Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the second time my tailgate was opened without my knowledge. I know it's the button on the fob being accidentally pressed, but I don't have any way of knowing when it happens.

Both times, the car was parked and locked, but I guess the button somehow got pressed in my pocket and down it went. If I had something of value in there it would be available to anyone walking by!

I wish there were some way to disable that "feature". :mad:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nope. I enabled the remote door lock/unlock notification and then dropped the tailgate using the fob. No notification.

I got a text when I locked the doors remotely, but nothing when the tail was opened. :mad:
Same here. Tested and no notification for just the tailgate down. I will get a notification if the doors remain unlocked, but as long as the four doors are locked, if the tailgate drops, it will not trigger a notification.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, and now I'm worried it's going flop open at the wrong time and I'm not going to know it, and I'll get something stolen. :(

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Just tested it again with the fob using the tailgate button: View attachment 3307
I tested that if you ONLY manually press the release button on the tailgate itself to open it, the doors if previously locked, remain locked.

So, I guess if you use the fob drop tailgate button, somehow all the doors are unlocked as a side effect, and that's why?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I tested that if you ONLY manually press the release button on the tailgate itself to open it, the doors if previously locked, remain locked.

So, I guess if you use the fob drop tailgate button, somehow all the doors are unlocked as a side effect, and that's why?
Hmm, I didn't check the doors but the cabin light comes on so that's probably the case. But I thought the problem was phantom button pushes. If the tailgate is just dropping without the fob being pushed, that's a completely different issue and maybe worth a trip to the dealer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmm, I didn't check the doors but the cabin light comes on so that's probably the case. But I thought the problem was phantom button pushes. If the tailgate is just dropping without the fob being pushed, that's a completely different issue and maybe worth a trip to the dealer
I've now tried it three times using the fob to drop the tailgate and waiting up to 30 minutes and no notification.

1. Lock the doors
2. Drop the tailgate from the fob.
3. Wait 30 minutes. No notification.

However, whenever I leave any of the doors unlocked, I receive notifications telling me that the doors are unlocked. I just don't see where Bluelink and the notifications are treating the tailgate as a "door". Are you positive that all four of the doors themselves are locked when the tailgate is down? Because either you have the tailgate down + at least one door, or for some reason, my Bluelink isn't notifying me like it's notifying you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On a previous car, I managed to press and hold the unlock button to unlock the car and then roll down all the windows. Without knowing it. During a snow storm. Oops.
Since then, I cut an old credit card to the shape of the fob and tape it over the buttons. I can still get to the buttons if I want, but no more accidental pocket presses.

Does anyone make a hard shell that covers the buttons? Something that pops on\off easy? Maybe a sleeve?

·
Registered
Limited
162 Posts
I use shielded Faraday pouches. They work great for blocking accidental button presses. They also block thieves from stealing your fob info and using it to steal your car. It is definitely not as convenient as you have to take it out of the bag to use the fob. But it does solve a couple of important issues.

Smaller version

Larger version

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
22 Posts
I use a small carabiner type clip, clip the fob to a belt loop and keep the fob out of my pocket. Never had an issue with either my Dodge or Jeep, never lost a fob.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
482 Posts
Today was the second time my tailgate was opened without my knowledge. I know it's the button on the fob being accidentally pressed, but I don't have any way of knowing when it happens.

Both times, the car was parked and locked, but I guess the button somehow got pressed in my pocket and down it went. If I had something of value in there it would be available to anyone walking by!

I wish there were some way to disable that "feature". :mad:
I would be more worried about it coming down. and hitting the hood of a vehicle in a parking lot. :)

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited AWD
128 Posts
I thought I saw it in this thread where removing the tailgate fuse would disable the remote unlocking feature of the tailgate. But I can't seem to find it.
I did try removing the fuse. The good news is it disable the remote unlocking. The bad news is it also disabled ALL unlocking capabilities of the tailgate, including manually and tied in to the unlocking of all doors.
If you remove the fuse, the tailgate cannot be opened in any way. So I had to reinstall the fuse.
Just a fair warning for those who are thinking of doing this.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
64 Posts
On a previous car, I managed to press and hold the unlock button to unlock the car and then roll down all the windows. Without knowing it. During a snow storm. Oops.
Since then, I cut an old credit card to the shape of the fob and tape it over the buttons. I can still get to the buttons if I want, but no more accidental pocket presses.

Does anyone make a hard shell that covers the buttons? Something that pops on\off easy? Maybe a sleeve?
I had an unexpected tail gate opening event the other day too. I have been looking for some sort of sleeve for my fob. They really should do something about this issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts