Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been spending some time comparing the new Tucson to the SC. One (hopefully) nice feature that appears to be in both is the ability to select the AC to be "diffused" throughout the entire ventilation strip that goes across the dash. The button to activate this is on the bottom row of the AC controls marked "diffuse." Living in AZ one of the main reasons I DO like the SC is the ventilated seats AND the smaller interior cabin. I drove a hard top Miata for many years and the nice thing was the car cooled down VERY fast. The SC should do the same considering you are not cooling the back storage area as you would in the Tucson.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Is that ventilation strip really open? I assumed it was just decorative.

Living in FL I too would love an AC system that doesn't freeze your hands while still managing to cool the whole cabin. I often set my AC to the chest and feet vents just to help mix the air up. I would like to be able to shut off the rear vents so the front cools down even quicker. In past vehicles I've found tipping up the sunroof gives the hot air a place to escape.

As for the ventilated seats: I sure hope they work better then the ones in my C7 which are disappointingly weak.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JMII- yep, according to the specs and media reviews of the Tucson, you can diffuse the air throughout the entire strip, or by deselecting the "diffuse" option, it routs the air to just the more traditional key points for the vents. I am in AZ and have the same issue with freezing hands. As for the ventilated seats, I have been very close on 3 separate occasions to purchasing a 2020 or 2021 Sonata Limited, Kia K5 or a Kia Forte GT, all of which have ventilated seats. I have heard nothing but positives of the vented seats in all three cars. The last time I drove one was during "winter" here in AZ, so the vented seats did not get much of a work out, but there was absolutely a immediate and noticeable cooling effect going on. I too am hopeful for a above average system to keep me from melting and arriving at my destination with frozen hands (AC diffuser) and a wet back (Ventilated Seats)!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Diffuse sounds great!

The cooling effect on the ventilated seats I have is immediate, however the problem is the effect dies off after about 5-10 minutes. The seats are not cooled per say, they are just vented. It does help just weak and disappointing.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yup, nothing worse than cranking the AC only to have your knuckles freezing or eyes tearing because of concentrated blasts. That said, I felt it was a little bit of a gimmick, as I just put the system on half top/half bottom which diffuses the cold air into the cabin too.

Great point on less interior volume to cool, didn't think of that. Ventilated seats also require a pano sunroof on the Tucson IIRC, and that's going to let in way more solar radiation than the mini sunroof on the SC.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rented a Infinity Q3.5 I think a few back for vacation..... THAT car, SUV was awesome! It was black, but had tan interior, leather seats. Heated and COOLED ventilated. Actually cooled. I can only dream of having those seats again... They were the best seats I EVER sat in. Even in a house!!!! They were that WONDERFUL. I now know what the 1% gets. I wish cooled seats would come down to all vehicles.... its wonderful...not more w=sweating AT all. Bring it on!!!!! Hyandai!!! be the first!!!!!!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
Funny you mention the sweating in the seats. That's why my wife told me to change my order to the Ultimate (Limited in the US I believe) trim from the mid-tier Trend (SEL in the US?) ... to get the ventilated seats. I have to say, if they are the exact same leather seats as in the '22 Tuscon, man, I'm gonna love them. I have found very few leather car seats in my life that I've actually liked, and the ones I sat in yesterday were fantastic. Even things like how the headrest aligned with my spine were spot on! I didn't try out the diffuse mode in the Tuscon ... but I don't need to. Seeing how that dashboard is laid out, makes perfect sense how it works. I think it's a great idea - especially when I mostly do longer (1hr+) trips every day and 14+ hours straight when we go to visit my in-laws ... which we can't wait to do once the border re-opens! Maybe I'll have the SC by then. :)

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have experience with Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C cooled seats? Are they any good? The last year of the current model run is one of my backup choices. That and the Santa Cruz were the two vehicles I liked best at the 2015/16 International Auto Show. The JGC equipped like I'd prefer it is really over my budget, but they always have huge discounts, so MSRP really isn't even realistic on them; especially with a complete redesign coming in 2022.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have experience with Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C cooled seats? Are they any good? The last year of the current model run is one of my backup choices. That and the Santa Cruz were the two vehicles I liked best at the 2015/16 International Auto Show. The JGC equipped like I'd prefer it is really over my budget, but they always have huge discounts, so MSRP really isn't even realistic on them; especially with a complete redesign coming in 2022.
Jeep offers the Cherokee now with ventilated seats. I don't know if they are cooled though. It's an extra cost option on the trailhawk. Which is the only Cherokee I would own. (dual transfer case, locking rear)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Jeep offers the Cherokee now with ventilated seats. I don't know if they are cooled though. It's an extra cost option on the trailhawk. Which is the only Cherokee I would own. (dual transfer case, locking rear)
Interesting that they aren't A/C cooled. So ventilated means what? Holes in the leather or does it simply blow cab air through them?

I like this years 80th Anniversary Edition with 80th Luxury Group and Tow Group (it has the ventilated seats). Also have drooled over the Limited-X model with Sun & Sound and Tow since it came out. It's not really what I am looking for short-term, but can meet my needs with a RTT long-term. I hate that I have to get the huge dual-pane sunroof to get the good stereo system with XM. It would take a killer deal to get me to buy one. I've seen them discounted for $10,000-$13,000 off MSRP.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting that they aren't A/C cooled. So ventilated means what? Holes in the leather or does it simply blow cab air through them?

I like this years 80th Anniversary Edition with 80th Luxury Group and Tow Group (it has the ventilated seats). Also have drooled over the Limited-X model with Sun & Sound and Tow since it came out. It's not really what I am looking for short-term, but can meet my needs with a RTT long-term. I hate that I have to get the huge dual-pane sunroof to get the good stereo system with XM. It would take a killer deal to get me to buy one. I've seen them discounted for $10,000-$13,000 off MSRP.
Well I haven't seen any Trail hawk Cherokees discounted here. They are always the others. The Jeep Dealerships here know just what to jack up as far as price.....OR better still....they take those trailhawks and do a custom lift and wheels and tires brush gards etc and charge 50k= for them...... it's rediculous. I was having my Challenger oil changed a couple of months ago. They had a white bone stock Cherokee Trailhawk. After they added the second sticker to it it was 5k more than msrp. All they put on that second sticker was paint protection, some kinda floor mats, and a rear cargo mat! I have boughtthree vehicles from this dealer...no budging on price. So here I wait to see. I'm hoping Ford and Hyundai kick Jeep dealerships a new one.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My Corvette has ventilated seats and it just blows the cabin air thru tiny holes in the leather (or in my case suede). When the car is hot so is the ventilation effect. So the best way to use them is set the A/C to blow on the floor where the seat fan can pick up that air and blow it on your back. The effect is weak and disappointing. However based on feedback on forums its seems GM's system is subpar, so hopefully Hyundai's has done a better job here.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well I haven't seen any Trail hawk Cherokees discounted here. They are always the others. The Jeep Dealerships here know just what to jack up as far as price.....OR better still....they take those trailhawks and do a custom lift and wheels and tires brush gards etc and charge 50k= for them...... it's rediculous. I was having my Challenger oil changed a couple of months ago. They had a white bone stock Cherokee Trailhawk. After they added the second sticker to it it was 5k more than msrp. All they put on that second sticker was paint protection, some kinda floor mats, and a rear cargo mat! I have boughtthree vehicles from this dealer...no budging on price. So here I wait to see. I'm hoping Ford and Hyundai kick Jeep dealerships a new one.
Take a look: New & Used CDJR Dealer | Located in Hemet, CA | Hemet CDJR

That's in the current said tight auto market. They had many more JGC including Trailhawks in the last month or two deliveries. Last year at this time the deals were much much better. Dealer discounts on top of those stated were huge. They're come down a bit recently, but will likely return after September IMHO.

I always thought the Mercedes Benz ventilated seats were actual A/C (never owned one). My assumption that they are all the same is clearly wrong.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I always thought the Mercedes Benz ventilated seats were actual A/C (never owned one). My assumption that they are all the same is clearly wrong.
Gotta watch the marketing speak - ventilated vs cooled seats. I believed cooled seats use a A/C duct. In the Tuscon owners manual the seats are described as "air ventilated" which tells me they are not cooled directly via A/C.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Gotta watch the marketing speak - ventilated vs cooled seats. I believed cooled seats use a A/C duct. In the Tuscon owners manual the seats are described as "air ventilated" which tells me they are not cooled directly via A/C.
Everytime this subject comes up, I think, "How hard would it be to tap into the center console A/C duct and feed that cool (or Warm) air right to the seat fan?" This sounds like a YouTube maker video just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I drove a Infinity Q 3.5 a few years ago for a week. I had just sold my car. So had family come down to visit. This Q had the finest seats I ever sat in, PERIOD. I saidI could rip them out and put them in my house! They actually cooled the seats. It was amazing. Kudos to Infinity for that. But spockingly it got poor gas mileage, and NO storage space behind the rear seat. I can just imagine the Lincoln brand ARTICULATED ones. Lincoln told Ford three or four years ago, that if Ford didn't give them 250 million to told rehab LINCOLN interiors>>>that Lincoln would be History as a car Brand. Ford gave in. All I hear from those owners is it is pure BLISS in the new LUXURY LINCOLNS. BUT I could never afford one. Like my Dad always wanted a Lincoln 4 door convertible. Sorry for tangent....

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is informative. I assumed that ventilated seats meant they were cooled. How long until we know if the SC has this feature? (Probably when we learn the price 😂)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This is informative. I assumed that ventilated seats meant they were cooled. How long until we know if the SC has this feature? (Probably when we learn the price 😂)
Ventilated seats have been confirmed via Hyundai's website for awhile now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
FWIW, the ventilated seats in my wife's Santa Fe work really well, at least to my backside. I've never experienced true cooled seats with A/C ducted right into them, so I may not know what I'm missing -- but I wouldn't dismiss the Hyundai ventilated seats as a gimmick until you have a chance to try them out (y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts