Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Administrator
431 Posts
I’m no mechanic but I find it odd that the entire transmission needs to be replaced due to single part, but again, someone with better knowledge would understand it better.
The entire transmission gets replaced because the HPEOP is not serviceable separately. This could be because replacing it requires a higher level of skill and/or care than dealership employees have - just like they aren't allowed to open transmissions.

· Registered
536 Posts
The entire transmission gets replaced because the HPEOP is not serviceable separately. This could be because replacing it requires a higher level of skill and/or care than dealership employees have - just like they aren't allowed to open transmissions.
You would think these high priced part designers would have made it easy to change out on the vehicle.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
If owners are experiencing delays now with repair, imagine once the letters go out and those owners start pursuing transmission replacement.
You’re making the assumption a lot of transmissions are going to be replaced. Reality is, everyone will get the ”fail safe” software upgrade and very few and only with faulty HP-EOP will get their transmission replaced.
How they determine bad soldering, who knows… 🤷🏻‍♂️ No information available on the procedure.

· Registered
364 Posts
You’re making the assumption a lot of transmissions are going to be replaced. Reality is, everyone will get the ”fail safe” software upgrade and very few and only with faulty HP-EOP will get their transmission replaced.
How they determine bad soldering, who knows… 🤷🏻‍♂️ No information available on the procedure.
Exactly this… they determine bad soldering when your transmission craps the bed. Until then, you will have the fixed fail safe software to make you feel warm and fuzzy. I fully suspect that all the DCTs, at least until recently, have the faulty pump. The newer vehicles just came out of the factory with the proper failsafes

· Registered
37 Posts
But if a VIN is affected by the recall, could a customer request a transmission replaced even if they are not experiencing a failure? I could see some doing this simply to avoid bad timing of a potential failure.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
But if a VIN is affected by the recall, could a customer request a transmission replaced even if they are not experiencing a failure? I could see some doing this simply to avoid bad timing of a potential failure.
That’s not how a recall works or rather this recall - vast majority of DCT is working perfectly fine… they’re not going to replace a perfectly good transmission- the direction is to inspect for bad HP-EOP and replace if found to be faulty…

· Registered
37 Posts
According to the safety recall report: “All owners of the subject vehicles will be notified via first class mail with instructions to bring their vehicle to a Hyundai dealer to inspect the transmission and replace it, if necessary. Dealers will also reprogram the transmission control unit with updated software that provides proper “fail-safe” driving capability. This remedy will be offered at no cost to owners for all affected vehicles, regardless of whether the affected vehicles are still covered under Hyundai’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Additionally, Hyundai will provide owners of affected vehicles reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses incurred to obtain a remedy for the recall condition in accordance with the reimbursement plan….”

The issue, as per other posters, is the way the HPEOP is integrated, if it is faulty, the entire transmission needs to be replaced.

My previous vehicle, a Hyundai Tucson, had 2 recalls and I had the vehicle serviced despite experiencing no issue from the recall problem.

· Registered
Black Limited
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
UPDATE: Service rep just called. They drove it in and called to ask what's wrong? They said everything appears fine at first glance with no check engine light. Told them what happened. They said they'll get back to me once they test it later today.

· Registered
263 Posts
Thanks - I forgot that warning screen. Can you still find it in the app?

I was wondering if it set an OBD error code which can be downloaded with a scan tool? If it didn't, I don't think the dealer will know what to do unless it happens again when they have it.

You would think something that disables a vehicle would throw a code but I don't remember seeing a specific one called out. Maybe I just missed it.

· Registered
Black Limited
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
UPDATE: Talked to the service rep today and they said they ran the transmission update but still had a hard fault that would not clear. They called Hyundai tech support and were told to check for loose electrical, bad connections, etc. and if none to order a new tranny. Nothing showed up on electrical inspection so they ordered a new trans. He said he should hear a delivery timeframe hopefully today.
Also they did offer a loaner to get me by (which makes me wonder on timeframes) but still have my '03 Baja, so I declined. Stay tuned... to be continued.

· Registered
Black Limited
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
UPDATE: Talked to Hyundai Corp and opened a complaint and case # with my issue. They are assigning a case mgr to try to get this escalated in a more timely manner. I asked if they have had many calls on this SC trans issue and both my local service mgr and corp person said no. They said that I'm the first they've heard of with this issue (yeah... right). Doubt I'll hear anything now until next week sometime due to the holiday.

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited, Hampton Gray
27 Posts
Good luck! My new transmission was approved the first week of October and the last ETA I was given was January 3rd. In the middle of the buyback process currently. Apparently they have transmissions in Alabama to put in new SCs, but can't seem to find any for existing customers with issues. Hopefully you have better luck.

· Administrator
431 Posts
Apparently they have transmissions in Alabama to put in new SCs, but can't seem to find any for existing customers with issues.
Same with Honda and most other automakers and many other industries. I know of people who have been waiting months to get parts like catalytic converters and bumper covers.

We've had unprecedented difficulties and delays getting components to build industrial equipment at work for well over a year now and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. The few components we're able to source are immediately dedicated for new equipment. If we get one widget, we have to make a choice between selling it to a customer who already bought a machine or using that widget to make a new machine to sell to someone else. Guess where that widget goes? :)

· Registered
37 Posts
UPDATE: Talked to Hyundai Corp and opened a complaint and case # with my issue. They are assigning a case mgr to try to get this escalated in a more timely manner. I asked if they have had many calls on this SC trans issue and both my local service mgr and corp person said no. They said that I'm the first they've heard of with this issue (yeah... right). Doubt I'll hear anything now until next week sometime due to the holiday.
More than happy to provide my case number because I’m having the exact same issue. What a joke.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts