Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like others, on August 11, Hyundai concierge sent me the email and code to configure my Santa Cruz online and choose a local dealership. After doing that, I went to the dealership’s website and completed the forms to purchase the SC. Their valuation link gave me a generous trade in offer and the monthly payments if I chose to finance the difference. The next day the dealership emailed and we had a few exchanges. The mlast one stated the next step was to bring them my trade in for inspection.

Aug 19: A white Limited SC arrived at Weisner Hyundai! It fit the description of my online reservation. It was in the rear lot behind the service building and not yet been pepped for sale, but it looked great! I went inside and asked for my salesman, but he was tied up. I spoke with a random salesman who was aloof and knew nothing about the reservation program or even the white Limited in the back. I had to return to work and he was no help, so I left. Here are a couple of pics:

August 20: I received this email from Hyundai Concierge stating I have an appointment on the 21st at that dealership. I couldn’t believe it, that was indeed my car!
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

I arrive Saturday afternoon. The white SC is not there. Two salesmen play dumb. The salesman I had been emailing isn’t there. I scoured the 3 lots. They have a Sage Gray and a Black. I find out the white Limited had been sold. The salesman said he would’ve been happy to sell it to me but another salesman sold it.
I called concierge several times and left messages (they do not answer). No response to my emails or calls. I can’t login and configure another SC on Hyundai website as I’m locked out (I was already assigned a vehicle and dealership).

The failure of the reservation program isn't only because that Hyundai Concierge has done a terrible job communicating with their dealerships. The program was doomed from the start because they cannot control the dealerships. Sales of a scare product will go to the highest bidder or the to buyer who has a pre-existing relationship with the dealership/salesperson. I’ve purchased new vehicles online previously and skipped the entire multiple hour process which wears the buyer down. In retrospect, I could have been more aggressive in claiming that SC as mine when it first arrived. But that might not have changed the end result. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
484 Posts
The White one you were supposed to get looks great in that picture. Do you have another Hyundai dealer nearby? I would not be giving this dealership my business. They probably sold it for more than your original agreement and mysteriously lost your paperwork. Can you still see your "agreement" on the dealer website or was that scrubbed when the vehicle was sold?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t think of checking. Good idea. It could be helpful with negotiations.
I’m going to a different dealership today to look at a white premium. They’ve had two on their lot for at least 2 weeks, so maybe I’ll get a deal. 🤷‍♂️ It’s the end of the month, right? I really had my heart set on the Limited but I think I’ll survive without leather, rear vents, adaptive cruise control, and extra camera views. Silly stuff right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They wouldn't like the scene I would have made inside the dealership with all the other customers around. I don't like any car dealers anyways.
I’m capable of doing that for sure, but after spending Friday & Saturday at the Margaritaville lake resort, I was too relaxed to get into it. And I didn’t want ruin the amazing attitude that I had achieved from that with some toxic interaction. I was able to look at the big picture and realize I’m not hurt. It took 5 days (and going back to work) before I got mad about it. 😂🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
sorry to hear that
as you have mentioned, concierge reservation doesn't mean jack ****
next time, using Chuck and Casey's list to find a VIN and have a sales person call dibs on that specific vehicle.
Normally in the dealership, 1 sales person puts their name on it, it can't or shouldn't be sold by other sales person

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I thought I had reserved it through the dealership. They emailed me and said the next step was inspecting my trade-in. I should have gone up Friday but I was taking a long overdue 2 day mini-vacation on the lake.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,002 Posts
Dealership sold the SC that Concierge reserved
Why doesn't this surprise me one bit? Par for the Hyundai stealership course. So sad to see the Hyundai dealers causing such frustration to fan club buyers. My Concierge Reserved SC got highjacked by a corrupt stealership too.

I feel for you. Good luck in your new search.

·
Registered
2022 Black Hybrid Limited Tucson
72 Posts
I didn’t think of checking. Good idea. It could be helpful with negotiations.
I’m going to a different dealership today to look at a white premium. They’ve had two on their lot for at least 2 weeks, so maybe I’ll get a deal. 🤷‍♂️ It’s the end of the month, right? I really had my heart set on the Limited but I think I’ll survive without leather, rear vents, adaptive cruise control, and extra camera views. Silly stuff right?
So sorry they sold it out from under you : (

Really, The ONLY way to insure a promised vehicle doesn't get sold right out from under you is to track its every movement like a deer till the second its spotted & then have the Sales Manager pull BOTH keys the second it arrives AND send a pic of them to ur phone.

(It also doesn't hurt to get the Sales Manager photo on his desk of his wife & kids and let him know you can easily find them if the vehicle sells to ANYONE else! lol)

I'd not recommend giving up the extra Limited features, the Blind Spot View Camera's especially are amazing, and with the Santa Cruz somewhat limited rear visability, you will come to rely heavily on the 360 surround view. Might be just me, i have BOTH those camera systems on my Limited Hybrid Tucson and could never give them up.

Additional things you'd lose (unless i'm mistaken) going from Limited to Premium is:
20 inch wheels
Darker chrome grill & accents
Cooled seats (need those in TEXAS!)
8 inch infotainment vs 10.25
Heated steering wheel (have never used it once UNLESS by accident..lol)
Bose Stereo
3 year subscription to My Hyundai-

I know its not price stopping you, ONLY availability, personally, i'd wait for a Limited if i could-it is the ULTIMATE TOTAL PKG for this vehicle : )

While Hyundai vehicle prices are going up up up, AT LEAST their package upgrade for all you get get jumping to Limited for just 4,000 is STILL a deal of a lifetime. You won't find ANYWHERE ELSE that numerous amount or those kinds of feature upgrades in any other mfg but kia & hyundai for such a price- it seems in that regard they are still the LEADER of the pack : )

(i saw that WHITE listing on Weisner's website too, but with markups, just generally being a Houston stealership and the fact i'd be trading a 22 Limited Hybrid i KNEW it would all never turn into a satisfying deal, so i didn't even bother... grrr )

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That is so unprofessional, I blame corporate
Hyundai did their part - they shipped the requested vehicle. The dealership sold it to someone else.

The reservation system has been a joke since day 1, thus sadly this outcome was predictable due to the lack of clear communication on the process. Dealers have proven themselve untrustworthy and behavior like this just reinforces the stereotype, so I'm not shocked by this outcome at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So sorry they sold it out from under you : (

I'd not recommend giving up the extra Limited features, the Blind Spot View Camera's especially are amazing, and with the Santa Cruz somewhat limited rear visability, you will come to rely heavily on the 360 surround view. Might be just me, i have BOTH those camera systems on my Limited Hybrid Tucson and could never give them up.

Additional things you'd lose (unless i'm mistaken) going from Limited to Premium is:
20 inch wheels
Darker chrome grill & accents
Cooled seats (need those in TEXAS!)
8 inch infotainment vs 10.25
Heated steering wheel (have never used it once UNLESS by accident..lol)
Bose Stereo
3 year subscription to My Hyundai-

I know its not price stopping you, ONLY availability, personally, i'd wait for a Limited if i could-it is the ULTIMATE TOTAL PKG for this vehicle : )

While Hyundai vehicle prices are going up up up, AT LEAST their package upgrade for all you get get jumping to Limited for just 4,000 is STILL a deal of a lifetime. You won't find ANYWHERE ELSE that numerous amount or those kinds of feature upgrades in any other mfg but kia & hyundai for such a price- it seems in that regard they are still the LEADER of the pack : )

(i saw that WHITE listing on Weisner's website too, but with markups, just generally being a Houston stealership and the fact i'd be trading a 22 Limited Hybrid i KNEW it would all never turn into a satisfying deal, so i didn't even bother... grrr )
Thanks. I will continue to search for a Limited.

Hyundai Concierge has not responded to my request to reset my vehicle search ability. That is super frutrating as I've emailed and left a VM message. I also responded to JD Powers when they emailed me about a different SC at a different dealership. Only crickets so far.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s not easy finding a Limited! Well there is one available that is black. The SC does look great in black, but I’m trading in a black car so I’m ready for something else.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It’s not easy finding a Limited! Well there is one available that is black. The SC does look great in black, but I’m trading in a black car so I’m ready for something else.
i also have a black vehicle and decided to wait IF & UNTIL selection is better. I just can't decide between the black & white. I like the black becuz you don't see gaps and its slick looking overall ESPECIALLY with the black powder coated wheels, HOWEVER being black on black you don't get the full effect of the cool body styling if its lumped into all one color.

I'd hate to get the black and then have a white pull up next to me at a light and be like DANG, that looks sooooo much more stylish. Then there's that blue stone- Love that color too, but have yet to see ANY Santa Cruz in person! So i will wait till i can see them "side by side" (IF that will EVER happen, its anybody's guess : )

(Some still shots i grabbed off youtube)

·
Registered
221 Posts
i also have a black vehicle and decided to wait IF & UNTIL selection is better. I just can't decide between the black & white. I like the black becuz you don't see gaps and its slick looking overall ESPECIALLY with the black powder coated wheels, HOWEVER being black on black you don't get the full effect of the cool body styling if its lumped into all one color.

I'd hate to get the black and then have a white pull up next to me at a light and be like DANG, that looks sooooo much more stylish. Then there's that blue stone- Love that color too, but have yet to see ANY Santa Cruz in person! So i will wait till i can see them "side by side" (IF that will EVER happen, its anybody's guess : )

(Some still shots i grabbed off youtube)

View attachment 2205

View attachment 2208

View attachment 2207
I've had a black car for 34 years, 48k miles, no rain/snow, covered and garaged; it still shows dirt and every little scratch. A black daily driver? No thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had a black car for 34 years, 48k miles, no rain/snow, covered and garaged; it still shows dirt and every little scratch. A black daily driver? No thanks!
i KNOW it can be challenging but even my before my current black vehicle was my black RAM truck... WAS going to get ceramic coating but never got around to it and sold it before long... That BLACK truck stayed really clean UNLESS i got in a bad rainstorm on the highway. I could go weeks & weeks sometimes with it looking like it does below : ) The tires would get dirtier faster than the body did : )

·
Registered
411 Posts
I arrive Saturday afternoon. The white SC is not there. Two salesmen play dumb. The salesman I had been emailing isn’t there. I scoured the 3 lots. They have a Sage Gray and a Black. I find out the white Limited had been sold. The salesman said he would’ve been happy to sell it to me but another salesman sold it.

I called concierge several times and left messages (they do not answer). No response to my emails or calls. I can’t login and configure another SC on Hyundai website as I’m locked out (I was already assigned a vehicle and dealership).

The failure of the reservation program isn't only because that Hyundai Concierge has done a terrible job communicating with their dealerships. The program was doomed from the start because they cannot control the dealerships. Sales of a scare product will go to the highest bidder or the to buyer who has a pre-existing relationship with the dealership/salesperson. I’ve purchased new vehicles online previously and skipped the entire multiple hour process which wears the buyer down. In retrospect, I could have been more aggressive in claiming that SC as mine when it first arrived. But that might not have changed the end result. 🤷‍♂️
So sorry you had that happen. Maybe to make you feel better:

You should have the option of searching for inventory from the reservation page.

You should then be able to change the reservation since it is unfulfilled.

My VIN for my reservation actually appeared on hyundaiusa.com. That concerned me as it showed available at the dealer for sale!!?. I checked the dealer site and nothing was listed, so it was not at the dealer. I called the concierge, they answered after a short wait. They knew who I was by my phone number and greeted me by name. They confirmed my reservation and VIN. They stated that "NO my VIN should not be appearing as "available"". They said it was assigned to my dealer and said I should call the dealer for the ETA. They also said they would change that VIN to be "allocated" so it would no longer appear nationwide (still showing 48 hours later). I spoke to my salesman, who has been great. He shared my concern and looked up the VIN to get the status. He sent me his screenshots of the VIN/AON # and that it was already marked as sold w/ my name. The ETA showed 9/18 and status was "IR - In Transit (rail)". He let me know that they "think" it will come next week, based on other shipments from HMMA.

Moral of the story:
  • Reservation system is not working very well at all... all the burden is on the buyer.
  • The concierge support has been "ok", they have been responsive, but have also had some confusing info... at best.
  • Your local dealer is the key... without that connection with you, things like this are allowed to happen.

I have not driven home in the SC yet... so I'm still not convinced this will work out. I have faith in my relationship with the dealer since this will be #4 Hyundai from them.

Others may find that without a deposit ($$ CASH is KING) or a good relationship with a dealer, the BS like what happened to you will continue. My beef with the reservation program is that all the burden is all on the buyer to keep the purchase moving forward by doing all the leg work. It does not seem HMA is 100% with you in that leg work. Then throw in the dealer issues... perfect scenario for major customer disappointment.

I hope something pops for you soon... I share your frustration as do many others here. :cry:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts