Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. This is our first Hyundai. Haven’t gotten the truck yet (early November) but would like to be prepared when we sit with the finance guy. Are there extended warranties available for the SC? For example, you can get multiple variations of a Chrysler Corp warranty (3,5,8 year, various mileage, different deductible) either from the dealer or on line. Does Hyundai offer something similar? Who got a warranty (if they are available) and what are your particulars?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why would you get an extended warranty when the car comes with a warranty? You're paying for something you already have. If you keep the car long enough for the basic warranty to be close to expiring, then you can get an extended warranty at a much lower cost buying a Hyundai warranty online or by finding a well rated aftermarket warranty. The dealerships charge the highest price at time of purchase. As I said, you won't/can't use the extended warranty for a long time, so why not keep your money till then. As an example, I had a Ram pickup a while back. The dealer wanted a few thousand for an extended warranty at point of sale (all profit for them which is why they push it so hard). I passed. When the truck was about to reach the end of the basic part of the warranty (still had a ways to go for the drivetrain part), I contacted one of many dealerships around the country that advertise official factory warranties and I got that same extended warranty for $1,000. I kept my money for three years and then saved a couple thousand dollars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not worried about getting the warranty right away, depending on the length of coverage. I understand my Hyundai new car warranty covers the first 5 years or so. On my Jeep I purchased the FCA Maxcare Lifetime warranty, $100 deductible within 3 weeks of getting the car. About 3 months later they stopped offering them.Got it on line at a much cheaper price then the dealer, and glad I got it when I did. Made out like a bandit with the same warranty on my Dodge Journey.
I realize the car comes with a warranty, but since cars are rolling computers I want something that covers the majority of the cost of replacement of them. Not a fan of shelling out $1500 because the BCM or such thing fried. Rather pay that for a warranty and cover all the electronics. Would rather pull into the dealer knowing it’s going to cost $100, not worrying what’s wrong and what’s it going to cost, buts that’s me. 🙂

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hyundai has the best and longest factory warranty in the business. I'm good with that.

Understand aftermarket warranties are marked up 100% and contain lots of "Gotchas"..

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
I also did very well with the extended warranty on my old Journey. LOL i have no idea what you can get in the US, but you already have the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. We get half of that in Canada. (5 year/100,000km - about 60,000 miles) I do about 1,000km per week on average, so I went to the 200,000km warranty. Covers pretty much everything but brake pads/rotors and air filters. Even things I would call wear items, like ball joints!

As you said, there is WAY too much tech in these things when stuff starts going wrong. And if I never use it, well, it was many years of peace of mind. That's easily worth the money to me. I'd think about it much less if I had the US warranty.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
185 Posts
I didn't get one with my 2012 Veloster, nor did I get one with the Santa Cruz. As others have said, the manufacturer's standard warranties are plenty long. And from my experience, issues that would have needed the warranty to resolve are few & far between. We have 125k miles on the Veloster, and the things that are needing service now are things that wouldn't be covered by a warranty, anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
” I went to the 200,000km warranty. Covers pretty much everything but brake pads/rotors and air filters. Even things I would call wear items, like ball joints!

As you said, there is WAY too much tech in these things when stuff starts going wrong. And if I never use it, well, it was many years of peace of mind. That's easily worth the money to me. I'd think about it much less if I had the US warranty.
‘This is exactly what I’m looking for! Yes there is a 10year/100k mile POWERTRAIN warranty, but what about everything else? 5 year/60k miles. I keep my vehicles a lot longer than I used to. Just got rid of my 03 Sebring convertible and my 09 Dodge Journey. My 18 Jeep Cherokee (with the lifetime Maxcare Warranty) is going to be around a LONG time.

Anyway, where did you get your warranty? Is it a third party or factory? Approx cost?

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you go in to buy one you should get sample pricing with aftermarket warranty. Sometimes can haggle them down with that since they up the cost a lot.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Anyway, where did you get your warranty? Is it a third party or factory? Approx cost?
I bought the Hyundai Premius Plus (or whatever the top shelf one is called) directly through my dealer. I think it was around $4,200 for the 200,000km term. A few hundred more than I hoped, but in the long-run, it will either pay for itself, or if it goes unused by the end of the term, they'll credit it to a future Hyundai vehicle, if I remember what I read correctly. Either way, yeah, it's a chunk of change, but I'm comfortable with my choice. Not like they forced it on me - I asked them about it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was on the fence about this as well and told myself I wasn't going to get any extra warranties. But as you were saying.....10 yr/100k mile powertrain but only 5 year/60k bumper to bumper. So b/c there is so much techy stuff in the Limited, I didn't want to have to ever worry about some electronics or A/C seats or something going bad after 5 years and ended up getting an extra 5 years to match the Powertrain of 10 years. They even threw in the dent and tire protection...which I always seem to pop a tire with the pot holes in Jersey. They wanted something outrageous like 4k but was able to get everything with the tire and dent protection for $1,500. Like someone else said...it is just a peace of mind. Especially since I have no idea what that techy stuff would cost to fix since my old car was 18 years old and still had a tape deck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was on the fence about this as well and told myself I wasn't going to get any extra warranties. But as you were saying.....10 yr/100k mile powertrain but only 5 year/60k bumper to bumper. So b/c there is so much techy stuff in the Limited, I didn't want to have to ever worry about some electronics or A/C seats or something going bad after 5 years and ended up getting an extra 5 years to match the Powertrain of 10 years. They even threw in the dent and tire protection...which I always seem to pop a tire with the pot holes in Jersey. They wanted something outrageous like 4k but was able to get everything with the tire and dent protection for $1,500. Like someone else said...it is just a peace of mind. Especially since I have no idea what that techy stuff would cost to fix since my old car was 18 years old and still had a tape deck!
Was that the Hyundai extended or aftermarket? If Hyundai, I wonder if they sale to people who didn't buy there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Was that the Hyundai extended or aftermarket? If Hyundai, I wonder if they sale to people who didn't buy there.
It was the same place I bought my SC. Lehigh Valley Hyundai, PA.

They kind of knew I didn't want any of the warranties and it was closing time.... so the "back manager" kept plugging in numbers until it was the lowest possible for him to submit. Could of been total b.s. but it was affordable enough for me in my monthly payments so I was happy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For the Canadians here… our warranty isn’t as good as you have in the states. Our basic coverage is 5yr/100,000km for powertrain and 3yr/60,000km comprehensive

i gotten a quote from a third party provider and it’s significantly cheaper… approx 50%
and Hyundai doesn’t have the duration+km I’m looking for
see attached- first one is third party and second from Hyundai Canada website…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yep, that's a lot cheaper. But the grand question is ... who accepts that warranty when you need the work done? Part of what you're paying for with the Hyundai warranty is knowing your butt is covered at any Hyundai dealer in Canada/US. I'd have to be darn sure I knew the other warranty was accepted the same way before I'd hand them my money. I've heard the tales of people saying, "But I have an extended warranty!" Only to hear, "Sorry, we don't accept 3rd party warranties. Here's the bill, you can submit it to get your money back."

Make sure you do your homework. Remember, insurance companies are out to make money .. if they're not charging much, it's probably because they don't expect to have to pay out. Check the fine print, ask your dealer if it's accepted for repairs. If not, check with independent shops around you to see if any of them honour that warranty. If nobody does, run. There ARE legal scammers out there. It takes two parties to honour an extended warranty ... the warranty provider and a mechanic/shop willing to wait for them to pay up. That latter isn't the former's problem to worry about.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, that's a lot cheaper. But the grand question is ... who accepts that warranty when you need the work done? Part of what you're paying for with the Hyundai warranty is knowing your butt is covered at any Hyundai dealer in Canada/US. I'd have to be darn sure I knew the other warranty was accepted the same way before I'd hand them my money. I've heard the tales of people saying, "But I have an extended warranty!" Only to hear, "Sorry, we don't accept 3rd party warranties. Here's the bill, you can submit it to get your money back."

Make sure you do your homework. Remember, insurance companies are out to make money .. if they're not charging much, it's probably because they don't expect to have to pay out. Check the fine print, ask your dealer if it's accepted for repairs. If not, check with independent shops around you to see if any of them honour that warranty. If nobody does, run. There ARE legal scammers out there. It takes two parties to honour an extended warranty ... the warranty provider and a mechanic/shop willing to wait for them to pay up. That latter isn't the former's problem to worry about.
Ya, I get your concerns and third party providers can be shady…
Having used third party on a used vehicle in the past, it’s not nearly as convenient as factory warranty. But had no issues using my regular garage, but some will only allow their approved in network mechanics…

for my Veloster, I used my third party quote to get a $1,500 discount on the P-plus 200,000km plan from the dealer.. I suspect, it might not be a good of a discount this time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That's awesome. They key is knowing the gotchas going into it. A lot of people do NOT and wind up burned by it. But if you've done your homework, you can definitely save a few bucks that way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really have mixed feelings about the extended warranties. I've had one on the last 4 vehicles I've had. All of them from National sold by the dealers. I've only used 2 of them. One on my 07 Mustang GT and one on my 06 F250 Lariat. In both cases I got the run around. On the Mustang I had a passenger side widow sensor that didn't work right. The windows are supposed to drop about 3/4 of an inch when the door is opened and then close tight when the door is closed on mine it most of the time stayed down which lets the rain in. But worse than that some times the window would go more than half way down and stay there leaving the car open to intruders. When I took it in to the dealer the first time they said they reprogramed the computer in the door and charged my my deductible. Really...reprogramed the computer?? Instead of replacing the sensor?? They use the word computer to scare the consumer. So the problem came back and I went into the dealer again, this time after the original warranty had expired and lo and behold the National warranty didn't cover the "computer". On the second vehicle, only the 2nd vehicle I had ever purchased new, I also purchased an extended warranty from National any at 9,xxx miles after the original warranty had run out of time the AC disintegrated, (the 2nd time this happened on a Ford I owned an02 Mustang GT), the National warranty did cover the hardware and the service but wouldn't cover the refrigerant. Cost me $200+. Now I have a National extended wrranty on my '15 Colorado that I'll probably never get any use out of because nothing has ever gone wrong. So I wasn't going to get an extended warranty this time. But all the folks that have said they don't want the hassle of having to deal with repairs unexpectedly have got me nervous again. That is the reason I bought all the extended warranty's in the past.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to say, I’ve had 2 MaxCare Lifetime warranties on 2 FCA cars, a o9 Dodge Journey, 18 Jeep Cherokee. I got my money back 5 times over on the Dodge, another first model year purchase. Jeep hasn’t had any issues yet.

With the extended warranties I was handed a bookelt listing EVERYTHING that was covered, as well as what wasn’t. Much easier to read what wasn’t. Normal wear & tear items like tires, brake pads & rotors (calipers are covered), wipers, batteries. Those kinds of things. I had ball joints, tie rods, seals,heater hoses, ac hoses, ac condenser, intake manifold, struts, radiator, caliper all replaced (2 times on all 4 struts) no problems. All I heard is either “no charge” or “$100 please“ all done at my CJDR Dealer. Maybe it’s the way they wrote it, but they were always happy to see me and I always left happy with a properly repaired car. 🙂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hyundai has the best and longest factory warranty in the business. I'm good with that.

Understand aftermarket warranties are marked up 100% and contain lots of "Gotchas"..
Sure, the "finance" guy will hit you. Got me for about 3K and I'm not sure what I bought. Just thrilled to have a their first SC and I drove it home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts