1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottle Liquid Product Fluid Glass bottle
Bottle Liquid Fluid Communication Device Font

I got a couple of these bottles in preparation for the DCT gear oil change. They look like straight 75W oil, not sure what other special property there is.

I'm really tempted to use other fluid like

Liquid Fluid Cosmetics Solution Plastic bottle

Not only is OEM fluid more expensive, it's not even available from the dealership nor North America Hyundai warehouse.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
As long as it meets or exceeds all of the standards listed on the Hyundai version, full synthetic, etc, there's no reason it shouldn't work just fine. There are standard specs that need to be met, as long as they are, you should be golden. The problem one on that list I possibly see is the "Hyundai WDCTF" standard. There's a chance they don't release that spec for other oil companies to test against and meet, so they can call other oils incompatible to corner market and void warranties if you use them.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Intresting - unlike the engine and rear diff the owner's manual doesn't list what spec this fluid is. So I would stick with OEM. I agree there is likely nothing special about it... well other then price. You could ask Redline if its compatible.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your inputs, I have 8 qts the OEM stuff, I'd want to swap once, and drive it for 10 mins and change it again, if I can get 50% each drain and fill, doing twice will get 75% of the old fluid out, ideally I want to do 3x drain and fill, that should get to 80% swapped

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why the fluid change? Having issues? Will you be changing the filter as well?
I figured after break-in period, the metal shavings in the fluid can't be good for the transmission. I have 0 issue with the transmission, but I'm going to do the exact volume drain and refill so unless I **** up and drain and fill the wrong holes, I don't see any risk of doing it.

I won't be changing the filter, because I don't see it in the service manual as a serviceable part or any procedure related to it. It might as well not have a filter since DCT is kind of "manual" transmission,

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Intresting - unlike the engine and rear diff the owner's manual doesn't list what spec this fluid is. So I would stick with OEM. I agree there is likely nothing special about it... well other then price. You could ask Redline if its compatible.
Got this email from redline
Font Screenshot Multimedia Darkness Display device

but it's a GL-4 manual transmission fluid, recommended replacement for some "older" Hyundai Kia DCT. I'm not quite convinced this is the one.

Also found these Kia equivalent

Liquid Bottle Fluid Bottle cap Drink

Bottle Font Gas Gadget Communication Device

The Kia one and Hyundai one almost look the same except packaging, I just ordered 3 gallons, hopefully they are in stock as Hyundai's version is out of stock everywhere

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good. I know in my Cherokee there is a very specific process, temperature,etc. for doing trans fluid changes. 😃
Officially Hyundai's DCT too, there's a fluid level reading procedure at some temperature. That's when you don't know how much you drained and need to fill to the correct level which can only be determined when the temperature is correct.

Without the fancy procedure, the simple drain and exact refill will just keep the fluid level the same as before. But...who knows if the factory-filled fluid level is correct, if they made a mistake, I'd just perpetuate the same mistake. But currently I have 0 issue with the DCT, so I take it as a sign the fluid level is okay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mitsubishi used the DCT470 on some of their vehicles. The most popular one is the EVOX MR and the Lancer Ralliart.

People that started tinkering with other non OEM oils experienced issues with their transmissions. Many started having slipping issues, others poor driveability, and some extreme cases their clutches gave up.

Every forum or Facebook group dedicated to owners with vehicles with this DCT recommends using OEM trans oil or a particular CASTROL branded one which was the same fluid.

My suggestion is to stick with OEM. These transmissions are very expensive to replace and very delicate.

If you take the risk, I will be among the first ones saying "I Told You" with a link to this reply and lots of happy faces.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mitsubishi used the DCT470 on some of their vehicles. The most popular one is the EVOX MR and the Lancer Ralliart.

People that started tinkering with other non OEM oils experienced issues with their transmissions. Many started having slipping issues, others poor driveability, and some extreme cases their clutches gave up.

Every forum or Facebook group dedicated to owners with vehicles with this DCT recommends using OEM trans oil or a particular CASTROL branded one which was the same fluid.

My suggestion is to stick with OEM. These transmissions are very expensive to replace and very delicate.

If you take the risk, I will be among the first ones saying "I Told You" with a link to this reply and lots of happy faces.
Yep sticking with OEM, I can't find Hyundai's anywhere, but got Kia's instead, there shouldn't be any difference in the chemical make up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.