Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks. Time has come for me.

My dealer called me yesterday and said my Hampton, Limited, Green Leather, as ordered had arrived!

I asked about availability on the hitch and 7pin (again), no straight answer other than aftermarket so I had cancel my order.

The car is being sent back to Hyundai Canada, not allotted to the dealer's inventory.

The salesman was great, the dealer was good, their parts manager was very understanding.

I might come back to it...but I HAD to walk. The purpose of my vehicle purchase is to tow my 3500lb travel trailer and 2500lb boat, right away.

If I cant do this with an originally equipped vehicle or with manufacturer warranteed dealer installed equipment off the lot, and in accordance to applicable local law, it is a non starter for me unfortunately.

I enjoyed my test drive. It is an impressive vehicle and ticked a LOT of boxes on my wish list.

Catch you on the flipside.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Ah, that sucks. But I get it. If it can't do what you need it to do when you need it to do it ... it's just not the right vehicle at the right time. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where in Canada are you? Maybe my dealer here in Edmonton can get a line on it....;-)

Well, a guy can try.... ;-)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly it. Timing.

And I get it. New vehicle, covid/chip shortage, swiftness to market etc... that not all parts and accessories can be available at launch.

Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part. But some of this is on Hyundai as well.

Who knows...my money still might be in my wallet by the time the hitch and 7pin can be delivered and I still end up with a Cruz.

But considering I asked the same dealer if they can accomodate a hitch and 7pin in a Pallisade, the answer was still, aftermarket. It doesnt give me much hope.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That sucks as who knows when you will have an opportunity to grab a SC again. Hopefully, the harness comes out soon and everyone will be able to have a plug-n-play option shortly. I have wired a few 7-pin harnesses and brake controllers so I wasn't too concerned in buying my SC. But I am going to wait a little while to see if the harness becomes available. As it really is the nicer option. Maybe if anyone at least shows how they installed a universal 7-pin harness it will ease people's minds on buying a SC for towing purposes. At least the hitch is shipping. That is definitely more costly and difficult to make one on your own. lol

Best of luck to you getting a SC in the near future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went ahead and purchased a limited Santa Cruz, I will add the 7pin connector and hitch when it becomes available. The hitch is supposedly available, but the connector isn't. Instructions state to install the connector first. So I will wait until both are available. No hurry for me.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
I'm less concerned with the 7 pin harness, since it's plug and play - and I've never actually needed one before anyway. It's a want for "just in case" more than anything. But I'm still mildly annoyed that the hitch isn't even available to the dealers in Canada yet. Or ANY accessories except apparently the block heater. At least we can get that! LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
How difficult can it be to supply the 7-pin plug when you know it is similar to other Hyundai models and may even be identical? Makes you wonder if they don't want owners towing anything over the non-electric brake threshold with factory installed equipment, because they can't blame any future issues on the aftermarket installation. 🤔

·
Registered
896 Posts
Makes you wonder if they don't want owners towing anything over the non-electric brake threshold with factory installed equipment, because they can't blame any future issues on the aftermarket installation. 🤔
The fender flares aren't available yet either... so maybe the SC can't actually drive off road :rolleyes: this whole 7 pin mess is much to do about nothing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The fender flares aren't available yet either... so maybe the SC can't actually drive off road :rolleyes: this whole 7 pin mess is much to do about nothing.
Well it can't do it without flinging mud all over your new ride without the mystery fender flares! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, Hyundai is doing everything right...

FAIL #666!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You sound defensive over Hyundai. Fender flair don't lend themselves to vehicle capabilities.

I understand accessories can be added over time. Towing over 1650lbs, per Hyundai, requires trailer brakes. My intended purpose of choosing a Cruz is to tow, now. Both of my toys exceed 1650lbs.

I'm not dunking on your precious Hyundai here. Its again, timing and perhaps a greater issue as dealers are frustrated without being able offer this equipment on Santa Fe and Pallisade.

Seems like a total bungling on this aspect of vehicle launches.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You sound defensive over Hyundai.

I'm not dunking on your precious Hyundai here.

Seems like a total bungling on this aspect of vehicle launches.
LOL... dude, that seems like a pretty good dunk! :p

So what do you have in mind then???? What is your solution for a first day towing vehicle, brand new, no break-in... just drive off the lot and tow with it? Can't be a Mavrick... they are not shipping...

·
Registered
896 Posts
What is your solution for a first day towing vehicle, brand new, no break-in... just drive off the lot and tow with it? Can't be a Mavrick... they are not shipping...
Exactly.

I agree they screwed up this launch and the part is not available YET... as in right now this minute. However Hyundai has shown the part, they have a part number so its a waiting game. Don't want to wait? Then be a rebel and go aftermarket or grab the Kia part. This does not render the vehicle useless for towing. The aftermarket has already solved this problem. Its THREE little wires not an engine swap.

If you chose not to buy a SC over this little thing then so be it. Good luck with your Maverick or Ridgeline or Tacoma or F150 or RAM or whatever else comes with a 7 pin connector to handle this challenging task of towing over 1,650lbs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Equipped to tow right away. Equipped.

So defensive. If they havent figured it out for the Palisade, it doesnt give me confidence on timing.

I'm leaning towards a Ridgeline that has hitch and 7 pin from the factory. As does the pathfinder if I decide SUV instead of trucklette.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly.

I agree they screwed up this launch and the part is not available YET... as in right now this minute. However Hyundai has shown the part, they have a part number so its a waiting game. Don't want to wait? Then be a rebel and go aftermarket or grab the Kia part. This does not render the vehicle useless for towing. The aftermarket has already solved this problem. Its THREE little wires not an engine swap.

If you chose not to buy a SC over this little thing then so be it. Good luck with your Maverick or Ridgeline or Tacoma or F150 or RAM or whatever else comes with a 7 pin connector to handle this challenging task of towing over 1,650lbs.
Somebody needs to talk to your mama. Be Nice! Thank God we live in America...not everybody HAS to think like you do.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you recall my post in the tow forum, I had a catastrophic incident with a brand new new Travel Trailer and a brand new Ascent that had a dealer installed, Subaru hitch and wiring.

First time hooking up, it melted the Ascent, total write off. If we didnt catch it early and hit it with two extinguishers, it would have destroyed the trailer and my house.

As of now, no party is taking responsibility and lawyers are involved.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts