Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SH-AWD on an Acura TL I had was fabulous in turns. When too fast in a cloverleaf and she started to understeer more throttle would pivot the car nicely back on track. No other AWD (Element, Land Cruiser, RDX) I’ve had since compares in cornering.

Snow traction is most important to me. Bit it sure would be nice to get a little sporty again. Hence the thread title.

·
Registered
235 Posts
And this, from Hyundai:
Advanced HTRAC® AWD and Towing Capability
Both 2.5L four-cylinder and 2.5L four-cylinder turbo models offer HTRAC® all-wheel drive capability for complete confidence when pursuing adventures of all kinds or for that extra peace of mind when driving in an unexpected snowfall. The HTRAC AWD system was developed as a multi-mode system, providing an electronic, variable-torque-split clutch with active torque control between the front and rear axles. The Sport setting gives a more agile feel by sending more torque to the rear wheels, for a sporty, dynamic experience. This system has a wide range of torque distribution variability, tuned for conditions such as straight-line acceleration, medium- and high-speed cornering, and hill starts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have been more precise in my question. So far I have not seen where Huyndai explains what “tuned for conditions …. high-speed cornering” means. Torque vectoring requires a specific distribution- most power to rear and simultaneously almost all power available to rear outside wheel in order to rotate (drift) the rear end if your front end is sliding out.

Here is how Acura describes theirs:
“SH-AWD® uses dynamic torque vectoring to provide more accurate and predictable handling performance in all road conditions. Up to 70% of engine torque can be sent to the rear wheels as needed, with up to 100% of that torque apportioned to either the left or right wheels.”

·
Registered
10 Posts
The HTRAC uses the brakes to stop the spinning of the opposite wheel on an axle to distribute the power to the other. I don't think it can distribute power left an right otherwise.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My guess is its not as sophisticated as Acura or (for example) VW's torque vectoring systems. For high speed cornering you need that right / left split you get from a limited slip diff setup. If HTRAC just uses braking it will work, but not as good. I thought I read somewhere it splits up 50% rearward. Also the electronic locker only works up to 37 MPH (I thought I saw that somewhere too?) which doesn't sound very "high speed" to me.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Subaru seems to have one of the best AWD systems when you review them on the roll ramps to see how affectively each system transfers power on a slippery surface. I've only viewed one video of the new 2021 Santa Fe 2.5T with Wet DCT on a rocky hill climb, but the guy didn't engage the center locker so the results weren't its' maximum ability. I did fine though and the trans didn't overheat on his relatively minor test.

Does anyone have a link of an equivalent model Hyundai drive system being tested on a roll ramp?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Huge Subaru guy here. The AWD system is one of the reasons I have stuck with Subie for the last 4 cars we've owned. I think the H-Trac AWD system is getting close to Subaru in capability, but not matching. Certainly better than Toyota's junk AWD. Living in Indiana AWD is a must in winter. A good AWD, not an afterthought.

I will continue to monitor because I love the idea of this vehicle. I honestly wish Subaru had something on the drawing board like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts