Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I went with an SEL FWD and I'm fine..... I might go up to a AWD just because it's only $1500 more...WE'll see

·
Registered
315 Posts
issue for me is a fully loaded Santa Cruz approaches similar appointed Ridgeline for the same money.....Ridgeline has bigger bed, interior & trunk, Honda reliability & resale....
Yeah, if I wasn't in market for small truck and a small cost, I would be buying a Honda Ridgeline, because all that technology the Cruz has is just trouble down the road, when your looking for your last truck purchase your thinking about reliability more than how fast it is, your thinking of longevity more than bells and whistles, your just thinking 😁 and that is why I reserved an SEL fwd

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
issue for me is a fully loaded Santa Cruz approaches similar appointed Ridgeline for the same money.....Ridgeline has bigger bed, interior & trunk, Honda reliability & resale....
True. It's also BIGGER. A fair bit larger, and a lot "truckier" than the SC. Did I price shop a Ridgeline? Sure! Would be stupid not to. But there were downsides to the Honda too - larger, don't like the styling much, and it's less well-equipped at a higher price than a top spec Santa Cruz. At least in Canada. Similarly equipped here, the Ridgeline would be a solid $10k more. Why would I do that for a vehicle I'd be less happy with?

I've looked at the mid-size truck market, test driven most of them in the last week, even looked at some full-size trucks at about the same price point. They're all just too BIG! That's why I'm looking at the SC/Mav in the first place. They're smaller, like the OLD Rangers and original Colorado/Canyon. I want light truck utility with SUV comfort for commuting. If I wanted a TRUCK truck, I'd just get a full size and call it a day. I love the way the Ram 1500s ride and drive with the Hemi. Plenty comfy inside too. But they're far more capable than I'd ever make use of and cost a hefty bit of extra fuel for the privilege.

Anyone who wants a TRUCK shouldn't consider the SC OR the Maverick. They aren't intended to replace trucks for those who need a truck. They're trying to fill a gap for those who may occasionally need to borrow a friend's truck to haul something, but really just need an SUV most of the time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've looked at the mid-size truck market, test driven most of them in the last week, even looked at some full-size trucks at about the same price point. They're all just too BIG!
Same here. I was about to buy at Ranger at $33k but its too big. So I'm paying more for get something smaller. To me the smallness of the SC is a feature... and like any other feature (cruise control for example) you have to pay MORE to get it. Your not paying "by the pound" for a vehicle, so bigger is not necessarily better. Making something bigger does not automatic increases its value.

This may seem odd but many sports cars (Lotus & Porsche for example) you actually PAY to remove things to make them lighter. Crazy.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
This is what I'm seeing with regard to pricing, gauge cluster and center console for "AWD" equipped trim levels:

AWD SE 2.5L NA w/8spd Auto $25,490
Analog gauge cluster
8" center console with knobs

AWD SEL 2.5L NA w/8spd Auto $28,690 (Increase of $3,200)
Analog gauge cluster
(* Available 10.25" Digital Gauge Cluster)

AWD SEL Premium 2.5L Turbo w/8spd DCT Auto $35,680 (Increase of $7,170)
10.25: flat screen gauges
NOTE: Includes Activity Package

AWD
Limited 2.5L Turbo w/8spd DCT Auto $39,720 (Increase of $4,040)
10.25" flat screen gauges w/BVM
10.25" touch screen navigation center console
NOTE: Includes Activity Package

* Activity Package at $3,270
(10.25" Digital gauge cluster and a BUNCH of other stuff)

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Hope I have that right.

So the big jump from AWD SEL to AWD SEL Premium includes $3,270 Activity Package and $3,900 2.5L Turbo with DCT 8spd Auto.

FWIW I think they did a reasonable job on pricing. It gives you the ability to configure the vehicle close to what you may want by trim levels and you can always add individual items after the fact to personalize your choice.

Individual budgets are a personal matter that requires each person to run their own numbers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What does the SC's smaller size truly let you accomplish?
Slightly tighter turns?
Slightly easier to find parking spots?
Perhaps the slightest bit advantage in MPG's? (Not much, I tell you that)

What exactly are the concrete advantages of a smaller "truck" other than the "niche" factor?

I hate to say this, but a near fully-loaded Ranger Lariat with all the tech, 7,500 lbs towing capability, a larger bed, more space, a 6 foot cab (super relaxing for rear passengers) - can be had for $37,500.

I get it, smaller/lighter is better for a sports car - but for a truck or anything with a bed, what are the true real advantages that justify the cost?

The Ranger Lariat just....wins here, imho. The SC's $40k price tag for the top trim has me quite disappointed, but honestly, it's what I expected, unfortunately. You're not even getting great MPG's with all the "smallness" factored in. I would understand if it was a 30mpg vehicle, but it's not. That could have easily swayed people.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The real advantages are ... it's a truck for people who actually want to drive a car/SUV. It won't ride like a truck. It's not incredibly oversized like all trucks have become. It's no different than asking someone with a previous generation Ranger why on earth they would want that tiny truck when they could get an F-150. The answer is literally as simple as, "it's too big." It's nothing to do with wanting a sports car.

IE: I occasionally need a truck bed to haul small stuff - like a lawn mower or a bike. Ever try to stuff either of those in the back of an SUV? And when I'm NOT doing that - aka about 99% of the time - it's pretty much the SUV I'd otherwise be driving to/from work every day, grocery shopping, etc.

If you want a truck, buy a truck. Even Hyundai isn't trying to say this is a truck. FORD is trying to sell the Maverick as a truck. And it's less capable, even at top spec!

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Hyundai keeps telling people the Santa Cruz isn't meant to be a traditional truck, but for some reason there are people that want to compare it to traditional trucks. I just don't understand that at all. If you want a big square truck that tows more than 5,000 pounds, then go buy a big square truck.

Clearly the Santa Cruz isn't meant to be what some people want it to be. Why do they want it to be what it isn't?

LOOKS BABY! HANDLING BABY!! WOW FACTOR BABY!!! :cool: And plenty of power for those that want the Turbo/DCT factor at their pleasure with the push of the peddle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hyundai keeps telling people the Santa Cruz isn't meant to be a traditional truck, but for some reason there are people that want to compare it to traditional trucks. I just don't understand that at all. If you want a big square truck that tows more than 5,000 pounds, then go buy a big square truck.

Clearly the Santa Cruz isn't meant to be what some people want it to be. Why do they want it to be what it isn't?

LOOKS BABY! HANDLING BABY!! WOW FACTOR BABY!!! :cool: And plenty of power for those that want the Turbo/DCT factor at their pleasure with the push of the peddle.
"Why do people keep comparing this vehicle to a traditional truck!!??"

Because it's priced like one. So why the **** wouldn't they compare it to a traditional truck?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The real advantages are ... it's a truck for people who actually want to drive a car/SUV. It won't ride like a truck. It's not incredibly oversized like all trucks have become. It's no different than asking someone with a previous generation Ranger why on earth they would want that tiny truck when they could get an F-150. The answer is literally as simple as, "it's too big." It's nothing to do with wanting a sports car.

IE: I occasionally need a truck bed to haul small stuff - like a lawn mower or a bike. Ever try to stuff either of those in the back of an SUV? And when I'm NOT doing that - aka about 99% of the time - it's pretty much the SUV I'd otherwise be driving to/from work every day, grocery shopping, etc.

If you want a truck, buy a truck. Even Hyundai isn't trying to say this is a truck. FORD is trying to sell the Maverick as a truck. And it's less capable, even at top spec!
Odd logic, I guess. Considering, they get similar MPG's. Is the Ranger Lariat not capable of getting your groceries? Is the Ranger Lariat suddenly "too big" rofl - c'mon man.

But hey listen, you're talking to someone who really badly wanted the Hyundai. I'm a huge Hyundai fan, I own their 2022 Kona, and the 2020 Kona before that.

I'm just expressing my personal opinion on it. Your opinion is yours, as odd as I think it is, just like you think mine is. It's whatever.

But if you price two items in similar price points... people will ultimately compare "what they get for their money" - is that something you at least see?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Odd logic, I guess. Considering, they get similar MPG's. Is the Ranger Lariat not capable of getting your groceries? Is the Ranger Lariat suddenly "too big" rofl - c'mon man.
I'm just expressing my personal opinion on it. Your opinion is yours, as odd as I think it is, just like you think mine is. It's whatever.
But if you price two items in similar price points... people will ultimately compare "what they get for their money" - is that something you at least see?
A Ranger Lariat (or an XL for that matter) IS indeed too big. It's the size of my 97 full size GMC - only HIGHER. My wife is short and just can't get into a tall vehicle. And the Ranger/Canyon sizes are actually more awkward to get into for some people (me!) if they have running boards. The lift into the bed of a Ranger is about 5 inches HIGHER than my 97 Sierra. Yeah, TOO BIG!! The Santa Cruz will be like getting in and out of our old Journey, or our Equinox. And it will likely drive just like them too - only better, because that 2.5T has twice the oomph of our old 2.4L Journey and a third more than the Equinox.

And yes, it's opinion on both parts, so they're both right for each of us. And I agree that price shoppers will price shop, regardless of what they actually need or want. If you WANT bigger, the Santa Cruz is probably a bad decision for you. If you've been waiting LITERALLY YEARS for small truckish vehicles to make a comeback after the mid-size became what full size used to be ... the SC/Maverick are ticking a lot of boxes. If you're a price-only shopper, Ford is waiting for you. I love the look and size and features of the Cruz. I could certainly 'settle' for a Maverick if I had to. But do I want to spend over $40k (everything is more in Canada my specced out XLT was over $45k after taxes) for a vehicle that I'm going to spend the next decade with and think it's just "okay-ish"? Heck no! I'm going to spend the extra 10 grand to get the one that I've been itching to own since the first photos dropped and want even more after checking out the '22 Tucson in person to see how the interior is for me. It's a place I WANT to spend a couple of hours every day ... I can't say the same about the interior of the Ford. It's much more ... utilitarian and hard plastic. So that's what I'm getting for my money - the vehicle I want to look at every day and an interior/features that I want to spend hours with every day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A Ranger Lariat (or an XL for that matter) IS indeed too big. It's the size of my 97 full size GMC - only HIGHER. My wife is short and just can't get into a tall vehicle. And the Ranger/Canyon sizes are actually more awkward to get into for some people (me!) if they have running boards. The lift into the bed of a Ranger is about 5 inches HIGHER than my 97 Sierra. Yeah, TOO BIG!! The Santa Cruz will be like getting in and out of our old Journey, or our Equinox. And it will likely drive just like them too - only better, because that 2.5T has twice the oomph of our old 2.4L Journey and a third more than the Equinox.

And yes, it's opinion on both parts, so they're both right for each of us. And I agree that price shoppers will price shop, regardless of what they actually need or want. If you WANT bigger, the Santa Cruz is probably a bad decision for you. If you've been waiting LITERALLY YEARS for small truckish vehicles to make a comeback after the mid-size became what full size used to be ... the SC/Maverick are ticking a lot of boxes. If you're a price-only shopper, Ford is waiting for you. I love the look and size and features of the Cruz. I could certainly 'settle' for a Maverick if I had to. But do I want to spend over $40k (everything is more in Canada my specced out XLT was over $45k after taxes) for a vehicle that I'm going to spend the next decade with and think it's just "okay-ish"? Heck no! I'm going to spend the extra 10 grand to get the one that I've been itching to own since the first photos dropped and want even more after checking out the '22 Tucson in person to see how the interior is for me. It's a place I WANT to spend a couple of hours every day ... I can't say the same about the interior of the Ford. It's much more ... utilitarian and hard plastic. So that's what I'm getting for my money - the vehicle I want to look at every day and an interior/features that I want to spend hours with every day.
It's ultimately why I got the Kona - the styling of Hyundai both exterior and interior is hard to beat. It's to the point where I AM willing to pay more for the styling/tech/interior. Which is the only reason I am still considering an SC. I was just expressing my disappointment in the price points for the trims I'd actually want - with the lower than expected MPG's.

But hey, I'm with ya. I just wanna say though, people will always compare two things that are priced similarly. We owe it to ourselves to compare.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Agreed!

Although the MPG figures came in pretty close to what I was expecting. Secretly hoped it would hit 30, but I can live with 27. That's a solid 10 more than my old truck!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't want another traditional truck - I already have a Dakota, I've driven it for 20 years so I fully understand all the strengths and weakness associated with mid-sizers like the Ranger and Tacoma. The main downsides is lack of comfortable and getting terrible mileage, thus I am moving on. I am not looking for a sports car (I already have a Corvette) but I want something that is more sporty to drive - quicker and more nimble with lots of tech. The SC appears to be the answer, not the Ranger which is just another cookie cutter truck.

I want something smaller like a CUV that has some truck-like features, for example an open bed for hauling and decent towing capacity. I've never used the full (yet "small") 5 foot bed of my Dakota so 4 foot of bed space is fine for dirty or smelly items I don't want inside a vehicle.

The SC is priced like a CUV... just like Tuscon its based on. Another example is a Mazda CX-9 at $35k - but these traditional CUVs can't do any truck stuff at all. Does that make worthless and overpriced too? Ummm no. My father tows his boat with a Ford Escape these days, turns out you don't need a F250 4x4 to handle this task.

The SC is clearly not for everyone, its a niche product, but one that happens to be perfect for MY current needs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think Hyundai priced me out....:-( No SEL 2.5 Turbo AWD>>>>>>>ARGH!

But hey listen, you're talking to someone who really badly wanted the Hyundai. I'm a huge Hyundai fan, I own their 2022 Kona, and the 2020 Kona before that.

The Ranger is the ugliest truck on the market other than the current Silverado and maybe the colorado, sorry, not sorry.

You are right that the Ranger is a good price. All midsized trucks are too big for my garage, unfortunately. They are almost as big as my old Silverado 1500 '99. If I get anything other than a compact truck, I might as well just get a full-size and park it in the weather (and buy a less nice one).

When you only have one vehicle it is hard balancing all the things you need, while also not getting sh*t MPG, and not breaking the bank.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts