Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
The one problem I see with the SC is if you don't like it and want to trade it in, you will be taking a bath. Hyundai's have improved significantly over the years, but their depreciation is scary. Probably because you can always get 10-12% off MSRP from the get go. Not in this environment, but in a normal market.
This is true and is a problem. Discounts devalue your brand and Hyundai (and Nissan too) have a bad habit of doing this, as well as targeting lower credit score customers who default on loans or can't afford proper maintenance. Its sad but apparently its a business model that works for them.

However if you want see truly epic depreciation take a look a BMW, Audi or Volvo. BMWs in particular are known for taking to the bottom of the ocean once driven off the lot. This is because nobody wants a used BMW or one that has no warranty coverage.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Yup, I'm out too. Too much money. Going to look at used sport coupes.

Or maybe the Kona N. 2.0T
I'm still in at the SE AWD low end, but Hyundai seems to be doing everything to frustrate me and force me to a competent rollout order specific manufacturer...

·
Registered
173 Posts
There's not really any ship to jump though, some people might just impulse buy the Santa Cruz because Maverick's definitely not out by the time Santa Cruz appear in dealerships
If it is any consolation, Toyota dealers are marking up the 2021 4Runner TRD Pro by $23K. Yes, you read that correct.

View attachment 972
🖕 LOL thats what I would do to that dealer...and be the biggest mega-phone on the internet about them...At least Jesse-James had a gun..........

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm still in at the SE AWD low end, but Hyundai seems to be doing everything to frustrate me and force me to a competent rollout order specific manufacturer...
I might be still be in for a SEL FWD but it's $1000+ over the price of the Maverick XLT W/Luxury pkg and moonroof...But maybe they have a chance if they hook me when I can touch it and drive it...

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What kind of absolute SIMPLETON would actually buy that? Better yet - what kind of bank would finance a vehicle for $23k more than it's worth?? That's the best laugh I've had all day. Thanks for that!

Also, because I'm 12 in my head, why wouldn't someone have told Toyota execs that TRD is pronounced 'turd'??
No bank will finance that full amount. The purchaser would be required to bring cash to the table for that extra $23K. Just like a home. When people are paying upwards of $100K over asking price (as they are in Denver), they have to come up with the cash for the amount over the actual value of the home, in this case $100K plus the normal down payment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
No bank will finance that full amount. The purchaser would be required to bring cash to the table for that extra $23K. Just like a home. When people are paying upwards of $100K over asking price (as they are in Denver), they have to come up with the cash for the amount over the actual value of the home, in this case $100K plus the normal down payment.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy! As more buyers pony-up the surcharge, then the appraised home values start rising toward that 'new normal' and the loan values will follow. The market is just reacting to both supply problems and smoking-hot printing presses at the Fed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was looking at the Kona N, pretty cool.
I wanted the Kona N, it was my "dream" vehicle - until I relized it would not come with AWD option, at all.

Deal breaker. As my 1.6 2022 Kona has AWD but lacking that 100hp of the N. Was a super let down. And here in Utah, a Crossover/SUV without AWD = point and laugh situation.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The bank will finance part of it - some finance companies will finance 120% of the price of the car or more depending on your credit score and what rate they are offering you.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
I wanted the Kona N, it was my "dream" vehicle - until I relized it would not come with AWD option, at all.

Deal breaker. As my 1.6 2022 Kona has AWD but lacking that 100hp of the N. Was a super let down. And here in Utah, a Crossover/SUV without AWD = point and laugh situation.
Although the current SC Turbo AWD isn't quite N enough, it's probably the top 5 performance in Hyundai/Kia lineup, G70>Stinger>Veloster N > Kona N> SC Turbo AWD
I'm sure if SC doesn't suffer badly, there's bound to be an N-line and even a full on SC N in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would think the gearing would be better in the SC and maybe as fast? Since it tows you would think they would gear it that way(truck)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
The bank will finance part of it - some finance companies will finance 120% of the price of the car or more depending on your credit score and what rate they are offering you.
Good luck for that bank. The bottom is about to drop out of housing, used cars, and low interest rates. I don't want to be the person who buys at the market top and loses 50% overnight. I would never pay over MSRP for any vehicle.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Or walk away because they had no idea the interior would be gray, or what arrived doesn't have the retractable cover, or the black grille... or even what the MSRP was :oops: To me its like people made dinner reservations but had no idea it was at a seafood place. On the plus side this could be an opportunity for others to sweep in and pick up rejects. I assume Hyundai could careless, they know this first round of units will sell regardless of the $100 "I was here first" ticket the insiders got.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wonder how many prospective SC owners will walk away from their car when it arrives because the dealer will not budge off MSRP or adds an additional dealer markup? No way to know.
I don't want a base model so if they try any funny business on me on a SEL Premium or Limited, I'm out. I'll wait until the Maverick is out and cross shop them after the SC has sat for a few months.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
Or walk away because they had no idea the interior would be gray, or what arrived doesn't have the retractable cover, or the black grille... or even what the MSRP was :oops: To me its like people made dinner reservations but had no idea it was at a seafood place. On the plus side this could be an opportunity for others to sweep in and pick up rejects. I assume Hyundai could careless, they know this first round of units will sell regardless of the $100 "I was here first" ticket the insiders got.
You can always walk away if what you "reserved" is not exactly what you want, the $100 can be applied to any Hyundai product before the end of year, and any deposit made to the dealership to secure it should be refundable too, I don't see you lose anything besides maybe just interest on savings account which is almost nothing these days.
On the off chance it is exactly what you want, you get to be the first to drive it off the lot

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think FWD units will sell at all.

Mav cornered that market.

AWD, maybe, because Ford AWD with 4k towing starts at like 27k, same as SC AWD, but that retractable cover is a major selling point of the SC, and without it, idk.

Higher trims, problem is an almost as Capable Mav starts at 28-32k to the SEL Premium's 36k. Limited is 3-4k over a loaded Mav Lariat, which isn't bad, but looks bad on paper. A discrepancy like that keeps people from coming in, despite feature wise it's a good deal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I could go up to a SEL AWD with no add-ons...and no BS at MSRP but thats it...

·
Registered
489 Posts
On the off chance it is exactly what you want, you get to be the first to drive it off the lot
Correct... this appears to be Hyundai's plan in a nut shell.

And it will likely work because if you reject the vehicle for any reason they'll just call the next person on the list who will be over the moon to find out their SC arrived.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can always walk away if what you "reserved" is not exactly what you want, the $100 can be applied to any Hyundai product before the end of year, and any deposit made to the dealership to secure it should be refundable too, I don't see you lose anything besides maybe just interest on savings account which is almost nothing these days.
Copied from the Hyundia reserved FAQ page.

"Your deposit, if unused, will be held until October 30, 2021. If you do not purchase a vehicle and use your deposit, your original $100 will be refunded. Before we refund your deposit, we will make every attempt to inform and remind you, so that if you choose, you can use that deposit toward a new Hyundai vehicle purchase prior to the end of the program."

41 - 60 of 67 Posts