Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get closer to retirement I need a vehicle that can do anything easily.

Introducing "El Santa Cruzo" in memory of the many El Camino's owned in the past. My Retirement Anything Vehicle with AWD (RAV4 - Got ya! ) is a SEL AWD without Activity Package in Blue Stone with Black cloth interior. Here it is after filling up with Dino Juice near Mt. Rushmore, SD.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle

After all the trails and tribulations with the Insider Program and dealer markups here in CA, I threw up my hands in disgust and walked away for a time to catch my breath and regroup. Then I started hitting the Internet search sources hard daily to find my ideal color and trim level Santa Cruz before my 62nd birthday coming up in October (Happy Birthday to me!). In the end I went out of state to get my new ride. This Santa Cruz is from South Dakota and came with a wonderful sight seeing driving vacation at no extra charge, but did have a $118 one way airfare overcharge. Got to see 3 states I've never been in plus another one I've only seen the northwest part of as a pre-teen. It was a beautiful day at Mt. Rushmore.
Sky Nature Bedrock Mountain Sculpture

I went up one trim level above my original SE AWD purchase plan and glad I did (funny how things work out for the better in the end). No need to add aftermarket XM Satellite radio now; a feature I really wanted so the tunes keep playing even in the outback where there is no normal radio reception and I get my investment market channels too, plus a whole lot more. I made good use of "Classic Rewind" on the mini vacation drive home. Nice to have heated LED turn signal side mirrors, remote and push button start and 8-way electric divers seat with 2-way lumbar support. Didn't really care about the heated front seats, but who knows they may come in handy on a future adventure in a colder climate. Safe exit warning, blind-spot and rear cross-traffic collision-avoidance assist are all great features. Surprisingly the active lane assist that I viewed as a self-driving gimick is actually awesome in real life use. No drifting left or right when you do something unrelated to driving in the car, like reaching for a drink/food or staring at the flat touch screen to figure it all out (texting too :eek:). The 3-year Bluelink is probably a little too techy for me, but what the heck I get that as well.

What a wonderful car! Hope this is the last new car I ever have to buy. Proud to say it's designed and built in America; that's a first for this long time German car BMW Mini Porsche-phile. Love everything about it so far. It sure attracted lots of attention at the rest stops and eateries. (y)(y)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Congrats!:cool:(y)

Gotta admitted you had me going for awhile with that title :LOL: easily worth the plane fare to visit other places. I think I’ve been to more countries then US states - shame on me but working in the cruise industry for awhile made travel abroad super affordable.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
I was going to click anyway ... or it would just wind up on my unread list for eternity. LOL Super happy for your new ride! Great that you got to have a bonus adventure out of the deal too. Congrats!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That was a good one! Had us going!
Here we have another senior that realizes just what a great vehicle the SC is for us old folks that know we don’t need a full sized truck to haul what we actually want to haul.
Glad you found just what you were looking for and got to enjoy a great trip as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
FYI: Wanted to add that the SEL also gets the auto up/down feature for both front windows and auto down when you hold the unlock button on the key fob, unlike the SE. Another feature that made the upgrade worth while IMHO.

= = = = =

Computer calculated MPG's for the first 1,912 miles is 24.4mpg vs. manually calculated of 26.4mpg if the dealer filled it up when they first got it or 25.5mpg if they filled it up at the 62 mile mark that I purchased it with.

I will be manually calculating mileage for a time period starting at the 1,912 full tank I put in myself to see if the two merge together over time. It's not that important to me how great the MPG is, but knowing how accurate the computerized MPG readings are compared to manual calc's will be nice to know:

2022 SANTA CRUZ SEL AWD MPG LOG
MILES
GALLONS TANK MPG AVG. MPG VS. COMPUTER MPG
1,912 (full tank) --------------------------------------- 24.4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts