Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Registered
Black Limited
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
More than happy to provide my case number because I’m having the exact same issue. What a joke.
Wonder just how many so far are having this issue? Might be a good time to do a survey and see what the head count is. Be nice to see who's gotten theirs fixed and what they had to go through to get it done. Can't help but wonder if a class action will be taken if there is enough of us?
If I don't get any concrete commitment from Hyundai corporate think I'll have to get them to tow mine home until the tranny arrives. Hate to leave it out in the back of the dealers lot unprotected for two months in Midwesten Winter conditions, not to mention the door dings and bumps from the careless car jockeys.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
^^ That’s 229 at time of recall out of 53,000+ vehicles over 6 different types sold or manufactured- 9000+ being the Santa Cruz
Add a few more since recall. Still the percentage is rather low for wDCT failure thus far vs not having issues with DCT
Not to minimize any one’s experience with the failure- truly hope for a quick resolution

· Registered
37 Posts
Is that 229 vehicles that experienced the shutdown (fail-safe shutdown drive) prior to software update? Or 229 vehicles that require transmission replacement? I feel like its the first, so there may be more vehicles plus vehicles like mine (VIN not included in recall) that are experiencing a transmission control issue and being advised the entire transmission needs to be replaced.

· Administrator
431 Posts
Most likely, 229 before the software update, but in order for them to have shut down the HPEOP would have failed and since that isn't replaced by itself, a new transmission is required.

The software update doesn't keep the faulty HPEOPs from failing - it just keeps the vehicle from completely losing motive power if the HPEOP fails due a soldering defect. If the HPEOP fails, the vehicle will still need a new transmission whether it has a software update or not.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Is that 229 vehicles that experienced the shutdown (fail-safe shutdown drive) prior to software update? Or 229 vehicles that require transmission replacement? I feel like its the first, so there may be more vehicles plus vehicles like mine (VIN not included in recall) that are experiencing a transmission control issue and being advised the entire transmission needs to be replaced.
Yes, There’s certainly failures after the Hyundai filed notice with NHTSA- but the numbers would still be very low…

· Registered
37 Posts
Hyundai just doesn't realize/care that better communication and customer service goes a long way. My experience is just lack of responses, ETAs, etc. and just feel like I am being left in the dark if/when my SC might be repaired. The case manager advised she would contact me this week with an update to the review. So far nothing and she has not responded to my updates regarding the servicing dealer. I get that I am just a number but we are also not talking about a clock radio either. It's an expensive item that many of us rely on for our livelihoods, family, etc.

· Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
502 Posts
uspokelly, based on what I’ve seen of your posts and unhappiness with Hyundai, if you can get out of your 2 week old vehicle…then do it and buy something else (another model/make). I get it, you are very disappointed. You sound bitter and I suspect that ANY issue large or small in the future will just be salt in the wound.

· Registered
263 Posts
At one time automotive customers were very brand loyal. If a manufacturer made high quality, durable vehicles and dealers provided excellent service they earned customers for life. That basically happened for me with a run of nearly perfect Toyota products.

But today things have changed and far fewer buyers favor one brand over another. They buy on features and styling and less on past vehicle performance. Car makers have noticed and economics no longer favor durability and service as much as in the past. This has been lead by consumers and car manufacturers are doing what all companies do, which is to maximize their profits.

· Registered
364 Posts
Hyundai just doesn't realize/care that better communication and customer service goes a long way. My experience is just lack of responses, ETAs, etc. and just feel like I am being left in the dark if/when my SC might be repaired. The case manager advised she would contact me this week with an update to the review. So far nothing and she has not responded to my updates regarding the servicing dealer. I get that I am just a number but we are also not talking about a clock radio either. It's an expensive item that many of us rely on for our livelihoods, family, etc.
Unfortunately I don’t think this is related to Hyundai or even the automotive industry as a whole. I think this is the new norm in world economics. They likely don’t have answers for you because they are waiting on others to give them answers. The truth is that even if to this point only 300 transmissions have failed, they can’t just stop making new vehicles to provide those transmissions to repairs. Instead they are required to maybe reduce new vehicles by a few dozen a month and let the repair trannys trickle out like that. It’s unfortunate, but they are at the mercy of shipping and transportation bottlenecks just like every other industry. I’m not saying that you should forgive the problems you have faced, but you need to be realistic about what you will find with most every industry out there today.

· Registered
263 Posts
If the price is right I say sell it and move on. A vehicle is not worth the hassle if you can't count on it.

The Santa Cruz is an amazing truck but a few trucks with defective trannies are causing a lot of grief for their owners. I can see why you would be upset and there are lots of interesting vehicles out there, assuming that you can get your hands on one.

My problem is that there are no other small trucks on the market that I actually want, besides the SC. But until Hyundai get's QC under control I will drive my tusty Tundra, paying lots for gas but no monthly payments and virtually zero for maintenance. It could be worse.

· Registered
5 Posts
I keep wondering when I’m going to read a post saying they got their new trans and how it‘s all going now instead of “they bought my vehicle back!”. It just seems odd even though the numbers are low that I’m not hearing about anyone actually getting fixed and back on the road.

· Registered
2 Posts
The dreaded DCT issue just caught up with me yesterday! Luckily, I was at a small town intersection and just would not go after the stop. Tried everything but no go. I happened upon a good sumaritan that pulled me off the road into a parking lot. Called Blue-link and was on hold for 20 min and finally gave up. Called AAA and they dispatched a truck (that took 4 hrs to get 10 miles)! They took it to a dealership and I saw it this morning park outside there but the service dept doesn't work weekends and won't open until Monday. So now I'll just have to wait and see whats next. Luckily I still have my trusty '03 Baja and can drive it while I'm out of my SC. Here's the error that popped up. In case it's going to be a month or more, those that complained to Hyundai directly to speed things up, what number/department did you call to get things going? Hate to be out of commission for a month or more! View attachment 14814
I have a twenty twenty two Santa cruz s e l premium. The transmission failed in march this year. And I sure would eat it a transmission oil pump but hyundai replaced the oil pump and Transmission with 3,666 miles. It took over 6 weeks for a replacement. Seems ok for now but I will check on the recall. Hopefully my SC has the new transmission oil pump. 10,500 miles on the vehicle. Perfect size vehicle, I really don't like the Ford Maverick. If Chevrolet or Toyota comes out with one I will consider a trade in.

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
235 Posts
Well, I just received the initial repurchase letter. Now to figure out what to do next….
I'm curious how long was it from when you filed to when you received an official letter from hyundai about the repurchase? It seemed to take forever for me. From the time I filed for repurchase until I was all payed up from hyundai took 11 months. Again just curious if my representation was trash or if it was indeed hyundai holding things up.i

· Registered
37 Posts
I'm curious how long was it from when you filed to when you received an official letter from hyundai about the repurchase? It seemed to take forever for me. From the time I filed for repurchase until I was all payed up from hyundai took 11 months. Again just curious if my representation was trash or if it was indeed hyundai holding things up.i
I purchased my SC 10/18/2022, received transmission control error on 11/7/2022 and had it towed the same day. Immediately started filing complaints with Hyundai, NHTSA and BBB Auto Line (continually updating). Received initial repurchase letter on 11/23/2022. Haven’t received the offer yet but I’m in NYS and lemon law will kick in at 30 day mark if vehicle not repaired. So worst case, around 12/7/2022, I could make a lemon law claim but it seems Hyundai is moving prior to that?

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
235 Posts
I purchased my SC 10/18/2022, received transmission control error on 11/7/2022 and had it towed the same day. Immediately started filing complaints with Hyundai, NHTSA and BBB Auto Line (continually updating). Received initial repurchase letter on 11/23/2022. Haven’t received the offer yet but I’m in NYS and lemon law will kick in at 30 day mark if vehicle not repaired. So worst case, around 12/7/2022, I could make a lemon law claim but it seems Hyundai is moving prior to that?
Yeah I think you were smart with filing so early with BBB. I had legal representation before I hit the thirty day mark and they were in communication with hyundai. Seems like you are ahead of the game compared to my experience.

· Registered
37 Posts
I'm hoping it doesn't take too long for Hyundai to actually cut me a check. I need a car so I need to time turning in the loaner with obtaining another vehicle. I'm also bracing for the offer. I bought the SC brand new, only owned it 2 1/2 weeks and put on 200 miles before failure. I really hope they don't deduct much from my original spending.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts