what ever direction i can.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that if they have the capability then they will do it because there would definitely be demand for a AWD Santa Cruz. I mean if people are buying a AWD Genesis, they would buy an AWD Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Didn't they say at the unveiling in Detroit that there would be an equipped AWD system? Seems like kind of a necessary option in a truck, especially for those of us up here in the snow belt :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
This AWD system is Hyundai's HTRAC AWD system. This system is able to vary the power distribution between the front and rear axles. In the Genesis it can send as much as 90% of the power to the rear for a sportier driving experience. To control traction at individual wheels it uses the brakes to divert power away from slipping wheels.

Its a given that the SC will have AWD since it is CUV based. We'll have to see if it gets a basic AWD system or the HTRAC system. The basic system will only split the power 50/50 front to rear. The system in the current Tucson at least has an AWD lock feature which gives the driver the option to keep AWD locked. It will still have open differentials with brake controlled power distribution. Not the best for offroading where a locking differential would be much preferred, but for light offroading I'm sure it would be sufficient.

With HTRAC the SC would benefit most in loose or slippery terrain where one of the front axles has better traction than the other. The AWD system would then be able to direct up to 90% power to the specific wheel with the most traction instead of each axle always having only 50% available power to work with.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If they're anything like other car makers that want just enough to keep the vehicle exciting and not to put all their eggs in the basket, then we'll see a basic AWD system.

But another thing to consider is the competition and how that system will stack up to them and with that being said we might eventually see what we believe to be an AWD soul testing with AWD vehicles from the competition.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea the Santa Cruz might just get regular AWD. The Genesis is their big name vehicle that displays all their newest technology. The Santa Cruz is going to be a more mainstream product. Still, it is a truck and therefore would be more deserving of a full on AWD setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts