Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sat we're hitting a couple of dealerships and test driving two differant models. I would like to know what's everyone height and is the seat really that comfortable. Plus I need to know if any of you are having an issue with the dead peddle/foot rest? I always end up having to remove this and if we take delivery of a 2022 Cruz, I'll have to have the dealership remove the dead peddle for me.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
I wouldn't test drive in any other mode than Normal/Eco Mine was in Smart mode and if you get on it a little to check power it acts like it's in Sport mode and it rev's higher..Harder shifts etc.., My wife asked "Whats that?" when it kept revving at higher points..
I guess I should say....Test it in the mode your going to drive in all the time :) "Diversity" label applied"

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm 6', and I don't have any issues with the comfort/fit of the driver's seat, head room, or leg room. I sit far back, so the rear passenger room is sacrificed for sure. The dead pedal doesn't bother me at all. My Toyota 4Runner had a more comfortable seat overall; I would describe the Santa Cruz seat as firm like was in my Porsche Macan (and not uncomfortable...just firm). I do not like that the lumbar support does not go up and down, but, for me, that is a feature I rarely use. My legs are long, and several of my last cars have had extendable seat bolsters for more support. The Santa Cruz does not have this, but I do not find that I'm missing that feature, either.

The height of the seat surprised me at first -- I initially preferred the seat high, but the rear view mirror would not adjust that high (probably harkening back to the 4Runner with a very high seating position). I did not have any trouble adjusting to a slightly lower seating position, though, in the end.

Hope this helps a tad - all boils down to personal preference for sure! Good luck on your test drives!

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
144 Posts
I have to disagree with CASD. I was driving around in Normal and Sport modes when I read about Smart mode on here. Smart mode adapts to your driving and I found it to provide the best performance by far IMO. Snappy throttle response but without hanging in gears/revving like sometimes happens Sport mode, but no lag in throttle response like in Normal mode. I didn't buy a 280+ hp ride to putt around in.

I am 6' and have never had a problem with a dead pedal, but maybe it is something of an affectation after years of driving a manual transmission. It is just faster and more comfortable to have your foot closer to the clutch. The rear seat is reasonably comfortable, but they shortened up the leg room compared to the Tuscon and it can still be a bit awkward to get in and out of. We drove an SEL first before the turbos hit the market just to see if we liked it and in particular could get in and out of it. My Wife has to ride in the back when my Mom is in the car as she gets car sick easily in back.

Enjoy your test ride.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
I have to disagree with CASD. I was driving around in Normal and Sport modes when I read about Smart mode on here. Smart mode adapts to your driving and I found it to provide the best performance by far IMO. Snappy throttle response but without hanging in gears/revving like sometimes happens Sport mode, but no lag in throttle response like in Normal mode. I didn't buy a 280+ hp ride to putt around in.

I am 6' and have never had a problem with a dead pedal, but maybe it is something of an affectation after years of driving a manual transmission. It is just faster and more comfortable to have your foot closer to the clutch. The rear seat is reasonably comfortable, but they shortened up the leg room compared to the Tuscon and it can still be a bit awkward to get in and out of. We drove an SEL first before the turbos hit the market just to see if we liked it and in particular could get in and out of it. My Wife has to ride in the back when my Mom is in the car as she gets car sick easily in back.

Enjoy your test ride.
Yea thats why I put in the disclaimer :).... Some people want sport mode and some don't. I don't like how it acts in sport mode revving the engine way up, If I wanted a sport car I would've bought one or the turbo model :).

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Someone posted that their knee hits the edge of the center console so make sure to check that out. The steering wheel telescopes and tilts so moving it might help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope this helps a tad - all boils down to personal preference for sure! Good luck on your test drives!
Good follow up report. My issue is that if the dead peddle is too close is can make my left knee lock up. As for the rearview mirror, have you tried this old trick of flipping the mirror upside down or do is not rotate in that fashion?

To the rest of you good comments and things for us to keep an eye for. We may not even get a chance to actually drive the SC we're mainly going just to see if I can fit into one. As compared to the Baja, I could never get into these small car or trucks. If I can manage to do so, this would be a first for me being 6' 2''. Roman has admitted he's 6' 2'' in his video review of the SC and seems not to have any issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try setting your gage panel to switch white to red when smart mode commands changing to sport mode. You can see when it thinks you need it. Most people will be very surprised that it never, or how rarely if ever, gets put it in sport mode.
Not saying anything about how differently sport mode operates, but I think smart behaves differently (more conservatively) than the manual leads us to believe.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good follow up report. My issue is that if the dead peddle is too close is can make my left knee lock up. As for the rearview mirror, have you tried this old trick of flipping the mirror upside down or do is not rotate in that fashion?

To the rest of you good comments and things for us to keep an eye for. We may not even get a chance to actually drive the SC we're mainly going just to see if I can fit into one. As compared to the Baja, I could never get into these small car or trucks. If I can manage to do so, this would be a first for me being 6' 2''. Roman has admitted he's 6' 2'' in his video review of the SC and seems not to have any issues.
Haven’t tried flipping the mirror, but I don’t think it would. The Homelink buttons are on the bottom side, probably complicates things a bit.

I don’t think you’ll be super crowded in the SC, but definitely want to hear your impression!

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Santa Cruz is probably the easiest and most comfortable vehicle I have driven. An exception to that statement might be a very nice Chrysler 300 we rented a few years ago. We were on a road trip early last weekend. My right foot was getting tired of working the gas pedal. I switched to cruise control and all was good. I am 75 years old and about 5’ 11”.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
An exception to that statement might be a very nice Chrysler 300 we rented a few years ago.
Same here, I rented one and it was a great car - pretty much the last traditional full size, rear drive, American sedan made. It shares many parts with the Benz E and S class.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Follow up:

There are several factors which could limit my ability to enter and sit in the SC. Mainly the seat adjustment. Our current car (which will remain nameless) the seats are terrible as I've had to add padding just to make up for that over- accentuated Bucket seat feel. There there is the door opening. Most cars we've tried to sit in or even get into the door opening would not allow me to enter in a comfortable position. I couldn't enter several "nice" cars simply because the door openings are designed for smaller people.

Then suppose I'm able to get into the SC I'm hoping my back doesn't go out and that the seat is more forgiving and more adjustable. We've test drove the Chevy Colorado & Ford Ranger and hated both of them. In fact the chevy dealer allowed us to barrow the Colorado for 10 hours and for a10 hours I couldn't adjust or sit in either the drivers or passengers seat.

I'm left having to drive 90% of the time and I'm not complaining. But if some thing was to happen. I would have to sit in the back of the car, because one can not adjust the passenger seat and that for sure would throw the ole back out. Lastly, My knees are going back and I may need surgery. One leg has a hard time bending than the others which is my left knee/leg this is why I asked about the dead peddle.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sat we're hitting a couple of dealerships and test driving two differant models. I would like to know what's everyone height and is the seat really that comfortable. Plus I need to know if any of you are having an issue with the dead peddle/foot rest? I always end up having to remove this and if we take delivery of a 2022 Cruz, I'll have to have the dealership remove the dead peddle for me.
6'2" and a "plus size gentleman" and I am very comfortable in the driver's seat. I don't have the seat all the way back or all the way lowered and have plenty of leg room and head room too.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
I'm 6'2"+ with a long upper body. No comfort issues in my ~2750 miles so far. Telescopic is all the way out (a little more would be nice, but not an issue). Seat is not all the way lowered. I've moved it up some recently and like that position better. My knee rests below the corner of the flat screen center console, but does rest on the left side of the phone pocket area. A rounded cutout there would be nice, but again not a major issue. I might try padding that hard edge though. Seats on my SEL (8-way with lumbar) were surprisingly comfortable on my 1800 mile trip home from the out of state dealer. All in all one of the most comfortable cars I've owned and extremely quiet inside. Everything in the comfortable category is much better than my 2012 Mini Cooper I sized "UP" from: ride, seats, visibility, ergonomics and interior quietness.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
244 Posts
I'm 5'9", and have no issues with seating position or comfort.

I do wish the seats had better side bolsters, like our Veloster has, but that's a minor complaint.

And the dead pedal doesn't bother me at all. It's in the perfect spot for me.

Although you haven't said, I get the impression that you're taller (over 6'). Letting us know that would be helpful, as opinions from someone not as tall won't apply, if you are taller.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very well 6' 2'' same as Roman and a few others here, but I have something similar to hip dysplasia. So even if I sneeze I could throw my back out. Knock on wood, I've not had this issue in 6 years I've been carefully maintaining things. The knees are a differant story, they went our as of this year.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm 6'2"+ with a long upper body. No comfort issues in my ~2750 miles so far. Telescopic is all the way out (a little more would be nice, but not an issue). Seat is not all the way lowered. I've moved it up some recently and like that position better. My knee rests below the corner of the flat screen center console, but does rest on the left side of the phone pocket area. A rounded cutout there would be nice, but again not a major issue. I might try padding that hard edge though. Seats on my SEL (8-way with lumbar) were surprisingly comfortable on my 1800 mile trip home from the out of state dealer. All in all one of the most comfortable cars I've owned and extremely quiet inside. Everything in the comfortable category is much better than my 2012 Mini Cooper I sized "UP" from: ride, seats, visibility, ergonomics and interior quietness.
Agree that it would be nice if the steering wheel telescoped out more. A few more inches would be great (that's what she said🤣🤣🤣)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.