Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've never owned any Hyundais because I was skeptical about their GDI engines. I refer port injection, or dual injection.
It seems that Santa Cruz, if I'm not mistaken, the turbo 4 is MPI or port and dual injection both. That's enough to convince me to reserve 1.

However, I've always been doing maintenance myself such as fluid and filter changes.
I intend to do that with Santa Cruz too.

In my previous experience, all my vehicles never needed powertrain warranty work (something broke around 100k miles long after the warranty expired)
However, hopefully nothing should happen to the Santa Cruz, but in the event that something powertrain related does break during the 10 year 100k mile factory warranty period, will Hyundai still honor the warranty if maintenance is done and documented (photo, video, parts receipt) by myself?

·
Registered
793 Posts
but in the event that something powertrain related does break during the 10 year 100k mile factory warranty period, will Hyundai still honor the warranty if maintenance is done and documented (photo, video, parts receipt) by myself?
I would check their website for details but normally if you have receipts they should honor It. Per their website new Hyundais come with 3 years of maintenance include, but in reading the fine print I noticed they only perform the “normal“ schedule, not the “severe” schedule, IE: high mileage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the internet, but I think the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is the answer. I believe this is also the progenitor of various state 'Lemon Laws.'

Reactions: REPeet

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would check their website for details but normally if you have receipts they should honor It. Per their website new Hyundais come with 3 years of maintenance include, but in reading the fine print I noticed they only perform the “normal“ schedule, not the “severe” schedule, IE: high mileage.
good call, I just checked Hyundai's severe schedule, they call for 3.75k miles oil change interval. That's pretty intense but I'll follow that because it'll be my first turbo charged vehicle.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the internet, but I think the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is the answer. I believe this is also the progenitor of various state 'Lemon Laws.'
But in practice the question is how manufacturers actually behave, not what the law is. For example, if a manufacturer black lists your vehicle because they found a Uber sticker on it and now consider it a commercial vehicle and invalidate its warranty, that may not be legal in that state, but do you want to be the one hunting down Saul Goodman and going through the years of work pursuing a lawsuit it with no guarantee of a victory or settlement in your favor and potential lawyer fees?

For example, I believe it was Subaru that was making a stink a while back for invalidating people's warranties for using generic aftermarket oil filters instead of their approved in-house one, or that may have even been Hyundai. So you can certainly do your own work, just keep a record of any work done with receipts and make sure whatever brand oil and filter you use is what they recommend or at least has documentation that it matches their specifications.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But in practice the question is how manufacturers actually behave, not what the law is. For example, if a manufacturer black lists your vehicle because they found a Uber sticker on it and now consider it a commercial vehicle and invalidate its warranty, that may not be legal in that state, but do you want to be the one hunting down Saul Goodman and going through the years of work pursuing a lawsuit it with no guarantee of a victory or settlement in your favor and potential lawyer fees?

For example, I believe it was Subaru that was making a stink a while back for invalidating people's warranties for using generic aftermarket oil filters instead of their approved in-house one, or that may have even been Hyundai. So you can certainly do your own work, just keep a record of any work done with receipts and make sure whatever brand oil and filter you use is what they recommend or at least has documentation that it matches their specifications.
I heard it too, I think Subaru requires pretty high bypass valve pressure in the oil filters. We'll see if that's the case for Santa Cruz too

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for all your information, SC turbo use cartridge style oil filter, I was really hoping for spin-on filters, oh well, not the end of the world but that does complicate things a bit having to mess with o-rings etc

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow, really? Where'd you find that?

Definitely a bummer. I spent a summer working in an oil change shop during college and hated seeing anything European come up the driveway because it probably had a silly cartridge filter I'd have to mess with...

I was hoping it'd share the same filter as my wife's Santa Fe turbo for simplicity...

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, really? Where'd you find that?

Definitely a bummer. I spent a summer working in an oil change shop during college and hated seeing anything European come up the driveway because it probably had a silly cartridge filter I'd have to mess with...

I was hoping it'd share the same filter as my wife's Santa Fe turbo for simplicity...

I went to the dealership, asking for 2021 Sonata N-line 2.5 Turbo engine oil filter, it should be the exact same engine as in SC Turbo
this is what I got
I was shocked how expensive it is.

first time seeing a filter made in Korea

this little piece has small o-ring already pre-installed, so not so bad

and 1 big o-ring and washer included. the filter is alright, nothing special.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have no problem with cartridge filters, used them for years, seems more environmentally friendly. Problem is likely that you went to a dealer for ANY part, lol! Dealerships tend to be a ripoff. I always got my MOPAR ones that are factory OEM online in 3-packs for about the price a dealership wanted to sell me one for.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no problem with cartridge filters, used them for years, seems more environmentally friendly. Problem is likely that you went to a dealer for ANY part, lol! Dealerships tend to be a ripoff. I always got my MOPAR ones that are factory OEM online in 3-packs for about the price a dealership wanted to sell me one for.
yeah, well that was a one off purchase, I'll be buying in bulk when I get my hands on the SC for sure. Have you found a source for Hyundai/Kia OEM parts cheap?

·
Registered
668 Posts
My BMW/MINI had cartridge filters. Really easy to change out. I also bought them online in packs of 3 or 6 at a time when buying for another in the same order. I like factory parts because they always have everything you need in the package.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
417 Posts
My local Autonation Hyundai dealer was bought out by a Canadien firm, and was renamed Foundation Hyundai.

They have an interesting warranty included with any Hyundai sold with less than 100K miles. That should bring in a few customers. Applies to their Hyundai dealership also. You do have to follow the customer manufacturers required maintenance, so that is where they get you. One missed service and the warranty is null and void.

"What sets Medved apart from every other Kia dealership in Colorado? Whenever you buy a qualifying new or pre-owned vehicle from Medved with 100,000 miles or less you automatically get the Warranty Forever from NAE. You might be thinking, but I'm buying a new Kia with a 100K powertrain warranty already, what's the point? Warranty Forever remains on your vehicle as long as you own it no matter the age and especially once that factory warranty expires.

This is no-strings attached coverage that protects your vehicle's most expensive components and all you have to do is keep up with the manufacturer recommended maintenance. This is NOT an extended service contract, it IS peace of mind!."

·
Registered
289 Posts
Everything I've seen for the Cruz is that it includes three years of oil changes - that would be according to the manual. So 8,000 miles ("regular" driving) or 5,000 miles ("severe" driving). Let them do it for free and it's all on them!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Everything I've seen for the Cruz is that it includes three years of oil changes - that would be according to the manual. So 8,000 miles ("regular" driving) or 5,000 miles ("severe" driving). Let them do it for free and it's all on them!
The purpose of any kind of 'free' oil changes, tire rotations, balancing, etc., is to get you in the door, where they can start up-selling.

As for Medved's warranty, just think of all the services included on the mfr's maintenance schedule besides the basic oil changes. Ever had the dealer change your cabin air filter?

Oh, wait! You want to take care of that yourself for $5? Sorry. It's part of the manufacturer's maintenance list. To maintain your lifetime warranty with us, it must be done by our trained mechanics. $85, please. Thank you.

Oh, by the way, would you like our technician to add some deliciously-scented air freshener gizmos to your vents while we're at it? They're only $18, and that includes installation -- and they will completely cover the stench/aroma from that Big Mac you had today. Shall I add those to your order now?

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
221 Posts
The purpose of any kind of 'free' oil changes, tire rotations, balancing, etc., is to get you in the door, where they can start up-selling.

As for Medved's warranty, just think of all the services included on the mfr's maintenance schedule besides the basic oil changes. Ever had the dealer change your cabin air filter?

Oh, wait! You want to take care of that yourself for $5? Sorry. It's part of the manufacturer's maintenance list. To maintain your lifetime warranty with us, it must be done by our trained mechanics. $85, please. Thank you.

Oh, by the way, would you like our technician to add some deliciously-scented air freshener gizmos to your vents while we're at it? They're only $18, and that includes installation -- and they will completely cover the stench/aroma from that Big Mac you had today. Shall I add those to your order now?
My son has a KIA with included maintenance and state inspections, thus far no additional charges, they even wash the car.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure how Hyundai dealership services are, but from my Toyota experience, it's not that great.
I've had my old Avalon fully dealership serviced since day 1 until about 60k miles when powertrain warranty expired.
What I found was extremely overtightened oil filter. The filter has clear marking of 25 foot pound torque spec, but I had to use a breaker bar to get it loose. If the techs couldn't even follow the torque spec, I don't trust them with oil changes.
In general everywhere, the techs with the least seniority work on oil changes. I'm okay for dealerships to do something major like engine timing chain replacement because those kinda work, the dealership has to book the master technician's time.

·
Registered
289 Posts

That's why you man up and tell them, "no i just want what i asked for". Let them know you're there for the oil change only. Or just tell them you don't have time for it then and you'll schedule later

Just like Jiffy Lube tried to upsell people (and why i don't go there anymore).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts