Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
In 2003 I bought the Elantra 5 door hatch: 285k miles running strong before accident.
2011 I bought brand new sonata we with turbo: 308k and still driving it. Giving it to my daughter instead of trading it.
Take care of them and they will last.
Note* the sonata engine was recalled around 160k. But they covered the cost even though I was over warranty.
what's the secret to your maintenance?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Does the A/C with ventilated seats feel as good as I dream it will on these hot summer days?
Yes, first time I ever seen a vehicle with AC that has adjustable auto setting. It has 3 speeds.
Diffuse function isn't very useful during hot summer days as it kicks the AC out of auto mode and makes it quiet

Ventilated seats works fine, not the coldest that I experienced but they get the job done

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anyone remember the Pony? Sold in the U.S. as the Excel. View attachment 1702
I had one (87?) in college and ran it to death (150k plus). Only problems i had was body rust and the fuel line would freeze if it got in the teens (could have been the cheap gas but none of my buddies had the problem, so...). Only major repair was a new clutch at around 80k. For the $4000 brand new, you couldn't beat it. Think i still have the manual!

·
Registered
221 Posts
LOL, well Hyundai as a brand isn't quite at Toyota or Honda levels, but they are better than say long established brands like Ford. That said, if there was going to be a poor reliability year for any product, it would certainly be on the first six months of a brand new product as a few teething issues are unavoidable. Its also how a vehicle that used to be below average reliability like the Dodge Challenger managed to become one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, as its getting so old with nothing but a bit of a refresh back in 2015.

There were some cars way ahead of their time though, like a Corvette way back in 1997 already had heads up display on the glass, memory power seat that was tied to the fob, you could lower all the windows with the fob, and it already had a computer controlled adaptive suspension that could help it predict and respond to bumps or just go to different overall stiffness settings. A lot of cars in 2021 don't even have that.
My son doesn't have a Hyundai but its sibling, a 18 month old KIA, Optima S. Has been a great value and great car. Never a problem, drives and looks good, free scheduled maintenance for long as he owns the car. Crazy deal, with optional red paint it was 20k, a steal and minimum bs in getting the deal done. Wanted a Hyundai, the dealer was completely obnoxious, left and got the KIA.
Does the A/C with ventilated seats feel as good as I dream it will on these hot summer days?
Have a friend, after owning a car with ventilated seats, stated he'll never again own a car w/o a "taint cooler". Thankfully not one of my prerequisites, guess you don't miss what you never had.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not good, AC on full blast all the time, ventilated seats at max
In the city I get like 15 mpg
On the highway from Houston to Austin, average speed 85mph I get 22 mpg (and that's on ethanol free 92 octane gas)

I think mpg will improve after 3k miles
why the 92 octane?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
why the 92 octane?
that's the only octane rating for ethanol free gas at the place
as for why, I assume the engine is not at its most "settled" state during the first 500 mile break-in period, so even if it's tuned for 87, I just rather not take any chance of knocking.
After break-in period, I'm going to gradually ween the vehicle off of premium fuel and use 87 and upper cylinder lubricant every fill up and injector cleaner every 4k miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I'm OK in the mileage arena. Average 22-24 around San Antonio. Had a service request in Abilene the other day. 488 miles round trip. 75-85 mph. Turned in a respectable 26.5 checking gallons used verses miles drive. I expect it to get better. I don't ever see it giving me Kona figures and that is the only thing I miss about the Kona.

·
Registered
Black Limited
88 Posts
View attachment 1697

In the middle of driving, these warnings came on
Pulled over to check brake lights and turn signal in the back, they are fine. Not sure why, I will be doing more testing at night.
I noticed the warning for my LEDs come on more when it's hotter or when I have my foot on the brake for extended periods. Goes right off when I take off though. Ordered different LEDS to see if it helps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nearing the end of my first tank of gas in my SC. I live in the suburbs. Lots of driving to/from the grocery stores, soccer practices, Home Depot, Costco, etc. Most roads are 35 to 45 MPH but with lots of lights which thanks to Murphy's Law, I always seem to hit. Anyways, I'm averaging 16.5 mpg which I understand is just my first tank of gas, but still, I was getting 13.5 mpg with my V8 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. So, I'm at a loss at where exactly all that gas is going.........

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I noticed the warning for my LEDs come on more when it's hotter or when I have my foot on the brake for extended periods. Goes right off when I take off though. Ordered different LEDS to see if it helps.
yeah, some LED circuits lower output when the temp is too high, I am currently not running any resistors and so far they are okay, but if next summer I start to get errors then I'll add some plug and play resistors

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nearing the end of my first tank of gas in my SC. I live in the suburbs. Lots of driving to/from the grocery stores, soccer practices, Home Depot, Costco, etc. Most roads are 35 to 45 MPH but with lots of lights which thanks to Murphy's Law, I always seem to hit. Anyways, I'm averaging 16.5 mpg which I understand is just my first tank of gas, but still, I was getting 13.5 mpg with my V8 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. So, I'm at a loss at where exactly all that gas is going.........
mpg is not linear when comparing fuel efficiency

16 mpg vs 13 mpg there's a gain of 30% efficiency actually

·
Registered
114 Posts

Actually 23% to be accurate, but I see your point. And we really don't get a whole lot better gas mileage in our '20 Santa Fe (somewhere around 18 mpg) and that's lower than the estimated city mileage for that car, and that's with my wife driving it. That has a 2.0 Turbo. My history with Hyundai has been that their cars have never been the most fuel efficient vehicles, and quite often fall short of their EPA estimates. Weren't they sued years ago for over-inflating their EPA numbers?

·
Registered
615 Posts

Driving style and duration of trips makes a huge difference. If Costco is nearby, and the engine is barely warm by the time its shut off, its hard to be efficient. If the 45mph road is also littered with stop signs, that's another big deal. If its nice and long 45mph roads with no stops, then you can actually hypermile at that speed, as that's where many vehicles are the most efficient.

That said, I've noticed that for tons of stop and go, weight plays a big factor, and the SC is a pretty hefty vehicle. We had stripped out the rear seats of a Fiat 500 turbo, getting it to about 2400lb curb weight, and efficiency around town at lower speeds was really great, almost impossible not to do 30MPG, slightly exceeding its EPA rating in spite of racing around like a hooligan. If you can't go light, going hybrid is the answer as they also excel in stop and go with regenerative braking and electric assist.
Weren't they sued years ago for over-inflating their EPA numbers?
Yeah, coworker got a big check for that. I thought they fixed up their numbers after that, but maybe they are getting more comfortable now that the magnifying glass is no longer on them since its been quite a while. Korean culture is that cheating isn't bad, being cheated or being caught cheating is bad, basically the ancient Spartan ethos alive today, lol!

·
Registered
615 Posts
BTW, seeing as there seems to be some first year + COVID production challenges of late, it could also just be something wrong with the vehicle. Spark plug gaps wrong, messed up O2 sensor, faulty gas cap, some kind of mild vacuum leak somewhere, yada yada. Although you'd think these days most of these problems would probably throw an engine code.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nearing the end of my first tank of gas in my SC.

So, I'm at a loss at where exactly all that gas is going.........
You answered your own question. The vehicle is not broken in yet. The manual states 4k before oil consummation and fuel mileage stabilize.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All I know is that up until around 2010, every car I ever owned easily beat the City EPA estimate handily in almost any condition, even if I literally lived in the city. Now, every car/truck I buy, even living in the Suburbs I have yet to ever reach the City EPA estimate on any single car I've owned, with the exception of a 2014 Honda Civic. None of my Hyundais, Dodge, Chryslers or Kias have even come close to the City EPA, sometimes 3-4 miles less than the City EPA. And I'm not the only driver in the house. That includes my wife's cars as well. Hondas have truly been the only cars that have consistently beat both City and Hwy EPA estimates for us.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts