Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I’ve got the curt 7 way trailer harness to install but I’d love to have a 4 pin always available without an adapter. Suggestions on the best way to go about this? Should I just splice into the 4 wires of the harness? Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium, Blue Stone
24 Posts
I'm getting the 7-pin harness installed also, and here's what I found to handle my 4-pin boat trailer: ($10 on Amazon) and there's others out there too at auto parts retailers.

Bumper Font Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The adapter is no problem - I've been using one on my Dakota for 20 years. Splicing the wires is actually more risky in the long term.

·
Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
301 Posts
rriddell116:
If I were you, I’d mount a 4 pin connector next to the 7 pin and then plug into whichever you wanted. And yes, just splice in to the wires back a little way from the connector. I would use solder and good wiring practices with waterproof heat shrink (marine grade) tubing both on the individual connections and on the overall bundle, and splice it up far enough under the vehicle that it is protected as well as possible from the elements and physical damage. I think even Harbor freight has marine grade heat shrink tubing also. I would not use crimp on splices at all..as they tend to be less reliable over time….hence the suggestion for solder and heat shrink. That’s my opinion.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium, Blue Stone
24 Posts
I’m trying to avoid the adapter. Thank you though
Understood... so since I am probably about to go down this road myself, is this something you would not recommend and could this be problematic? I haven't any experience with trailer adapters for this purpose. I see more expensive options out there also, maybe I should consider something more robust?

I'll be getting my Hyundai OEM hitch installed from the dealer in just two more weeks. Although I have plenty experience soldering (having grown up in the heyday of ham radio and built many kits and homebrew electronic projects), I'm a bit leery of tapping into the factory wiring harness underneath my brand new ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tow 4 wire trailers often, but I wanted the 7 wire for future flexibility. So I would prefer to have the 4 wire ALWAYS available. I think I have found a solution with my curt harness. I’ll share more info on Sunday after the ordered parts arrive

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited
14 Posts
I figured out my solution. The curt harness ends in a Uscar socket. I purchased the below and it works perfectly!

CURT 55774 Dual-Output Vehicle-Side 7-Pin, 4-Pin Connectors, Factory Tow Package and USCAR Socket Required https://a.co/d/aqUVKqX

Highly recommend the Curt 55774 in conjunction with the the Curt 56466 7 blade harness!!

I was about to create a new post about this Curt 55774 myself but, decided to search, again, first. You posted this after I decided to take a chance with this part. I had spoken with Curt support and they could/would not say if the 56466 terminated with a USCAR. It looked to me like the 7 blade adapter with the harness was the same as the standalone 7 blade Curt offers so I took a chance and bought it when I bought the harness. I had some actual hitch issues that required reinstalling the hitch so I just got around to testing dual connector today. It clearly passed the test. Much better solution than an adapter for something that will be long term connected as is my case. I keep a fourth brake light in the receiver when towing and it requires a 4 pin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts