Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Parts list:
  1. Enkei RPF1 rotary forged wheels, 18" diameter 7.5" width, +48mm offset, bolt pattern: 5x114.3
  2. Toyo Proxes ST III 245/60/R18 tires
  3. Non-metal hub centric rings OD 73mm to ID 67.1mm
  4. Aftermarket wheel center caps for RPF1
  5. Muteki forged steel lug nuts M12 x 1.5
  6. OEM valve stems
Selection process:
with everything in shortage and backorder these days, those Enkei RPF1s are the only wheels I could find in stock at the moment that are the closest to OEM wheel spec. And FYI these are the OEM wheel specs:
  • 18x7.5 +49.5mm
  • 20x7.5 +49.5mm
so those wheels are just 1.5mm more offset, which means "poking" out 1.5mm, that's nearly impossible to tell or notice.

These Toyo tires are a compromise of price (about $150 a piece), grip, and looks. Directional tires are going to have no diagonal tire rotation but since I will not change suspension geometry, I don't expect significant wear difference between the outside and the inside of the tires.

When selecting hub centric rings, unless the aftermarket wheels hub size is exactly SC's bore size which is 67.1mm, you'd want to have hub centric rings to fill the space between. Those PRF1s have hub size of 73mm so it's a common enough size to find such hub centric rings. Be sure to get the ones that are not made of metal.

And for lug nuts and center caps, those are mostly just cosmetics, I kinda created an abomination with neon green and titanium, they look very tuner.

Install process:

I went the route of TPMS sensor transfer instead of buying new set of sensors so in some steps it's quite cumbersome.
  1. Retrieve TPMS sensors from current wheels (20")
  2. Install new OEM valve stems to new wheels (18")
  3. Attach TPMS sensors to the 18" new valve stems
  4. Install the hub centric rings to the 18"
  5. Balance and mount the 18" wheels with new tires
  6. Air up the 20" and store them or sell them.
The hurdle I encountered was that in step 2, there's no way to safely transfer the rubber valve stems from the 20" to the 18" without causing damage to them, so I had to then buy new OEM valve stems and put them on the 18"

Other than that, no issue whatsoever, TPMS works fine as I didn't change the sensors.

Result:
  • It loses about 15 lbs per wheel and tire, steering does feel lighter
  • OEM Michelin's are nice and quiet, those Toyos are kinda noisy but having more sidewall feels softer.

One last time riding on stock

For storage

·
Registered
896 Posts
RPF1s are some of the lightest wheels on the market... pretty much every track rat I know has a set somewhere :cool:

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RPF1s are some of the lightest wheels on the market... pretty much every track rat I know has a set somewhere :cool:
and quite affordable too
other forged wheel might be 1 pound lighter each wheel but costs 3x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Based on the specs you stated for the OEM wheels, it looks like wheels made for the palisade will fit.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based on the specs you stated for the OEM wheels, it looks like wheels made for the palisade will fit.
Yes, pretty much all Hyundai, Kia, Genesis wheels can fit too as long as they are big enough to clear the brakes, so 17" and above should have no problem. Finding correct tire size is a different story.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, pretty much all Hyundai, Kia, Genesis wheels can fit too as long as they are big enough to clear the brakes, so 17" and above should have no problem. Finding correct tire size is a different story.
Interesting, 17” will fit for sure?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, 17” will fit for sure?
not 100%, tire rack and discount tires haven't updated wheel compatibility of SC yet, so I just went with Palisade and they sell wheels ranging from 18" to 22"
maybe 17" won't work but I think some testing is needed to confirm that

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
247 Posts
Parts list:
  1. Enkei RPF1 rotary forged wheels, 18" diameter 7.5" width, +48mm offset, bolt pattern: 5x114.3
  2. Toyo Proxes ST III 245/60/R18 tires
  3. Non-metal hub centric rings OD 73mm to ID 67.1mm
  4. Aftermarket wheel center caps for RPF1
  5. Muteki forged steel lug nuts M12 x 1.5
  6. OEM valve stems
Selection process:
with everything in shortage and backorder these days, those Enkei RPF1s are the only wheels I could find in stock at the moment that are the closest to OEM wheel spec. And FYI these are the OEM wheel specs:
  • 18x7.5 +49.5mm
  • 20x7.5 +49.5mm

Result:
  • It loses about 15 lbs per wheel and tire, steering does feel lighter
  • OEM Michelin's are nice and quiet, those Toyos are kinda noisy but having more sidewall feels softer.
I'm not a fan of the 20" SC wheels and low profile tires in general. (y)

It has a very clean/classic look @soldthetaco. I like it.

Hopefully the extra noise isn't too annoying. In my case any unwanted noise gets cancelled out by SiriusXM Channel 26.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not a fan of the 20" SC wheels and low profile tires in general. (y)

It has a very clean/classic look @soldthetaco. I like it.

Hopefully the extra noise isn't too annoying. In my case any unwanted noise gets cancelled out by SiriusXM Channel 26.
exactly, I've been driving with no music on for the past couple of weeks trying to find all kinds of potential audible troubles. After that's done tire noise should be the least of the worries.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
Nice choice. Are there four tires or three in the bed of the SC, hard to tell from the pictures, @soldthetaco?

I always stick with the OEM, but if I owned the wheels on the lower trim SC, they would have to be changed (too much like a Crosstrek). It saves me money and time in the decision making process.

BTW, the Ridgeline will hold all 4 18" tires in the bed laying flat, probably not the 20" though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice choice. Are there four tires or three in the bed of the SC, hard to tell from the pictures, @soldthetaco?

I always stick with the OEM, but if I owned the wheels on the lower trim SC, they would have to be changed (too much like a Crosstrek). It saves me money and time in the decision making process.

BTW, the Ridgeline will hold all 4 18" tires in the bed laying flat, probably not the 20" though.
The only difference between the 18" and 20" are the actual rims. The tires end up being the same physical size with the exception of 0.2" in circumference difference.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I could fit 4 in vertically only though, I didn't check but I'm pretty sure the tire diameters aren't that much different between SC and Ridgeline

1 - 20 of 24 Posts