Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching an install video of the Hyundai Factory roll-up Tonneau cover on the Santa Cruz and was wondering about a modification to get the 6” inches that the end part with the handle takes away at the top when rolled up. In the photos (see: attached) is a picture of the cover rolled up into the Tonneua box but with out the top cover attached yet. It appears that without the top weather protective cover the handle portion of the cover retracts into the top part of the box but with the weather / top cover installed it retracts outside of the Tonneau box taking up 6” inches extra at the top.

My modification question is this:
can spacers be added with longer screws (2) to move up the weather / top cover allowing the Tonneau to fully retract inside the Tonneau box but still having some weather protection over the rolled up Tonneau with say extra weather stripping added? I have only had a couple occasions when I needed that extra 6” inches at the top of the bed and wondering if this would be easier than removing the whole Tonneau for just a temporary use? I am glad the Santa Cruz is the size it is (The Ridgeline & Tacoma Short bed are both to long for my Garage) the Santa Cruz just fits in my garage with the door closed.

Please let me know your thoughts or if you have made this mod, post photos!

Brown Output device Font Screenshot Rectangle

Font Screenshot Rectangle Fashion accessory Metal

·
Registered
2022 Blue Stone Limited
82 Posts
Could you cut a notch for the handle and weatherstrip around where you cut?
Notch is how Roll n Lock does there cover with weatherstripping. Their notch is only a couple of inches wide and deep due to small knob. Handle not deep just about 3/4 inch across whole cover so to only lose 3/4 inch. Someone who has sheet metal experience could fabricate prototype fairly easily I would guess. Would sell well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Notch is how Roll n Lock does there cover with weatherstripping. Their notch is only a couple of inches wide and deep due to small knob. Handle not deep just about 3/4 inch across whole cover so to only lose 3/4 inch. Someone who has sheet metal experience could fabricate prototype fairly easily I would guess. Would sell well.
I have resources to make this happen. Any chance of a draft picture of what this would look like?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
When you need the extra depth, can you unscrew the two maintenance screws and just keep it up, with out removing the cover? I’ve cleaned the canister out, but have t thought to retract it all
the way with cover up. I don’t imagine it would be easy to remove it from the hinges, while everything is assembled.

mind you a pin slot to secure in position might have to be drilled to keep it secure in position

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Before making any irreversible changes, it's a good idea to consider the opposite point of view: What was the reason that the manufacturer did NOT build it the way you're suggesting in the first place?

Reactions: RetFF

·
Registered
2022 Blue Stone Limited
82 Posts
I have resources to make this happen. Any chance of a draft picture of what this would look like?
I thought more about this and due to the mount under the cover and the depth of the pull strap connection I don’t think it will work. The bottom latch would probably hit the rolled cover of allowed to retract deeper

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar thought about gaining more space, but when I took the cover off the top in attempt to let the cover roll further back into the drum, it wouldn’t work. I think a big part of the problem is the capacity and size of the drum that the cover rolls up into.

·
Registered
2022 Blue Stone Limited
82 Posts
I had a similar thought about gaining more space, but when I took the cover off the top in attempt to let the cover roll further back into the drum, it wouldn’t work. I think a big part of the problem is the capacity and size of the drum that the cover rolls up into.
How did you get to cover off? I took the 2 screws out but couldn’t get cover to lift off. Was afraid to force it. It would only angle up about 45 degrees

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are some retention hooks that you kind of have to finesse out of these spots around the back. Almost have to hold your tongue just right in your cheek to get it. But with just enough force you can pop the cover back and off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was watching an install video of the Hyundai Factory roll-up Tonneau cover on the Santa Cruz and was wondering about a modification to get the 6” inches that the end part with the handle takes away at the top when rolled up. In the photos (see: attached) is a picture of the cover rolled up into the Tonneua box but with out the top cover attached yet. It appears that without the top weather protective cover the handle portion of the cover retracts into the top part of the box but with the weather / top cover installed it retracts outside of the Tonneau box taking up 6” inches extra at the top.

My modification question is this:
can spacers be added with longer screws (2) to move up the weather / top cover allowing the Tonneau to fully retract inside the Tonneau box but still having some weather protection over the rolled up Tonneau with say extra weather stripping added? I have only had a couple occasions when I needed that extra 6” inches at the top of the bed and wondering if this would be easier than removing the whole Tonneau for just a temporary use? I am glad the Santa Cruz is the size it is (The Ridgeline & Tacoma Short bed are both to long for my Garage) the Santa Cruz just fits in my garage with the door closed.

Please let me know your thoughts or if you have made this mod, post photos!

View attachment 13687
View attachment 13688
Hmm I might be able to fit my dirt bikes in without taking it out 🤔 I will be trying this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts