Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread it got me thinking... and I know we don't have pricing yet but using the Tucson as reference.....
The Maverick I ordered was an XLT Hybrid W/Luxury pkg. and Moon-roof $26915
A Tucson SEL with similar(Or more std Eq.) would be $27685 Now I would not get the sunroof but is it really needed? I like it but..
Maverick $26915.00 but add $3000-$4000 for a extended warranty that comes close to Hyundai's becomes $30000.00 to $31000.00 pretty quickly (Warranty $3000-$4000)
Cruz / Tucson $27685.00 only an est. based on the Tucson SEL (To get heated seats)
You go up to the SEL with the Convenience and Premium pkg for $31900 Or take away one to be a little less than the Maverick
So in the end it's about MPG and looks ...
The Ford is looking less and less a good deal unless you don't care about a warranty
Just my two cents
Hopefully No Hyundai dealerships see this as I just gave them a comparison tool :)

Reactions: nojovo

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
IMHO comparing the Maverick to the Tucson pricing is apples and oranges, just like comparing the Maverick to the Escape pricing (check that out, not even close).

Adding $3K=$4K for the Hyundai warranty is just plain silly!

If the Santa Cruz comes in where the majority of speculation has put it, then it will be similar to the Tucson, if not less if you take into account the Maverick sub-$20K starting point.

As always, your mileage may vary IMHO. :cool:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO comparing the Maverick to the Tucson pricing is apples and oranges, just like comparing the Maverick to the Escape pricing (check that out, not even close).

Adding $3K=$4K for the Hyundai warranty is just plain silly!

If the Santa Cruz comes in where the majority of speculation has put it, then it will be similar to the Tucson, if not less if you take into account the Maverick sub-$20K starting point.

As always, your mileage may vary IMHO. :cool:
I'm not sure I get the maverick warranty is silly,
I was trying to match the best I could the info supplied the two vehicles, has nothing to do with whether you buy the warranty.
I was trying to match apples and apples
And been assumed that the Cruz will come in close to the Tucson pricing so I based this comparison on that.
I also looked up the Ford warranty cost for all 3-4 plans they offered

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I based this on the Maverick I ordered

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Look into manufacturers required Hybrid warranties for this somewhat new green tech. I think someone here mentioned there are required warranties on Hybrids that might be similar, but not the same as, emissions warranties. Don't know for sure???

Unfortunately we simply have to wait for Hyundai to price and then let the cards fall where they lie...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been having a hard time trying to get anything done here at my house. It's been overcast and rainy for the past week or so! So I went on-line tonight earlier to try to build and price a Santa Cruz. I paid for reservation two days ago. Momentarialy, after I clicked on vehicles, @ Hyundai USA, and scrolled down and came upon the Santa Cruz.... I saw a price of 27,000 dollars even. For the Santa Cruz. When I tried to click on it, it disapeared. Then I had to back all the way back out of the Hyundai website and come back in. When I did I couldn't even find the Santa Cruz! I backed out again. Shut off my PC and came back to Hyundai's website. Everything was there...but one Santa Cruz pricing, still not there. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Really.! Has that happened to anyone else? So if that frak thing happened, I think the Base Santa Cruz will be around 28,000 with destination. I guess... this is just so weird....Like I said If I can get AWD drive turbo for 30k or a little over I'm happy. Just that was the weirdest thing. What ever. STONE BLUE thou! lol( Listening to Bob Lund Elusive Butterfly of love) on my second Grolsch. Been thinkin of my girl, sorry folks. Darci my avatar, was my dog. Had to put her down last month, she was my shadow. One in a million dog. Loved everybody, she was blind....so she was constantly by me. I hope everyone here has a pet like her so you can know the how much animals can love you back. Also... dogs sense of smell..... I would try to play hide and seek and Darci would find me....(in my house) I never let her out of sight in the yard. She would walk the fence line. Sorry for rambling Just an old man here. Be kind, and there is NEVER a stupid question from anyone. I can't wait for my Stone Blue AWD drive Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been having a hard time trying to get anything done here at my house. It's been overcast and rainy for the past week or so! So I went on-line tonight earlier to try to build and price a Santa Cruz. I paid for reservation two days ago. Momentarialy, after I clicked on vehicles, @ Hyundai USA, and scrolled down and came upon the Santa Cruz.... I saw a price of 27,000 dollars even. For the Santa Cruz. When I tried to click on it, it disapeared. Then I had to back all the way back out of the Hyundai website and come back in. When I did I couldn't even find the Santa Cruz! I backed out again. Shut off my PC and came back to Hyundai's website. Everything was there...but one Santa Cruz pricing, still not there. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Really.! Has that happened to anyone else? So if that frak thing happened, I think the Base Santa Cruz will be around 28,000 with destination. I guess... this is just so weird....Like I said If I can get AWD drive turbo for 30k or a little over I'm happy. Just that was the weirdest thing. What ever. STONE BLUE thou! lol( Listening to Bob Lund Elusive Butterfly of love) on my second Grolsch. Been thinkin of my girl, sorry folks. Darci my avatar, was my dog. Had to put her down last month, she was my shadow. One in a million dog. Loved everybody, she was blind....so she was constantly by me. I hope everyone here has a pet like her so you can know the how much animals can love you back. Also... dogs sense of smell..... I would try to play hide and seek and Darci would find me....(in my house) I never let her out of sight in the yard. She would walk the fence line. Sorry for rambling Just an old man here. Be kind, and there is NEVER a stupid question from anyone. I can't wait for my Stone Blue AWD drive Santa Cruz.
That's interesting that you saw a price on the site. Are you sure you didn't mistakenly see the Santa Fe's price? It's directly under the Santa Cruz and it's $27,000. In any event, I hope the base SC is under $27,000, because that might put a modestly spec'd AWD well over $30K. If they did goof up and put the price out briefly, that would support my suspicion that the holdup at Hyundai right now is because they're still testing/tweaking the configurator on their website. That's pure speculation on my part, but it seems like they'd want to have that build site working perfectly before they announced all the pricing. If anyone else has worked in software development and testing, you know it be a pain to get all working right and then test it under every situation to work out the bugs. Again, total speculation on my part, but it's what I've suspected might be taking them so long to announce pricing.

And I'm really sorry to hear about Darci. She looks like a sweet girl. Toy poodle or bichon I'm assuming from the picture. My wife and I have had several pekeingese, and it takes me months to recover after one passes. I just get so attached to them, as you were with Darci. Two things that help me cope...first put every picture you have of her on a digital picture frame and put it in your living room or somewhere you will see her pictures as they cycle through. That just helps me stay connected with them in some minor way, and after a while I start looking at the pictures and remember the good times rather than the loss. Second, get around other dogs. For us that has meant volunteering at an animal shelter to walk dogs--I always see this as a way to "pay forward" the life of my passed pup, and psychologically it's comforting to think she lives on in some way. Sorry...I know this isn't the point of this forum, but since you brought it up I thought I'd at least share those things.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In regard to the Ford Maverick, brand new powertrain and built in Mexico. What could go wrong with such a great plan??????? For me it will be a Santa Cruz built in the USA. Also the powertrain has been used for several years. As for the fuel mileage, if that was a major concern I would be looking at a different type of vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In regard to the Ford Maverick, brand new powertrain and built in Mexico. What could go wrong with such a great plan??????? For me it will be a Santa Cruz built in the USA. Also the powertrain has been used for several years. As for the fuel mileage, if that was a major concern I would be looking at a different type of vehicle.
Welcome to the forum @Jim 99 Are you looking at any other vehicles? Or are you set on the Santa Cruz?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Jim 99 Are you looking at any other vehicles? Or are you set on the Santa Cruz?
I'm driving a 15 year old 2006 Subaru Baja with 185k on it. I would have bought a new vehicle years ago if someone would have produced one like the Baja. The Baja suits my needs very well. I do not need or want a big assed truck that takes five city blocks to turn around and I don't haul 20 sheets of plywood. Just want a comfortable car like vehicle that can haul a few hundred pounds and tow 1,500 lbs. Plus sometimes I haul stuff I don't want inside a vehicle. It's either a new top of the line Santa Cruz, or I keep driving the old Baja. Also the Maverick looks like a truck, no style at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be careful Jim.

Your critical thinking could get you in trouble. LOL........

·
Registered
119 Posts
Be careful Jim.

Your critical thinking could get you in trouble. LOL........
Spent many years working for a diesel engine manufacture. Of the North American division with one facility south of the border, guess where the majority of the monthly quality defects came from (and the number was off the charts as compared to the facilities north of the border).
Family member worked for a plastic injection business that had a facility south of the border. He would spend months each year there trying to resolve quality issues. That facility has since been closed.
Friend worked in home deco field, she was in charge of paint color quality of products. She was south of the border so often and for so long her company tried to get her to move there, as is would have been cost effective for them.
So, for me, I do not want a vehicle built in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Also the Maverick looks like a truck, no style at all.
(y) if I wanted another "truck" I'd just get a Ranger. In fact I was looking at used ones but the bed height was nearly the same as a full size :cautious:

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
I wonder if Hyundai will be forced to remove any important features or trim levels of the Santa Cruz because of the chip shortage, like other manufacturers are doing. Navigation systems are being deleted as are other chip dependent systems.

"In at least one case, carmakers are asking a major chipmaker to send microcontrollers that don’t meet standard specifications, a person familiar with the matter said. Those sub-standard chips wouldn’t jeopardize safety essentials, like brakes, the person said, but they could mean in-car entertainment or emissions monitoring systems are more likely to malfunction in extreme weather."

·
Registered
740 Posts
The 2.0T in the Ford has been out way longer than the 2.5T in the Hyundai, and isn't new, debut in 2015 IIRC. The 2.5 hybrid has been out since 2020 in the Ford Escape, just as new as the 2.5 and 2.5T Hyundai powertrains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On another thread it got me thinking... and I know we don't have pricing yet but using the Tucson as reference.....
The Maverick I ordered was an XLT Hybrid W/Luxury pkg. and Moon-roof $26915
A Tucson SEL with similar(Or more std Eq.) would be $27685 Now I would not get the sunroof but is it really needed? I like it but..
Maverick $26915.00 but add $3000-$4000 for a extended warranty that comes close to Hyundai's becomes $30000.00 to $31000.00 pretty quickly (Warranty $3000-$4000)
Cruz / Tucson $27685.00 only an est. based on the Tucson SEL (To get heated seats)
You go up to the SEL with the Convenience and Premium pkg for $31900 Or take away one to be a little less than the Maverick
So in the end it's about MPG and looks ...
The Ford is looking less and less a good deal unless you don't care about a warranty
Just my two cents
Hopefully No Hyundai dealerships see this as I just gave them a comparison tool :)
I just ordered my Santa Cruz from the dealer I work for. That Maverick is ugly!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whats going to be hard is if both the trucks I want come in at the same basic cost $27,000 Making a decision between the two will be hard... I like both exteriors... one is a Truck and one is a SUV (looks) ...But the interior is where the Cruz takes the lead....and then you get to warranty..etc.., and MPG. I just saw a 2022 Tucson SE AWD for $27400 I ordered a Cruz SEL FWD so maybe it will come in at $27000 or less delivered? This will be tough and honestly the first on the Lot and I like it...It will be up to the dealer to make it happen, giving me what I want on my trade in etc..,

·
Registered
740 Posts
Whats going to be hard is if both the trucks I want come in at the same basic cost $27,000 Making a decision between the two will be hard... I like both exteriors... one is a Truck and one is a SUV (looks) ...But the interior is where the Cruz takes the lead....and then you get to warranty..etc.., and MPG. I just saw a 2022 Tucson SE AWD for $27400 I ordered a Cruz SEL FWD so maybe it will come in at $27000 or less delivered? This will be tough and honestly the first on the Lot and I like it...It will be up to the dealer to make it happen, giving me what I want on my trade in etc..,
Decision between the 180hp hybrid Maverick and 180hp 2.5 Cruz should be easy, the hybrid is sooo much better. Only reason to get a Cruz would be for the 2.5T IMO, and not sure that will be available in a $27K trim.

If Hyundai thought they had competitive pricing, they would have released it by now. I think they know its going to be quite a bit more expensive, but overall the SC is a bit more upmarket than the Maverick with its cheap plastics, incandescent taillights even on the Lariat, non-damped tailgate, etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts