Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I mean, they're pretty much in line with the Tuscan, so it's not really a surprise. Probably $2k more than I expected. But, based on the anticipation, we'll all probably be paying MSRP if not more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What does the SC's smaller size truly let you accomplish?
Slightly tighter turns?
Slightly easier to find parking spots?
Perhaps the slightest bit advantage in MPG's? (Not much, I tell you that)

What exactly are the concrete advantages of a smaller "truck" other than the "niche" factor?

I hate to say this, but a near fully-loaded Ranger Lariat with all the tech, 7,500 lbs towing capability, a larger bed, more space, a 6 foot cab (super relaxing for rear passengers) - can be had for $37,500.

I get it, smaller/lighter is better for a sports car - but for a truck or anything with a bed, what are the true real advantages that justify the cost?

The Ranger Lariat just....wins here, imho. The SC's $40k price tag for the top trim has me quite disappointed, but honestly, it's what I expected, unfortunately. You're not even getting great MPG's with all the "smallness" factored in. I would understand if it was a 30mpg vehicle, but it's not. That could have easily swayed people.
Not sure how you come up with that - I show a Lariat Super Cab 4X4 adding the Technology Package & retractable tonneau cover to be closer to the SC in equipment is $44,575 with no factory incentives available.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What does the SC's smaller size truly let you accomplish?
Slightly tighter turns?
Slightly easier to find parking spots?
Perhaps the slightest bit advantage in MPG's? (Not much, I tell you that)

What exactly are the concrete advantages of a smaller "truck" other than the "niche" factor?

I hate to say this, but a near fully-loaded Ranger Lariat with all the tech, 7,500 lbs towing capability, a larger bed, more space, a 6 foot cab (super relaxing for rear passengers) - can be had for $37,500.

I get it, smaller/lighter is better for a sports car - but for a truck or anything with a bed, what are the true real advantages that justify the cost?

The Ranger Lariat just....wins here, imho. The SC's $40k price tag for the top trim has me quite disappointed, but honestly, it's what I expected, unfortunately. You're not even getting great MPG's with all the "smallness" factored in. I would understand if it was a 30mpg vehicle, but it's not. That could have easily swayed people.
Here's the real reason. I do not need or want a huge truck. You do, so buy a monster truck.
I'm replacing a 15 year old Baja that does everything that I need a "truck" for. You buy what you want and I will buy what I want, but I will not try to convince you to buy what I like, because it may not fill your needs.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
I still think the Baja was one of THE most underrated vehicles of all time. Obviously, I'm in the minority. I still smile any time I see one still out on the street. Last time I saw one was a few years ago in Baltimore. It was the bright yellow too, my personal favourite on that vehicle. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I still think the Baja was one of THE most underrated vehicles of all time. Obviously, I'm in the minority. I still smile any time I see one still out on the street. Last time I saw one was a few years ago in Baltimore. It was the bright yellow too, my personal favourite on that vehicle. :)
Have had this one since April 2006.
Great little "truck". 185K, two timing belts and one clutch, alternator, a/c compressor and routine maintenance.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
The one problem I see with the SC is if you don't like it and want to trade it in, you will be taking a bath. Hyundai's have improved significantly over the years, but their depreciation is scary. Probably because you can always get 10-12% off MSRP from the get go. Not in this environment, but in a normal market.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The one problem I see with the SC is if you don't like it and want to trade it in, you will be taking a bath. Hyundai's have improved significantly over the years, but their depreciation is scary. Probably because you can always get 10-12% off MSRP from the get go. Not in this environment, but in a normal market.
Thats my big concern, at least until the 5 year mark. It seems to take a faster nosedive than others, but level out earlier.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I mean, they're pretty much in line with the Tuscan, so it's not really a surprise. Probably $2k more than I expected. But, based on the anticipation, we'll all probably be paying MSRP if not more.
I doubt many in this group will pay over MSRP. I almost am walking at MSRP. If dealers play any games at all, I am out. I have no desire to be even more upside down on a vehicle. The anticipation is high, but also concentrated. They know how many people really want this vehicle, but even those aren't firm sales by a long shot. I expect 1/3-1/2 of reservations to jump ship, and that will leave a bunch of cool looking cars that the general public has no idea exists sitting on a lot until they start dropping commercials. Their only source of advertisement besides commercials is the word-of-mouth or coolness-factor of seeing them on the road or in lots. If their early adopter dry up, they start losing momentum.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I doubt many in this group will pay over MSRP. I almost am walking at MSRP. If dealers play any games at all, I am out. I have no desire to be even more upside down on a vehicle. The anticipation is high, but also concentrated. They know how many people really want this vehicle, but even those aren't firm sales by a long shot. I expect 1/3-1/2 of reservations to jump ship, and that will leave a bunch of cool looking cars that the general public has no idea exists sitting on a lot until they start dropping commercials. Their only source of advertisement besides commercials is the word-of-mouth or coolness-factor of seeing them on the road or in lots. If their early adopter dry up, they start losing momentum.
Yes, it is definitely nail-biting time for the Santa Cruz team at Hyundai, too!

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
There's not really any ship to jump though, some people might just impulse buy the Santa Cruz because Maverick's definitely not out by the time Santa Cruz appear in dealerships

·
Registered
173 Posts
There's not really any ship to jump though, some people might just impulse buy the Santa Cruz because Maverick's definitely not out by the time Santa Cruz appear in dealerships
I mean there are plenty of CUVs out there, there are plenty of midsize trucks, and the Maverick is not going to be arriving much later than the bulk of Santa Cruz volume deliveries. Sure the Mav is the only one to one vehicle, but this segment didn't exist since the S10s and Dakotas of yesteryear, so most of us can survive until the next model year or so. I heard 2-3 months from Ford and first SC arrivals are at least a couple weeks to a month out, and thats not even big batches.

Not everyone is so impulsive with purchases. I have a strong impulsive interest, but if I don't buy during that or something deters me, my interest dies off fast.

If the SC doesn't blow me away, ill just let my reservation models sit on the lot for a few months until they are inevitably discounted by a couple grand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In terms of design style, for both exterior and interior, the SC takes the win. For storage, the SC takes the win for that since they have that under bed compartment....and without driving the ford yet, if the SC drives anything like the 22 Tucson, which it is based on, then it will probably take the win in that category., as well. The interior layout of the Tucson gives it a luxury feel... for example, the AC diffuse, which I have only seen in a luxury car.... and man, it is quiet as heck inside and I am expecting the SC to be about the same.

But I already have a Tucson hybrid which I have been disappointed with on the mpg...and for me to buy this would seem like, to quote Yogi Berra, "deja vu all over again" But I like everything else about the Tucson.

The ford has the hybrid and after pricing everything out with all the features I want.... it comes out less expensive than the SC. If the SC had a hybrid version...a concept I resisted, but am now sold on after buying the Sienna Hybrid, I would probably go with it... and even though the mpg on my Tucson is not what had expected, a hybrid SC would be better than the gas version of the SC... and would consider a SC Hybrid.

At this stage of my life, I am no longer looking nor have a need for a big truck...I have owned trucks from Ford to Toyota.... Now I am just looking for something I can use for the small utilitarian things in life....and with gas being $4.35+ where I am... MPG becomes a major factor in the decision as to which way to go.

Anxiously waiting to test drive both vehicles...

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
If it is any consolation, Toyota dealers are marking up the 2021 4Runner TRD Pro by $23K. Yes, you read that correct.

924c843717de71cf8713421e89b76ef2.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What kind of absolute SIMPLETON would actually buy that? Better yet - what kind of bank would finance a vehicle for $23k more than it's worth?? That's the best laugh I've had all day. Thanks for that!

Also, because I'm 12 in my head, why wouldn't someone have told Toyota execs that TRD is pronounced 'turd'??

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What kind of absolute SIMPLETON would actually buy that? Better yet - what kind of bank would finance a vehicle for $23k more than it's worth?? That's the best laugh I've had all day. Thanks for that!

Also, because I'm 12 in my head, why wouldn't someone have told Toyota execs that TRD is pronounced 'turd'??
You'd be surprised, in Colorado, quite a number of folks pay $10k over to get a TRD Pro 4Runner or Tacoma
$23k is too much, but who knows, maybe someone who really want it, and gambled on those memo stocks or crypto that made some quick money would do such thing

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, I guess, but for that much extra, it had better come with a long list of extra services ... like 5 years of "free" maintenance and a 200,000 mile warranty!!

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Agreed. it's a smaller and less capable truck, priced like a real truck.
At the high end I see it as a luxury SUV with a small open bed. The Limited trim really is upscale from any real truck. At the low end I see it as a really cool to own SUV ride with a small open bed. It falls short of traditional truck abilities that's for sure, but it's not intended to be such. I think ones actual needs are going to dictate which type of vehicle they eventually buy, because if you need traditional truck ability then the Santa Cruz gets crossed off the list. There's nothing wrong with a traditional truck if that's what you need and want.

I think the Santa Cruz style and features have many traditional truck owners wanting it, but are "frustrated" that it won't do what they perceive they need or actually do need for whatever reason.

Just my 2-cents. Certainly didn't mean to offend. Don't know if I did, because it's the internet... :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts